Cyanogenmod 11 for Fairphone FP1(U) Install guide + experiences

AFAIK the Stagefright bug doesn’t involve only content provided through MMS but there are other security flaws which are activated by simply opening bad multimedia content.
Would it be possible to simply copy the corrected Stagefright libraries on a CM installation? Please consider I don’t know so much about CM so I’m simply applying what I did to test the fix before updating to 1.8.7 using a beta released FP OS.
Bye! :smile:

As the sourcefiles of the CM are up on github, one could try applying the commits performed to fix the bug to the Fairphone repository and build a new version. For that you have to find out what the relevant commits are for CM 11 device and kernel source files.
I could give that a try in the next days / weeks, but in all likelyhood I’ll be in the alps for the next days completely off smartphone and computers.
For what I’s worth a testing environment to evaluate the changes would be an optimum, as for me I have no idea right now how to set it up…

Plus: Right now I have no idea how to find out if people are still using CM for Fairphone. If not, I see little use in using my device as a testing device (and possibly bricking it) for an OS, which no one is using anymore.

2 Likes

I understand your point, FWIW I tested the correctness of the patch by installing the Zimperium app and it said I wasn’t affected by the bug, but I don’t know if it is easy to you do the same without the need of rebuilding a CM image.
On top of all I thank you for your efforts and your good job! :smile:
Bye!

1 Like

Hey,

as there seems to be no real interest from the community into a CM 11 fix for FP1, I stopped working on an update. If you want to pick up where I left it, see: https://github.com/mad-de/CM-FP1

If you are in need of a basic fix for CM11, I’d recommend installing that fix:

put file in /system
bash
su
cd /system
patch < stagefright.patch
reboot

3 Likes

I would be highly interested, but afaik, there is no usable version of CM for FP1 yet, is there?

1 Like

I’m using it with less issues than my gf with her FPOS, but that’s just my two cents.Other then that it is and will not (probably) ever be feature complete (bluetooth, video capturing,…) if that’s what you are referring to…

For me not having dual sim is a deal breaker. Or have I missed a fix?

depends on what you need. Simple calling and 3g should work…

Oh, I didn’t know that. Maybe I should give it a try again.

Hi all. I’m really interested to give this build of CM11 a go on my phone, but I can’t seem to access the domain “goo.im” at all. I live in Melbourne, and have been trying for about a week to try and get the necessary zip file. I can’t imagine why my ISP would block it. Does it still work in Europe/elsewhere? Or does anyone still have a copy of it? Perhaps if the site still works for other people I’ll try downloading through a VPN or Tor.

Hey Nord,

unfortunately this site is down everywhere and the problem ist well known. Chrmhoffmann (the author) has not yet replied to people asking him to reupload the file in xda-dev (I would be thankful for that as well).
I was trying to build CM 11 again for FP but have been unsuccessful so far. You are welcome to pick up from there: https://github.com/mad-de/CM-FP1/

2 Likes

Thanks for the reply!

Perhaps he’s having a break for a while, fair enough. Yeah I might have a go at building it someday if I get time, but probably not for a while, if at all. So unfortunate that there were no other mirrors, but I guess it was still an early beta-project after all.

Early beta at least. But still quite well functionable. Chrmhoffmann deserted the project months ago. Doubt that he’ll show up again. Maybe someone else with come up with an old rom file. I deleted mine months ago, I’m afraid :frowning:

2 Likes

I am also trying to build CM11 for the Fairphone (am in contact with madde). I got a .zip file built, but it does not boot yet :confused: Hopefully I get it working somehow :smile:
EDIT: my github repository with build instructions (not working yet): https://github.com/z3ntu/cyanogenmod_fp_FP1

2 Likes

Hey guys, nice that you try to port CM11 to the FP1 !!! Good luck with this!
Can you bring us up-to-date, which features will still not work (after you finally succeeded with CM11)?
I lost the overview, what is working and what not for which CM version…a link should be fine as well.

Cheers, Robert

1 Like

Jeah everything should be in my GitHub Repository, so you can take a look there for the newest updates about my success :wink: And about the luck: I’ll need that, thanks :smiley:
EDIT: oh yeah the announcement: I got the information that just FP internals got the complete source but they can’t publish it, or give it to anybody else.
And what features work: I really have no idea xD

OK, but I did not find any information, which features of CM11@FP1 wont work for sure, like DualSIM, BT…you know what I mean?
And did anything changed for your work, after the FP announcement about the Software future of the FP1?
Cheers, Robert

edited my previous answer

A short summary.

It would be great getting an zip of CM11 for the FP(1). After some time of searching I found the recovery image which somebody still had on his computer and uploaded it again. Here you find it. Unfortunately the zip file can’t be found anymore… The last comment concerning the topic CM on FP1 came from chris where he linked to another android version for FP1 he built by himself. It runs well and stable, but it’s not cyanogenmod.

Anyway, thanks so much for your volunteer programming work!!!

Cheers,
Simon

The source code + bin blobs will never be officially released (if I understand FP correctly). So all ports (except FP releases) will always be very “unofficial” and Android 4 will be hard to patch if at all (MTK seems to add stuff). And I don’t see any chances for 5.1 or 6. I’m not even sure what sources Chris is using right now. And I better do not ask …