Difference /e/OS for FP3 and FP3+

Hey, I’m really new in smartphones.
I would like to change my operating system on my Fairephone 3 plus.
I can‘t find any special /e/OS version for the Fairephone 3 plus on the site Smartphone Selector. There‘s only the system for FP2 and FP3.
Does anybody know if the FP3plus works also with the same /e/OS-version like FP3?

Welcome to our Fairphone Community Forum :slight_smile:

/e/OS (Android 9) for the FP3 will work only partially on the FP3+ for now and will downgrade it from Android 10 to Android 9. It won’t support the (new) camera modules of the FP3+, other than that it’s fully functional. /e/ is working on it and eyes a late October release of /e/OS (Android 10) for the FP3 that will also support the FP3+ and its new camera modules.

So I’d suggest you give it just a few more weeks wait. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Hi urs_lesse,

now I flashed my FP3+ with the newest /e/OS (https://images.ecloud.global/dev/FP3/: ), but when I started it I couldn’t do any phone calls. The screen was frozen and after a while the phone-App crashed. Sending messages via SMS was possible. Also apps like firefox or map works. But the sound e. g. clock or VLC or other media files doesn’t work.

Then I decided to flash the FP3+ again but not with the newest version of /e/OS but the second newest version. The same problems like before. I also tested to take the sim-card in the second sim-slot. But here is the same problem. I knew that the camera isn’t able to use with /e/ on FP3+ yet. I tought it only won’t support the new camera modules, but is other than that fully funcional?

So: What can I do?
There isn’t any update or a newest version of /e/OS for the FP3+ yet, is it?

I don’t have a FP3 but the images you linked seem to be Pie-based(Android 9).
You’ll have to wait longer: probably development is taking more time then planned.

No, the FP3+ requires Android 10.
E.g. the new cameras do not work under the Android 9 versions available.
Then there is a slightly changed speaker module and audio handling.

Therefore you will have to stick to the Fairphone Android 10 for the time being.
But /e/ has announced, to be working on Android 10 and it schould only be a matter of weeks, from what I last read.

But that’s virtually, what @urs_lesse already posted (a few weeks ago). :wink:

2 Likes

Thanks, I did overlook that /e/OS (Android 9) probably doesn’t support the FP3+ speaker module either, so I was indeed not 100% correct back then. It’s not just the camera module and the top module, it’s also the speaker module.

4 Likes

There’s just been an announcement on the /e/ forum.

In short:

We will publish Q beta for multiple devices (including FP3/FP3+) in the next couple of hours.

7 Likes

Is that beta accessible for registered beta users only?

I think it’s a public beta. Can you access the URL for https://images.ecloud.global/dev/oneplus3/ for example? Seems like the Q builds show up in the dev channel which is public (once they are available for a device).

4 Likes

Wait!

The version number says something with “0.12-p” in it where “p” stands for “Pie” aka. Android 9, not 10.
I assume this is the long awaited fix of the 0.12 release which was fucked up in the first attempts.

Edit: I can understand that lots of people are eager to get the Android 10 build of /e/ which will support the FP3+. But my recommendation: just wait for the official announcement :wink:

Edit2: this reply doesn’t make sense anymore as the post I was replying to has been deleted (it was about a new install file for the FP3, but that was not the Q beta yet)

6 Likes

Hey Ingo,
the link you shared contains .zip-folders with the ending “0.12-q” not p. So it should be aka. Android 10, shouldn’t it?
Is it for a oneplus3-device or does it also work on the FP3/FP3+?
But the unpacked folder contains only a boot.img. Do I only need to flash the boot.img or the whole OS?
What about speaker module? Is the img possible for the speaker? If the camera module won’t work with this img, I can wait. But it would be very nice if I can do calls…

Another question: In the e.foundation-shop you can buy the new FP3+ mit /e/OS (https://esolutions.shop/de/shop/e-os-fairphone-3-plus/).
Why isn’t there an /e/OS to flash the FP3+ seperatly?

I’m a little confused.

1 Like

I guess the confusion comes from the fact that I was replying to a post that has been deleted in the meantime.
You can just ignore it.

2 Likes

One doubt, what are the main differences between pie, q, and all the this cute names that you use to use XD Thanks!

1 Like

BTW, there are still some issues with the Android 10 build for the FP3/FP3+: https://gitlab.e.foundation/e/backlog/-/issues?scope=all&utf8=✓&state=opened&label_name[]=FP3&label_name[]=q

Most notably the one about the phone no longer being able to boot when a fingerprint is set up to unlock the phone.
And the upgrade from 9 to 10 isn’t tested yet a.k.a. most likely doesn’t work at the moment.
Also, bluetooth audio isn’t working yet (even if external speakers are connected, sound still comes from the phone).

4 Likes

3 posts were split to a new topic: /e/ OS Q (Android 10) for FP3/FP3+

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.