Contactless payment issue

Hello, since the upgrade to Android 10 I can no longer use contactless payment with my Fairphone 3. I don’t know the English word, but I mean the terminal in a shop where you can also present your debit card with a built-in chip. The display on the terminal shows: “please present your card again”, so I am pretty sure it’s not a hardware defect. The NFC chip appears to transmit a signal. When I re-installed the app of my bank, it tells me that my phone is not certified, but that was also the case before the upgrade. Any idea anyone?

Hi Marianne and Bert,

AFAIK you have to use Google Pay for contactless payments with your FP3. The Google Pay app comes preinstalled with the phone. You have to add a payment method (i.e. a supported credit/debit card or PayPal) inside the app. After successfully doing so, you should be able to make contactless payments in stores which accept G Pay.

For further information see

Best wishes,
Thomas

2 Likes

Hello Thomas,

Thanks for your quick response. I am not going to let Google interfere with my payments, so I will do it the old-fashioned way with my card.

But thanks anyway.

By the way: I don’t see Google Pay when I look at all apps in settings, which include the disabled ones.

Met vriendelijke groet,

Marianne en Bert van Gorcum

3 Likes

This is very disappointing! My bank’s app worked fine with Android 9, why can I no longer pay contactless using the app of my choice?

1 Like

Maybe I did not recall this correctly and you have do download G Pay from the Play Store.

Hi Linn,

I just wrote AFAIK (= As far as I know) because I was not aware that one could pay contactlessly with banking apps at POS terminals. With my bank this is not possible.

Which bank do you use that supports contactless POS payments from its app? Just curious.

Best wishes,
Thomas

I have used ING for several years already, but have also noticed it didn’t work the last time I tried.

Ah, interesting. Here in Germany ING uses Google Pay, see

https://www.ing.de/ueber-uns/presse/pressemitteilungen/ing-deutschland-startet-mobiles-bezahlen-mit-google-pay/#:~:text=August%202019%20–%20Kunden%20der%20ING,VISA%20Karte%20zum%20kontaktlosen%20Bezahlen.

Best wishes,
Thomas

My thoughts exactly: why can’t I use the app supplied by my bank anymore? I most certainly do not want Google to look over my shoulder and know where I shop. So they can present me with even more “personalized” ads? No thanks!

I think that the upgrade to Android 10 was done without proper testing: I have already discovered two major issues: contactless payment and I can’t use 4G anymore because this blocks telephone numbers to be recognised. I like to be able to see who calls me. 3G is too slow for quite a lot of purposes. I don’t know what else I will run into, but I see a lot of issues on the forum.

All in all quite disappointing …

Met vriendelijke groet,

1 Like

You can of course still use 4G and have incoming numbers being shown. There is just some carriers where you have to disable the “Enhanced 4G LTE Mode“ as a workaround for the Caller ID issue for the time being.

Regarding G Pay, I personally find its architecture less privacy-averse than many other payment methods. For more details, see

But I do of course understand if you do not trust Google here. So I hope that your bank can restore its service on your FP3 with an app update (or that an update from Fairphone will fix it, whatever comes first).

Best wishes,
Thomas

3 Likes

Yes my guess would be that the NFC problem is fixable, as ING simply doesn’t use Google Pay in the Netherlands. In the early days, they had launched a separate app for paying contactless, but later it was integrated into their main app. It’s not really an issue for me that it’s not working right now, it probably means fewer impulse spendings, but it was definitely nice leaving the house with just my phone, so looking forward to an update that will fix this problem. Would it be advisable to contact support so that they are aware of the problem?

2 Likes

Hello Linn,

I used the contactless payment quite a lot. Of course it’s not a showstopper, but I find it peculiar that an “upgrade” limits functionality of the phone. I only have my Fairphone a few months, but so far I’m not very happy with it. I know that you buy an ideology and not a high-tech phone, but losing functionality is not what I expect.

I will indeed report this to support. I think it’s a good idea if you do the same. Then it is clear to them that it’s not an isolated incident.

Met vriendelijke groet,

Did you also contact ING about this problem?

2 Likes

I paid contactless with Bunq + NFC 1,5 week ago (had Android 10 installed then). It worked. I don’t even need to have 4G enabled for it ie. I don’t need internet connectivity for it.

You don’t use Bunq though, which is fair enough, but I wanted to mention it so you know there’s a successful use-case. I recommend you contact your bank as @AlbertJP already suggested.

@teezeh You don’t have to use Google Pay with NFC. You’re confused with Apple Pay; the NFC on iPhone is tied to it (EU regulators are looking into this, btw).

1 Like

Contactless payment worked fine before the upgrade. The bank (ASN bank in my case) has not changed anything: the app was already installed. I don’t think the bank has anything to do with it.

The 4G issue is not related to contactless payment. I have another (known) issue since the update: as soon as I enable 4G all incoming calls are shown as “anonymous”. I already reported this issue to support. I now have the choice between not knowing who is calling me or having (for current standards) extremely slow 3G internet of 10Mb/sec outdoors.

If I could go back to the situation before the upgrade I would do so without any hesitation!

Met vriendelijke groet,

Might be related to WiFi calling or VoLTE.

Perhaps Enhanced 4G LTE Mode needs to be disabled:
Go to Network & internet > Mobile network > Advanced
Click and disable the option “Enhanced 4G LTE Mode”.

3 Likes

While I get where you’re coming from, you’re missing one important point: even though the app was already installed, the underlying OS was updated. And the bank is responsible for ensuring their application is compatible with multiple OS versions.

Look at it this way: If you buy some video editor on your computer and move from Windows 7 to Windows 10 and the video editor stops working, wouldn’t you also ask the developer of the video editor “Hey, I upgraded to Windows 10 but the application is not working anymore. Is there any way to fix it?”

Sometimes things really are an OS issue, but most of the time it is the app not being compatible or tested well. You really should ask ASN Bank about this, they wrote the app, they are most likely to be able to fix it, especially given how NFC payments apparently work fine for others with other banking apps. The fact that it works with other banking apps shows it is still possible, so the most likely issue here really is that ASN Bank needs to fix something in their app.

5 Likes

I can’t imagine the issue is with ASN bank, as I am having the same problem with ING. I only tried once, though, so will do it again soon.

I asked ASN bank anyway if they are aware of this issue. I will keep you posted.

Met vriendelijke groet,

1 Like