Display carrier network name in status bar

I opened a Fairphone Support ticket about this a little over a week ago (December 2nd), but haven’t heard back from them besides the automated reply, which mentions that “due to the popularity of the FP5 and the A13 release”, they are “experiencing a significant increase in the number of support requests”.
They claim a response time of 8-9 working days, which would mean no response before the 14-15th.

I’ll post here whatever they tell me.

Well, they replied, kind of:

Due to the popularity of our new Fairphone 5 and our Android 13 release
for the Fairphone 4, we are experiencing a significant increase in the number of support requests.
With this message we want to assure you that your request has been received, and we are doing our best to get back to you as soon as possible.

:man_shrugging:

i have an FP4 with A13. carrier name is only displayed for esim on the homescreen. on the lock screen, carrier name is displayed for both sims

Just jumping on this topic to say that we are looking into the inconsistency across different OS versions and devices about SPN; we are trying to align as much as possible the behaviors across our devices, I will update you when I can communicate something more reliable :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Understood.
FYI: just in the last two days I had three incidents where my phone did not work as desired, and I could not diagnose the problem because I could not see at a glance which carrier I’m on.
I crossed the “carrier border” about 10 times in that period.

In the most recent incident, about two hours ago, an important SMS to my handicapped wife did not leave my phone because it had not switched carrier yet. A notification came a little after I had put the phone back in my pocket, but then I was driving.

And, secondly, for some reason now also the notification dots on app icons have disappeared.

Get both issues fixed please, with a patch, or an app or whatever.

Sigh.

Notification dots have become an option in A13, in Settings/Notifications (bottom of that page), and it defaults to off even if it was on before… :roll_eyes:

(I blame Google’s “don’t you worry your pretty little head about that” policy.)

Yes, KurtF, I know, and I switched it ON, but the dots still don’t appear. I restarted etc., but to no avail…

:frowning:

Now that’s strange. It worked for me. :hushed:

A post was merged into an existing topic: Carrier Name with dual SIM

On my FP4 on A13 (FP4.TP20.C.087.20231122) the Settings->Display->Network Name setting (on or off) has no effect on the behaviour of the phone: in the lock screen the network name (carrier name) is displayed, on the home screen and in all apps the carrier name is not displayed, on the home screen I can swipe down twice to see the network name.
For reference, this is how Android 14 on a Google Pixel 6a behaves, where there is also no Network Name setting in Settings->Display (or anywhere else that I could find).
My preference would be to be able to choose what to see on the status line on the lock screen, on the home screen, and in apps.
I care to see the network name because my network supports Wi-Fi calling, which the phone sometimes disengages even when my wife’s Pixel 6a phone on the same network in the same room still has Wi-Fi calling enabled. Restarting the FP4 phone reactivates Wi-Fi calling, but it’s a pain and should not be necessary. But that’s a different topic I guess!

Because you still have this menu item? :open_mouth:
Very interesting, because on mine that menu entry has disappeared, just like the network name.
That would point towards a bug indeed. A menu which does or does not appear and anyways does nothing, while the feature it commands does or does not work is definitely in the realm of bugs.

Do you care to contactsupport? I already opened a ticket one month ago (but heard nothing back except a “sorry, we’re very busy” type reply). If several people open a ticket about this issue it might eventually get onto their to-do list.

Welcome BTW, and a happy new year! :tada:

Happy New Year Kurt!
I created support request 1112358 (such a cumbersome process!) and the immediate response was “Due to the launch of the Fairphone 5 … 8-9 working days …” (same as you I think)!
Really the A13 and A14 behaviour is the same but not really user oriented: either a user wants a minimalist status bar without the Network Name, or wants to always see the Network Name; how simple is that?

Yes, that “we’re busy” message started since FP5 and A13 were released some months ago. Given support wasn’t really fast before that to start with… :roll_eyes:

As for the feature, the way it used to be (you could either display the network name or not) was perfect, there was no need to change that, now was there.
Besides, the lack of consistency between cases seems to indicate that it’s a bug. I only hope it’s a simple one, and they manage to fix it soon (Fairphone “soon”), as opposed to file it under “to be done”.

You’re not the only one, I see that setting too, but it doesn’t do anything. Enabling or disabling Wifi calling, changing the launcher, or rebooting does not make a difference.

Hi,

today my FP4 recieved system update TP25.C.095 which should have fixed this problem according to the description, but the network carrier name is still not displayed in the status bar of the homescreen, though the option is visible now in the display settings. :roll_eyes:

Greets Robert

1 Like

Did you restart after enabling this?

Hi, the current update for the FP4 (TP25.C.095) of today should have this function again. The option is available, but at least for me it doesn’t work. No network is shown.

yes, 2 times. No effect.

1 Like

Yes, 2 times. No effect.

Is there anyone where it works?

1 Like