Cost breakdown for Fairphone 2

Hi @Herve5,

We will publish information about our progress on open software on Fairphone 2 in the next week(s). For now we have been communicating that the Fairphone 2 will be shipped with Android 5.1, not root by default, but users will be able to unlock the phone to root it.

The questions around an alternative operating system, publishing the source code and a version free of Google services will be discussed soon.

Cheers,
Joe

10 Likes

Thanks Saruman. I fully agree.

2 Likes

Looking at the cost breakdown (and grateful for you providing it), I notice that thereā€™s a reseller margin of 22.97 ā‚¬. Which makes me wonder, will we able to get the FP 2 cheaper if we buy it directly compared to the prices resellers will offer?

Iā€™m following the FP 2 with great interest but would like to hear more about the free software side (a version free of Google, proress on open software, alternative OSs) before I commit to buying one.

2 Likes

It doesnā€™t seem so. The cost breakdown includes the reseller margin in the same price as it is available in Fairphoneā€™s own shop.

I can only assume that they ask for the same price anywhere to give resellers incentive to include Fairphones in their shops. If everyone could just go to fairphone.com and get it cheaper, resellers would have a hard time selling their offers. But resellers bring great value to Fairphone because they present the product to a much wider audience.

So it seems we have to pay the same price everywhere.

2 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: What do you think of Fairphones approach to open source on the FP2?