Contactless payment issue

There’s potentially a change between Android 9 and Android 10 that is affecting other phones too for the bank apps when they upgrade. Sometimes things break during software updates, which happens for any company, reporting the issue can help to get it fixed. As Fairphone is based in The Netherlands, you’ll have a bigger chance of getting the issue fixed or support being able to provide solution.

Most (possibly all) of the UK banks that I’m aware of have gone down the route of using Google and Apple Pay (or even the likes of Samsung or Garmin pay) rather than building their own.

1 Like

For my part I use “Paylib” with “La Banque Postale” in France and the contactless payment works both with Android 9 and 10, for information.

I’m paying with my banking app by Volksbank and it works fine. After updating to Android 10 I have to open the app before being able to pay though, whereas before it automatically started when I held my phone in front of a paying device. But I can live with that.

I think I might be having the same problem, I’m going to try opening the app first! :slight_smile:

That’s what my bank proposed as well. Haven’t had the opportunity to try it yet.

Met vriendelijke groet,

Marianne en Bert van Gorcum

Could you try looking in the settings app for “Tap & pay” and see which app is set to be the default payment app? Here’s my settings in the screenshots. Maybe yours have defaulted to Google Pay or some other app?

2 Likes

Yes it is the default app. The final option I will try is to open the app first and then try again.

Met vriendelijke groet,

1 Like

I found out that the app is working after I first start it. It may be working for ING bank and other banks as well.

Met vriendelijke groet,

4 Likes

Yes, it worked for me too, very pleased with that! Perhaps a future update can allow for paying without opening the app, but this will do for now and one might argue it’s actually safer.

4 Likes

I wonder if changing the default payment app setting to something else, restarting, and then changing it to the one that you need could fix the issue. The other setting “Use default” may also be worth checking that it’s set to “always” rather than except if another payment app is active.

Mine was already set to ‘Banking’, it appears, so I don’t think it would make a difference?

Although it’s already set to the app that you want to use, sometimes there’s some other hidden setting that’s corrupt, and a bit like the turn it off and on again to fix things, the same can apply with some settings, where switching them to something else and back again can fix the issue, especially if there’s a restart between reapplying the setting that you really want. Sometimes the action of applying the setting can tweak some other hidden things too.

Note this might not work, however may be worth a try as I’ve had it work for some other issues.

1 Like

Today I accidentally forgot to unlock my phone while making a payment, but it worked anyway, so I think the problem might have been solved! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Indeed it has been solved.

Met vriendelijke groet,

2 Likes

I do recognise the issues and for me it is still not solved. I’m using ING app Bankieren (dutch) on FP3.
Since the update into Android 10 it immediately changed behavior from fine to retrying.
After the update the contactless payments fails in the first attempt; In the 2nd attemp of payment is usually succeeds.
Sometimes it needs a 3rd attempt.
I am not sure what is the best way to start the payment except from holding the phone close the payment terminal. Should I always open the ING app including mobile pin? or is it a setting in Android as the ING app might have not enough rights to open its self?

please advice what is your best practise?
thanks a lot,
met vriendelijke groet
Marianne

You might try to give the app the right to always run in the background. For this disable accu optimization in the advanced app setting of ING app.

4 Likes

I found just opening the app without logging on was enough.

1 Like

I have the same problem with Rabobank and also with SNS banking. First opening the app works but is s bit inconvenient.

Hello Jacco,

With one of the previous updates for Android the issue has been solved on my FP3. I use ASN bank which is Volksbank, just like SNS. I did re-install the contactloos bankieren app on my phone. You might want to try that.

Regards,

Bert van Gorcum.

1 Like

Thank you both. For me the problem is solved in the meantime. At the stores they informed me that the message “more then one card active”. So I called to ING. The ING helpdesk helped in removing all the virtual bank cards and resetting the mobile payments. It took some 10-15 minutes and after this I could make again an mobile card in the ING app. I had tested it in the shop and it worked fine. Just want to add that I opened the mobile part of the ING app before starting the payment, so I could already enter the pin before holding the phone near the payment machine.

2 Likes