Compatibility with wearable activity trackers (Fitbit, Garmin Vivosmart...)

Hi!

I’m currently considering buying a wearable activity tracker. I’ve tried to download their associated apps and fiddle with them before committing to a purchase, only to realise that there may be compatibility issues.

For example, the Gamin Connect app tells me that vivosmart HR requires Bluetooth Smart to sync, and that my Android device and/or operating system does not support Bluetooth Smart.

Up, the app for Jawbone activity trackers, alerts me that some Jawbone wristbands require BLE, which is not supported by my device; I can’t even install their second, Smart Coach app as I get the message “Your device isn’t compatible with this version”.

I have succeeded in downloading the Fitbit app, but I can’t go any further with it because I don’t actually have the wristband. Any experiences with this?

I also had my eyes on the Polar A360, but again I get the message that my device is not compatible with their apps Polar Beat and Polar Flow.

Has anyone here used any of these activity trackers and managed to sync with their Fairphone 1?

Thanks!

C

1 Like

Most activity trackers need Android 4.4. #kitkat to work. You’ll have to be patient some weeks until the upgrade is released for our FP1(U)s.

Thanks, Stefan! It’d still be really good for me to hear of experiences of Fairphone 1 and activity trackers, if any at all, given that compatibility may not only be affected by the Android version on the phone but also the Bluetooth - am I right?

C

With the FP1 it actually is. The chipset has support for BLE, but Android 4.2.2 (which is the current Fairphone OS Kola Nut) doesn’t implement it. BLE is only supported from Android versions 4.4 and above.

1 Like

Here is an old wiki about compatible gear.
Once kitkat is released we should update it:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.