Cost breakdown for Fairphone 2

There we go, the cost breakdown for Fairphone 2 is available.

There is an awful lot to consider which I as a layman did not expect.

5 Likes

Although Iā€™m capable of talking in a fluent English, I really appreciate they also have a cost breakdown version in German! This way I can easily show it to family and friends (and itā€™s also an easier read for myself as well).

EDIT: (@anon90052001 ?)The font is too small. When you print it out on a usual letter sized sheet you are barely able to read the text. Couldnā€™t manage to divide the PDF into two pages in an easy way yet so I couldnā€™t print it out on two landscape sheets. Does anyone have an idea?

And again I am proud to be a member of the Fairphone community.

2 Likes

Ok so comparing FP1 to FP2:

• Tax costs increased from 20,77% to 22,48%
  • Product cost increased from 56,92% to 64,76%
  • Investments decreased from 6,77% to 6,29% (although in cash its still an increase from 22ā‚¬ to 33ā‚¬)
  • Operations decreased from 13,85% to 4,76% (Thatā€™s very cool and even a substantial decrease in ā‚¬s)
  • Reserve increased from 1,54% to 1,71%

PS: Why is the Worker Welfare Fund listed under product costs and not investments like with the FP1?

7 Likes

I believe this is due to the fact that reseller margin is higher, is this correct?

This is probably mostly due to the fact that they plan to sell many more Fairphone 2 compared to FP1.

1 Like

Iā€™m really glad we got a cost breakdown now but I still hope for a more detailed one with explanations like the FP1ā€™s had.
Also, since the categories from the two breakdowns are very different Iā€™d like a comparison. I just tried to do it myself, but I just couldnā€™t figure out which categories to equate with each other.

3 Likes

140,000 units per year? Sounds optimistic?

Thanks for the feedback about the font. Iā€™ll see what we can do.

And for everyone else - Iā€™ll take on your feedback, for now enjoy the read!

Not once they expand their markets beyond europe. Most people outside europe donā€™t have a FP1! :smiley:

Thereā€™s an article highlighting the FP2 cost breakdown over at the website of Dutch news broadcaster RTL Nieuws:
http://www.rtlnieuws.nl/economie/home/wat-schuift-dat-nou-zon-fairphone

The article is entirely in Dutch but doesnā€™t really tell us anything we didnā€™t know. I guess the novelty here is that RTL News is probably Hollandā€™s second biggest news broadcaster on TV.

4 Likes

CSV or Excel with company names anyone? Thanks. Nice info graphics btw.

I believe the cooperation with telco companies will make the phone much more visible in those markets so it will compete against other brands and maybe people will buy it.

2 Likes

As this cost is almost twice the FF1 one, it goes well beyond what I planned to offer to my sons and family members.
I remember asking wether there would be support for non-google OSes like Jollaā€™s Sailfish, but Iā€™m not capable to even confirm the end-user will be root by defaultā€¦
Any links to actual details?
I fear that short of strong incentives like the ones I described above, Fairphone is going to become a nice company I helped to start, but which now abandoned me, flying too high for meā€¦

I am so puzzled by these kinds of comments I had to create an accound to answer you.
In my opinion, the prize of the FP2 reflects the cost of creating a product that is durable and ā€œfairly fairā€ without being a mega-brand that can afford selling their products cheap as toiletpaper.

Fair consumption is not only about chosing a fair brand, it is also about not consuming high-tech products like they were toilet paper. I am shocked to see people considering a two-year-old mobil phone ready for the dumpster, and complaining about minor software details and design as a reason for ditching a fair phone.

Fair consumption does not come without you, me, all of us, changing our consumption patterns? We cannot buy new phones each year, we cannot expect to always have the newest and fanciest software. This lifestyle is payed for by those whose labor and surroundings are being used to produce our toys and status symbols.

5 Likes

I agree with your sentiment regarding the software comments by @Herve5, but itā€™s also completely understandable if someone feels that ā‚¬525 is too much to spend on a device. That doesnā€™t necessarily mean that he wants a ā‚¬525 device for ā‚¬300.

4 Likes

Saruman, what you are saying and doing I started a couple of years ago already, and with Fairphone -which is why incidentally I didnā€™t need to create an account: I have one and have been active here for long.
What I am just seeing, is that the new Fairphone model costs twice the prevoius one, the one I have. Itā€™s a fact.
And, well, itā€™s also a fact that I am not healthy enough to offer them to my three sons in these conditions.
I am not ashamed of this. These are facts.
My concern above came from these facts, specially the doubling in cost. Thatā€™s all.

2 Likes

Of course, youā€™re right - I also donā€™t have that kind of money at the moment.

I shouldnā€™t have directed my critique towards one specific person. My point was rather that we need to start considering hight-tech equipment as the luxury products they actually are, which means we have to use them until they break and not only until they are out of fashion, and save up in order to buy a new one.

4 Likes

Yes, I understand this. I couldnā€™t even afford the FP1 without saving up, so I am definitely not the person to shame others for not affording the FP2.

My point is only that a mobile phone IS already a luxury product, although it is today the workers who are paying for it and not the end consumers.

I may not have been clear enough. I wonā€™t replace my Fairphone 1. I wished to offer new phones to my sons, who are close to replacing theirs (one is coming back from Canada to Europe with a locked canadian phone, another has an almost broken one at this momentā€¦)
I fully agree with the lasting feature of the Fairphones.

Finally, on the matter of ā€˜fashion featuresā€™, I have been criticized on this very forum so many times (sometimes insulted, too) that you should check my position. I am clearly among the one that donā€™t like even OS updates. I just want a working phone and not the last fart app.
What I depict with examples like Jolla/Sailfish is entierely different.
Jolla, whose phones and tablets are not at all Fair hardware, does come with a feature almost unique in another area: their operating system, linux-based, is by no means linked to Google/Android nor Apple/IOS. This feature is extremely important to me, as much as the fairness of hardware procurement and buid. Itā€™s a different feature, but really itā€™s very significant.
This is why I mentioned that an effort in Fairphone to get closer to e. g. Sailfish OS would have increased, for me, the value of Fairphone2. Leaving Google is not fashion for me, and I donā€™t find this possibility in FP2, only the (expected, not confirmed) idea that at least Iā€™d be root on the machine, like on FP1.

5 Likes

Thank you, Herve5, for making this clear.

I hope you will find a solution for your sons - and there are probably much cheaper and even fairer solutions (buying second hand and if possible unlocking the Canadian phone).

Regarding the software problem, it was ignorant of me to assume your concern was merely a fashion preference. However, I still donā€™t think this is a reason to ditch the FP altogether. To me, this does not overshadow the issues of conflict-free mining and workersā€™ rights.

2 Likes