Cyanogenmod 11 for Fairphone FP1(U) Install guide + experiences

Hi,

I have the same problem as you had. I reflashed the Fairphone OS and installed the unified partition update, and then reinstalled the Cyanogenmod rom - but I still only see less than 1gb in intenal storage, along with my external sdcard which is recognised correctly.

I’ve had plenty of bugs to be honest - it’s not a stable system yet, but I’m killing off problems one by one.

I’d love to know how you managed to get one clean partition (although I have never encryted this phone, so it mightn’t be relevant to my situation…).

Cheers!

actually I copied the original FP img file on the sd card, wiped all data (I assume you could have CWM installed) and installed the FP 1.6 update. when you reboot the device flash the recovery image (the phone will ask you by default once the new OS is installed).
reboot the phone and start the FP OS, reboot it again in recovery mode to wipe again the data/cache… and all the wipeable :slight_smile:
install the partition update and then restart. restart the phone again and start with the cyanogen installation process.
more or less this is what I did to solve the previous problem… hope it’ll work also for you :slight_smile:

Anyone else noticing a shorter battery life with CM?

Might also be that I use a different Launcher and Locker, but still much shorter it seems.

I think I have noticed this too after updating to M10, but it might as well have to do with the display brightness settings.

Nah, not display brightness for me. I always have it on darkest when this is possible, no different in usage than with FP software.

Most likely will return to FP software the coming week (when I have time). Makes life much easier in Custom Support :wink:

1 Like

A recommendation for those going back to the official FP software (like I just did).

If you, before installing CM, used the storage upgrader (making the phone storage into on partition) be sure to only use the FP1_Storage_Upgrader and not first do the FP1_Cherry_v1_6_OTA.

If you try the FP1_Cherry_v1_6_OTA first you won’t be able to do any other upgrade (for example no google apps if you want those).

Hi everybody!
I switched back to fairphone OS due to minor issues: bluetooth, battery life, alarm clock. waiting for a 0.3 or, maybe, a 1.0 cyanogenmod rom for the fariphone. :slight_smile:

the overall experience with cyanogenmod was great afterall! i think better than the fairphone OS.
all the apps were much responsive, everything worked very good.
The only problems i encountered were with the Orbot APP (screen freezing, sometime needs to restart the phone or the APP itself)

1 Like

I’m actually kind of disappointed that after the apparently large enthusiasm at XDA of people wanting to port Cyanogenmod to FP and the large backlash FairPhone got for not having open source drivers available, so little is done to further this CM project.

Someone got CM ported to FP, doesn’t that mean all the XDA enthusiasts should flock to this ROM to work on this? Where is all that enthusiasm now? Or is there something else at play here?

2 Likes

yes, I’d hope to see something like a CM-based fairphone OS soon!

I’m more disappointed that FP as a company has become quite quiet after some brave developer from the community managed to port the drivers to FP. At least some more communication and roadmap would be nice, as this accomplishment definitely would serve the product and the customers very much.

3 Likes

At least there has been announced a blog post about software development: Questions about Fairphone OS / software development

Maybe the amount of gifted developers is rather insignificantly small? I, for one, can’t contribute, because I don’t know anything about Android development - but I do have an account over at XDA.

1 Like

Maybe you can use gratipay: https://gratipay.com/on/github/chrmhoffmann/

1 Like

Gratipay looks like a nice way to support chrmhoffman!
I would very probably give him/her some money, if he/she would dedicate some time specifically to develop CM for FP.

Does anybody know whether FP is in contact with chrmhoffmann? I’d be happy to support as well, but it would be interesting to know what chrmhoffmann needs in order to put more effort into this and if FP supports him, too?

Hi cukabeka,

You are very welcome. We have had contact with chrmhoffmann but don’t let thhat you stop from helping out! The best thing to do would be ask him what he needs and I think that the best place to do that is to hop over to xda and join the discussion there.

Greetings

I have installed with succes CM11 under the FP1U :slight_smile:
I follow the process described on the first post but I had a small problem which I solved with this french tips

The bugs I have found in my use :

• the video record/play is not possible
  • when the device rotate (orientation change), some parasites appears few seconds on the screen

But very happy to migrate to CM :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Sorry for my probably dumb question, what’s the difference between FP version of Android and CyanogenMod?

As far as i know, FP comes with the open source version of Android,
rooted and with no google apps pre-installed; so what is the difference
between this version and CyanogenMod?

I’m especially concerned about privacy, does CyanogenMod provide any more privacy then FP installed OS?

I’m not an expert so i’m really curious about your answers!

(i just opened a topic on the same subject, but maybe this one is more appropriated…)

2 Likes

Cyanogenmod offers the latest Android version for your device and expands usability and features. There are also further privacy settings with privacy guard and a TextSecure Protocol based message service included which you would have to activate in the settings. Other than that, I would recommend to check their website or Wikipedia.

3 Likes

I consider myself technically inclined, but since this is my first Android device, and I don’t have a deeper understanding of Linux, I did not try to flash CyanogenMod to my FP. I rather wait until there are more people here on the forum who are happy with it, and could probably help out if I run into trouble.

That said, I really like the idea!

Just concerning privacy issues, you could also try out XPrivacy, a module for the XPosed framework. It’s available via F-Droid, for example. Takes time as well, you can cripple your device with it as well, but I rather like the concept. Reminds me of a usual firewall, but the other way round. “Stop FP phone home”, in a way.

There is the simple and almost elegant “AFwall+” doing this (on F-Droid).

No need to be really geek, once launched it shows all apps and three columns: allow outwards connection when on wifi, when on 3G, when on roaming, and if you uncheck all no comms at all for the specified app.

What is cool is, once set, it will simply wake up every time you add an app to ask the same simple question, check or uncheck the 3 possibilities.

Using it a crooked way one can even eliminate ads from ad-promoting apps… (I only use it this way for a single app, which proposes a paying version without ads… on the iphone only…)