Data Roaming when at home

Exactly. There is an update needed and we hope that the Fairphone team can include it in their next OS version.

I updated the post about this:

https://forum.fairphone.com/t/falsche-roaming-warnung-in-deutschland-seit-april-2015-wiki/5468?source_topic_id=5340

Thank you Stefan. And thank you Chris of making me call o2 again after I read your email.

For the meantime, until the update, I have found a solution for me with a very helpful member of o2-support. With these, I do not have to switch on data roaming in order to have mobile internet. I had to change some settings in my APNs in order to be able to do this. I will explain this in German since as far as I know it only affects o2-Germany and also since my phone settings are German.

Einstellungen -> mehr -> Mobilfunknetze -> Zugangspunkte (APNs) -> o2-SIM auswählen -> o2 internet
in den APNs (im Folgenden nur die Dinge, die ich anpassen musste):
APN: internet
APN-Typ: default,mms,supl
MMSC: http://10.81.0.7:8002
MMS-Proxy: 82.113.100.5
Authentifizierungstyp: CHAP
Träger: keine Angabe

So funktioniert bei mir wieder das mobile Internet, I hope this helps!

1 Like

I updated the corresponding Wiki post:

https://forum.fairphone.com/t/falsche-roaming-warnung-in-deutschland-seit-april-2015-wiki/5468?source_topic_id=5340

Thank you @BPlm for investigating on that! :blush:
So when you are outside of Germany, there should be the usual roaming warning, is that right?

2 Likes

Exactly, outside Germany, I should be warned of roaming.
Maybe I was too enthusiastic this morning… it does not work all the time, but it works better than without the changes to the settings.

My next guess is that if you choose o2 manually in the mobile networks, it should be fine.

Thanks for the tip. I’ve changed the setting on my phone; the Authentifizierungstyp was the only difference from what was already there. Hopefully that will mean I can leave data roaming off.

My next guess is that if you choose o2 manually in the mobile networks, it should be fine.

This hasn’t made a difference for me. It still goes into roaming somewhat randomly even when I manually choose an o2 network.

@skilpat: That’s a pity.

As to the APN settings: the guy I had on the phone was not sure, which settings the fairphone one’s were based on. He said it must be similar to Huawei?
Knowing which settings fairphone is using, maybe I would call again and find out more.
(sorry if I am not phrasing this correctly, I do not really know the meaning of this)

To me it sounds as if the guy from O2 did not know the Fairphone and thus was searching for the most similar phone, he knew the settings of (which he thought was a Huawei). There are no Fairphone specific APN settings, but I guess it depends on the Android version (?).

So for reference: The FP1 / FP1U run on Android 4.2.2, so my guess is that if you can get hold of settings for this Android version, they will most probably work on the Fairphone.

Well he asked me for both the android version and some further data before saying that it was similar to Huawei, so he gave me further data according to Huawei settings.

I had the same problem in Germany, didn’t want to switch roaming on, went to an O2 shop, didn’t get any help, BUT after a bit of digging I found the solution: just install gravitybox (a xposed module) go to phone tweaks and check national roaming. This way you don’t have to switch on standard roaming and you are able to use both networks, O2 and Eplus.

2 Likes

So “national roaming” in Gravitybox does work? :smile: We have talked about this here, but we did not find out, if it helps.

@michele: could you add your new information in the Wiki post about this topic, please? :blush:

Thank you @Michele! :slight_smile:

The advice about gravitybox given by @michele worked very well for me.

I’d also like to point out that the other settings seem just to be useful if you are a previous o2 customer. However, I (and I guess many others) am an E-Plus customer (or to be precise, a customer of a virtual network provider using E-Plus), so this didn’t work for me.

3 Likes

Ok, thank you for your feedback, I marked the GravityBox-solution as the only one in the Wiki Post Falsche Roaming-Warnung. :smiley:

1 Like

Thank you for the follow-up advice.

Does anyone know whether the new update solves the problem?
It is not mentioned in the list of updated things.

##Unfortunately we didn’t have sufficient time to incorporate this fix in our latest update (Kola Nut 1.8.5)

But, we are working on a fix for this problem - and we’ll update you guys as soon as we have news!

4 Likes

I’m copying this here from a Wiki Post, where it didn’t provide additional information.

[quote=“fotoreader”]

Unter O2 kommt auch eine Roaming Warnung - mir wurde geraten, ein Vodafone Reisepaket zu buchen für 50 MB, obwohl ich in Deutschland bin.[/quote]

Hello? This threat is quite dead. I don’t know about you guys, but I’m still suffering from roaming. Come on Fairphone staff, it can’t be that hard to fix this, can it?! (If it can, I apologize in advance already…) This roaming thing is so annoying!

And I think you cannot expect non-tech-savvy folks like me to install xprivacy or what it’s called and accidentally turn my phone into a toaster, am I wrong?

1 Like

I think they won’t make it happen until they release the next update (which can take a while, I fear).

You do realize you’re on a community forum here, I hope? If you want to contact the fairphone staff, better use the “support” button on top.

Michiel_S stated in a post above they couldn’t put this fix in the new update, so I don’t know how you expected it to be solved after the new update?

1 Like