I am “reviving” this old post because I have this problem again since the last update to 6.0. With Android 5.0 the app called YAAB solved the problem. With 6.0 this doesnt work anymore because 6.0 works differently (overlay issue). I can’t find any app that can help me with Android 6.0. Maybe the community has a solution to this?
FP2 with OpenFP 18.04
Display settings: Adaptive Brightness on, brightness set to 50%
When outside or in a bright environment, It takes up to 7 seconds after pressing the power button to adjust to the display brightness settings to a readable brightness.
Especially when I am outside and the sun is out, I turn on the phone, the screen is at like 10% brightness and then it takes up to 7 seconds until the brightness of the display is bright enough to do anything. This means it takes up to 7 seconds until the screen is readable.
This video has been made in the office, so it’s not exactly “outside conditions”. But the first couple of seconds, the screen is so dark you can’t see anything when you’re outside.
Since when does this happen?
Since the update to Android 6.0, the old solution (YAAB) does not work anymore.
Why is this a problem?
My phone is never ready for anyhting, unless i keep the display on or use manual brightness which eats the battery like nothing else.
You know, it’s like:"Let me quickly look this up for…
0s - darkness
1s - 10%
2s - 10%
3s - 10%
4s - 20%
5s - 30%
6s - 40%
7s - ready for usage
What does this do to me mentally?
Put yourself into these situations:
- Every time you want to accelerate in your car, it takes 7 seconds for it to even register that you pressed the pedal.
- Every time you push the button on the remote of your TV, it takes 7 seconds to change the channel
- Every time you hit “play” on your music player, it takes 7 seconds to play the track
How do these things make you feel? I feel annoyed. Very much so.
Often I don’t even take my phone out. I think “I can do that when I am inside”. You know, I don’t even want to use my phone because I know I will have to wait “a long time” until I can see what’s happeneing.
It should be like:
“Gotta check this real quick”
- whip out phone, press power button, unlock, check “that” real quick, press power button, put phone back in pocket
But now it is like:
"Gotta check this real qui…
7 okay, unlock…
What i tried
- Re-Calibrate the proximity sensor, which i thought maybe has something to do with the brightness sensor - No change
- I do use GravityBox and it does have a brightness settings enhancement, but It changes nothing. It does even say “activate only if the stock auto brightness works without problems”. It doesn’t so it makes sense to keep that off.
- Played with the brightness settings. It does not matter if you have your brightness settings at 0 or 100%. It ALWAYS starts at a very dark state, going up in the last two to three seconds.
- When I turn adaptive brightness off, it will go to the set brightness immediately
- Read in the Forum, many problems with adaptive brightness but never quite the same. Also, no real solutions.
- used YAAB until Android 6.0. Now that doesnt work anymore
What I need
I need to find out how to fix this. In all my phones, this was something that was never an issue.