Display automatic turn off:

display automatic turn off: Does not turn off in 50% of the cases, since Android 12? Someone has the same experience?

1 Like

I’ve seen it happen on mine, once.
IMHO, and that’s only a wild guess, it might have something to do with the newfangled “Android System Intelligence” of A12, some sort of modern cousin of Clippy, which is supposed to guess what you want to do, and do it for you. That includes not switching the screen off while you’re reading/watching stuff or playing a game.
In this case it should eventually learn when to turn the display off and when not.
What’s wrong with good old timeouts? Oh yes, Google’s Pixels run on a machine learning CPU (Google Tensor), and as everyone knows to a guy with a hammer everything looks like a nail. Everything will have to become AI-driven…

no, it seems pretty random.

Well, it would, at the beginning, the time to “learn”.
That been said we probably have different problems, since on my phone it only happened once so far, otherwise it switches off quite reliably.

Hi!
I have the same issue. Very annoying. I always have to push the on/off button to be sure the display is turned off.

1 Like

For automatic screen on / off I can recommend KinScreen (available from Play Store and Aurora). Especially useful if you have a flip-case.

Recommended settings with a flip-case:

• Turn screen on
    By uncovering proximity sensor
  • Keep screen on
    By motion
  • Screen time out
    15 sec after covering proximity sensor

The settings can be fine-tuned with the premium version (my choice) but honestly I was happy with the basic version. Battery consumption negligible with the above settings, but likely more if you want to turn it on by waving it about or something.

My use of the physical power switch is now much reduced.

EDIT: Use of this app does not necessarily prevent the problem specifically discussed in this thread, but it does make handling the phone easier, most of the time.

After the update to Android 12 and also the security update of February 2023 the screen time out does not always work , in my case I set time out after 15 seconds and randomly the screen stays on.

So far, I’ve noticed this once - when I’ve put the phone on the charger. Can you deduce some rules when does this happen? E.g. which app is in foreground and so on… Once you have some idea, you can try doing the same in the safe mode to rule out some rouge apps.

Hi. I have the same problem. It seems pretty random to me.

1 Like

same Problem here :frowning:

same here. Does not matter whitch app is on front, or charger in.
and you are not the first reporting this in this forum…

Thx for this tip! I bought the premium version and now my screen responds to my flip case. This is great!! :+1:t2::ok_hand:t2:

Yes, this sometimes happens here as well, but not that often. I think this is one of the quirks introduced with Android 12 which have to be solved with a future update.

Same here. It’s so randomly, I don’t find any correlation. But so often to be annoying. It seemed to come with the update A12 (which I did quite late) but I’m not sure. I installed WaveUp for easier switch on, but some time before I noticed this issue. I just started some investigation. In fact it seems to come after several times preventing the screen from switching off by tapping on the getting-dark screen seconds before getting off. Then it stays on for at least five minutes. Covering the camera won’t change that.

2 Likes

I was able to reproduce the issue with this method. On my device, it happens consistently after two consecutive preventions, but depending on the root cause, there might be other ways to trigger it.

I’ll report it to the relevant team and I’ll do my best to follow up here if there are any news.

7 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Same findings here. If one touches the screen AFTER it dims prior to turning off, and this is done twice in a row, it stays on for several minutes.
The same effect is obtained through the Kinscreen app by turning the “Manual” toggle ON (to temporarily disable the timeout and keep the screen on), and then turning that toggle OFF: the timeout should then take effect but it doesn’t.

In addition, I’m not sure that the “Lock screen after timeout” setting is being correctly applied. I will endeavour to gather more details on that. It’s important, since even if the screen turns off, if you’ve set the above setting to 5 mins or so, it’s not such a bother, if you’re using the proximity or some other instrument to wake the screen up.

I have filed a Support ticket in the hope that might “bump” up the priority.

EDIT: Some apps will also deliberately prevent screen timeout and may not offer the option in their settings. My Nextcloud Notes app has such a setting, default value is Enabled.

Funny.
It happened a moment ago while reading this topic and after laying the phone on the table.
This is real AI prediction. :upside_down_face:

I thought that was DI {Dumb Intelligence} dictation.

Still I’m way back in the dark ages with FP3, so ignore me
:slight_smile:
Forego the 4
Hive the 5
Kick with the 6