Defective module - No parts exchange? Whole phone needs to be sent in?

Hey there,

got a defective camera (guess a dirt particle from production) which ruins my photos and videos, plus makes it hard to focus. Fingerprint sensor malfunctions as well.

I though with all the advertisement of the Fairphone being a MODULAR phone, you would just exchange THAT defective module.

But Support says, the whole phone needs to be send in.

WHY?

I thought that would be the idea behind a modular phone? You just get a replacement, send in the defective part - and it could be tested if your warranty claim is valid. Then you get a refund. But being forced to clear all personal data, sending the phone in, getting a replacement for the meantime, setting the replacement up and after all this installing your personal data back on the phone, when it is back. Plus transferring the accumulated personal data of the replacement phone on it, too.

I guess most people would just buy a new model on their own money then, exchange it and be done with the problem?!

I am rather disappointed how that is handled.

Please: Donā€™t!!

Rather see it as a service to you.
I see it this way:
If you got a new phone with an obviously defective camera (some particle behind the lens), and it still passed the test, it is extremely adviseable to do the testing - thoroughly - again and check, that there is no other problem.
You - rightfully - would not be satisfied to get a new camera, just to find out, that something else is broken or breaks in the near future. When the phone can be checked, this at least can help to avoid such an experience.

Well, thatā€™s what I would think about it.
Once the phone is out of warranty, it is a different piece of cake, of course.

4 Likes

If itā€™s only about the camera, it would surprise me if Fairphone wants the whole phone to be sent it. That would be a complete reversal of policy compared to the FP2.

However, if there is an issue with the fingerprint sensor, itā€™s just normal to ask back the phone because the fingerprint sensor is part of the core module (and not a module of its own). If they just sent out another core module, they would be esssentially gifting a second phone.

4 Likes

Hey!

Well, no, the request was because of the camera (fp sensor is a different thing).

They answered, that there seems to be a smudge or particle INSIDE the module itself. Therefore I was shocked to hear, that the whole phone needs to be send in. I guess I would rather buy a new camera then and save me hours of trouble, backup, deleting and datatranfer plus replacement phone. Saves one transport as well, and if the camera module is damaged anyway, it needs to be new no matter what.

1 Like

Did you ask them why you had to sent the whole phone in and not just receive a camera-module?
My guess is, they arenā€™t sure about the problem and want to check, perhaps because of warranty related things. (Just guessing)

3 Likes

However, if there is an issue with the fingerprint sensor, itā€™s just normal to ask back the phone because the fingerprint sensor is part of the core module (and not a module of its own). If they just sent out another core module, they would be esssentially gifting a second phone.

Thank you for that insight! I though it would be modular as well. On all non-modular phones I opened up so far the fingerprint sensor was a standalone piece, or could be swapped along with the backpanel. Thatā€™s why I thought it would be modular especially on the Fairphone.

Now I understand the fuss they make, checking it is really defective before taking action!

2 Likes

Did you ask them why you had to sent the whole phone in and not just receive a camera-module?
My guess is, they arenā€™t sure about the problem and want to check, perhaps because of warranty related things. (Just guessing)

If it was a normal phone, Iā€™d understand that. But with a phone they advertise, everyone can open and repair? Yes, I asked, no answer so far. Will keep you updated.

The fingerprint sensor can be exchanged as well; it is not soldered to the core module.
It just isnā€™t a ā€œmoduleā€, as it comes with a small pcb strip and can not be handled as simple as the modules. Exchanging it takes some more care and might result in troubles more often; especially when the phone is sold to the mass market and not a tech-oriented community. Therefore it is not sold seperately.
You can see the fingerprint-sensor on the iFixIT teardown page for the FP3/3+.
Step 9: the third picture
Step 11: in the top right hand corner of the picture (thatā€™s the picture, that is shown in the following link as well).

4 Likes

@a-real-lemon

Just wondering how you got on with the defect/replacement.

1 Like

Well. Still :rage:

Mailed back and forth.
Then my father got ill. I had to arrange care, hospital, hospice. He died in the end :frowning_face:

I NEEDED A PHONE back then.
So it was like a joke, when the customer so-called ā€œsupportā€ finally wanted me to send it back in. I could not do that, I needed that phone each day. I could not delete all my data, wait for weeks and then reinstall all my s*** back on the phone.

What do they think - that I should buy a cheap phone in the meantime? That goes against all the Fairphone stands for.

Why is it modular, if it is not possible to send replacement parts?

Big disappointment!
I could live with a phone, that performs worse than cheaper competition. That has itā€™s quirks. But I hate the so-called ā€œcustomer serviceā€. Not worthy of the Fairphone.

Customer service , is woeful, for some, me too.

But not quite that. Itā€™s about treating the poor miners and manufacturers not about the end consumer. However Fairphone need enough phones to be viable to project the Fair trade.

Customer support wow! people want that too. Outrageous!

Some of us loose a bit on the way

You ripped my sentence a bit out of context.
It went like this:

What do they think - that I should buy a cheap phone in the meantime? That goes against all the Fairphone stands for.

I meant - what do people do? Often they need a phone nowadays to organize their lives. So they BUY another phone while they are sending in the other one.

And I do not think, they would buy another Fairphone just for some weeks, while their dailydriver is in repair.

THUS creating demand for cheap phones produced under questionable conditions.

I mean, the FP is modular!
Send the darn part that is broken.
Demand the old part to be send back in for testing or whatever.

Thatā€™s what I meant.

1 Like

I tried one more time and send a mail to customer service.

We will see.

I just would be happy to swap out the camera - if they could send a new one, or give me a discount on the 3+ camera, that would settle one issue at least.

As of now, the camera is almost unusable.
Struggles had to focus when trying to take a photo.
Therefore videos are unusable - this struggeling for focus results in a ā€œpumpingā€ action. So video ruined. If you could switch to manual focus, that would be a work-around.

The fingerprint sensorā€¦ need I say more?
At least the tipp with the Tesa-Film seems to help a bit. Just read about this today. Will see how that works out!

I take it your camera is the original FP3 camera, not the upgraded FP3+ one. So in this case you might want to consider these offers (of FP3 cameras):

And before I forget it, my commiserations for your personal loss. :frowning:

1 Like

Hi If you are in the UK I may help with s camera module, but is it a software issue, trying a new camera may help there.

Have you removed and cleaned the modules contacts. That s new csmera may work msy be incidentsl to just chanhibg and having better contacts.

So whilst focusing on the camera, had it deteriorated over time etc.