Discussing the sustainability of removing the 3.5mm jack

And else its completely glued I guess? You can hardly compare glued phones and Fairphones reg IP rating

1 Like

Not precisely, it has many screws and clips.

But it is extremely bulky for the amount of electronics that it contains. I shudder to think of how bulky a smartphone would be with that form-factor.

4 Likes

Correct, because Fairphone removed the IP rating from their website as I demonstrated via Archive.org way back machine.

2 Likes

You said you demonstrated it, but I don’t find where, could you share a link please ?

1 Like

I would have preferred the 3.5 mm jack to be replaced with a USB-C port, that is for the FB4 to have two USB-C ports, 1 for data & 1 for charging, to listen to music I use a Aero digital earphones which has a built-in DAC, can’t charge at the same time but the battery is removable, handy to have more than one battery.

Hi. I would have made noise about losing the 3.5 mm jack even now, but the reality is I hadn’t been using it, except to stick in a corded microphone, as in isolating where the sound is collected from. If such a microphone lost the cord, the name “bug” would be appropriate, I would be surprised if there was a wireless equivalent of it.

So, losing the 3.5 mm jack breaks that use case for me. I will try to keep my Samsung alive… it serves me well for that.

1 Like

Thanks amoun, I know this.
But still, I cannot charge the phone
and listen to anything at the same time, right?

1 Like

There are adapters USB-C to Mini Audio Jack Adapter 3.5 mm + charging.
I have no experience with such an adapter.

1 Like

Wow, but I cannot find any in the accessories in your online Shop, but there are a lot of cables now I have found out, all kinds of additional cables and adapters, I am so surprised

1 Like

Yeah, well …
The page, where the IP54 certification was presented was the pre-order page. They most likely didn’t make/pass that certification and therefore dropped the claim.
Initially they advertised a FM-radio as well. That - likewise - disappeared from the homepage.
True, they did not mention this, but just took it down. Which leads back to a lack of communication skills at FP hq. They still do have some room for improvement there.

That’s a bit harsh. IP54 is a standard for outdoor use stuff like lamps etc.
You can find the explanation of the digits even on wikipedia.
IP54 stands for

5x - Dust protected; Ingress of dust is not entirely prevented, but it must not enter in sufficient quantity to interfere with the satisfactory operation of the equipment.
x4 - Splashing of water; Water splashing against the enclosure from any direction shall have no harmful effect, utilizing either: a) an oscillating fixture, or b) A spray nozzle with no shield. Test a) is conducted for 10 minutes. b) is conducted (without shield) for 5 minutes minimum.

Regarding water protection x8 would stand for Immersion, 1 meter (3 ft 3 in) or more depth, which I hardly consider necessary for the average smartphone use.

2 Likes

Yes it’s Harsh, but on the smartphones’ market, this is nowaday something really common.

Lot of smartphones in this price range are IP68 rated. I understand that the modular design of the FP4 cannot be suitable with an IP68 rating, but this is also a pretty bad argument for removing the audio barrel.

Yeah all kinds of extra’s, so you can be extra sustainable and extra fairtrade. :wink:

Yes duh… of course I mention the source of my statements!

Especially when they are made by a “Community Moderator & Fairphone Angel” from whom I suspect a certain (higher) level of knowledge about the subject.

But perhaps we have a different standard when talking about hearsay.

Yes Hearsay. I don’t believe a word i read or hear but if it seems interesting I investigate to decide how usefull it may be.

I’m glad you agree then on the topic of not improving the IP rating.

Hi mike33

I’m not sure if your last post was directed at me. If so I do not agree.
If it wasn’t I can delete this post.

The story is Fairphone had no IP rating for the FP3 and they do for the FP4.

So it is hard to improve something that doesn’t exist i.e. no matter what number you multiply 0 by the answer is still zero. Now as the improvement in this sense is zero you would be correct, but that is not your basis as you used the apparent erroneous idea that there was an IP rating.

However adding 1 to zero does result in 1 and that could be called an improvement.

Adding and not multiplying is a clear ‘linear’ argument not a proportional one.

Just keep in mind, that moderators and fairphone angels are not employees of Fairphone. They have no special insight in company business or decisions.

Another important point:
Angels and moderators are not born that way. Usually they start as basic users like everyone. Only (even years) later, when they have learned a lot (at least in my case), they are asked to become a moderator. At that time there might be hundreds of postings from way back, when the were newbies and lacking insight. But all those postings are graced with an avatar of a moderator.
To cut it short: Not all the postings by moderators/angels were done when those users were mods/angels already.

And finally:
To be a moderator, means to moderate, e.g. deleting spam-postings, moving postings that were misplaced etc.; in essence it’s primarily administrative work and - when needed - some mediation. Special technical knowledge is not required.

5 Likes

3.5mm isnt useful only for audio bit also sensors. I think you can find geiger sensors for smartphones with 3.5mm and infrared sensor/transmitter.

1 Like

And you can‘t find sensors with an USB connector?

2 Likes