Covering proximity sensor doesn't turn off screen

My FP2 might have the bug mentioned in the title. It doesn’t matter whether I cover the sensor with my finger in a menu or with my ear during a call. Has anyone else experienced this? I think it’s rather funny that I have this problem, while some have a proximity sensor which is too sensitive ^^

1 Like

It shouldn’t turn off your screen except for during calls unless you have an App installed that adds this function.
Also it doesn’t react very fast so maybe test again during a call and cover it for some seconds.

1 Like

Or try an app like Proximity Sensor Finder to see where it is and if it works.

1 Like

I have tested today both during a call with my ear and in the home screen by covering the whole upper black part of the phone with my finger: It doesn’t turn off. I have changed from the Fairphone launcher to the Catapult launcher and disabled some less important Google apps (not Play Store, not the services stuff running in the background), but that shouldn’t have to do anything with it, should it?

I covered the whole black part above the screen. That should have done the trick, right?

As I said: the fact that covering the proximity sensor doesn’t turn off the screen when you’re not calling someone is normal. The Fairphone doesn’t come with a built-in flip cover, so to turn off the screen you’ll need to use the power button.

Now about during calls: To find out if it’s a problem with the proximity sensor, you’ll have to test it. Use Androsens or any other App that can do that.

1 Like

I just checked and you are right, the proximity sensor only turns off the screen during a call. It’s just located so far to the side that during my earlier test my ear didn’t even cover it…

1 Like