Communicating with the users

Where was this documented? I only found speculations in the forum that overheating may be a reason for the screen getting dimmed to cool down the device - but no definitive statetment by Fairphone. Or did I miss anything?

Again a good reason to have a kind of public bugtracker where this could be found easily and not by searching the whole user forum.

Thanks, you’re so right!

just a bit unrealistic if not in business-business context. There is always a big difference in support to normal privat 1 man customer compared to business customer. Not saying this is how I would whish it to be, still its how it is.

hidden as the solution tag was removed/not wanted by OP, as it is not real solution, however so no-one will find joining the party late

Well - this would be perfect example for a bugtracker to let people know that Fairphone is aware of this issue and what possible solutions may be implemented in the future.

3 Likes

in a nutshell

What ever they come up with, its never enough, there is always “yes, but I want…”

Be it an explanation of the job description of the community moderator or a way to try to be more transparent (and yes there I also put some critics) or whatever. so somehow a game you can never win.

1 Like

dont worry, most people only want a smartphone which is working without serious flaws. and this is all I have ever asked for here.

8 Likes

This times a hundred. The camera bug is slowly breaking me at this point.

My only “I also want…” is that I want the ability to set the max battery to 80%. That is all.

1 Like

I discovered you can do that with the latest CalyxOS. That implies installing CalyxOS though, something you might not want to do.

I need Google Pay in my life, unfortunately. At least until I buy a Garmin watch

1 Like

I haven’t tried it, but I assume Google Pay doesn’t work in anything but the full blown Google spyware stack, and certainly not with MicroG, right?

I pay with an NFC implant, so I never need a cellphone (or a wallet). But infrequently I use iCard pay, which works pretty much exactly like Google pay, only it’s not Google, and the iCard client works fine in CalyxOS.

NFC implant? You mean an implant in your hand or something?

1 Like

Correct.

Well - the NFC implant is just like a credit or debit card with NFC and may be less secure than using a smartphone as it can be read always while a smartphone needs at least an active display and above a certain limit also an unlocked device.

Edit: does iCard require a locked bootloader to provide payment via NFC?

Exactly:

It looks like this:

(Sorry, off-topic…)

Nah. The range is much too short and it only couples in certain positions. Unless I was unconscious or asleep, you couldn’t sneak up on me and ring up a sale on a POS terminal without me seeing you coming from a mile away.

Nope. I have a Nokia 4.2 with the bootloader unlocked (I haven’t flashed anything on it in the end, because the ROM looked fishy, but I left the bootloader unlocked just in case) and it’s perfectly happy to run iCard.

1 Like

I’ve seen videos where a guy managed to use mobile Sumup terminals to charge money without the people noticing it. In a crowded situation one may not always be aware of such things, even if they may not be very likely.

That’s just not happening with an implant. It took me weeks to learn how to hit the sweet spot on most terminals to couple the implant and the antenna reliably. There’s a very precise move to make, and a timing. There’s no way in hell anyone could pull off a drive-by contactless payment on my hand without me being physically incapacitated: they’d have to grab my hand, set my finger on the terminal just so at the right spot and in the right position, and do it in such a way that the implant couples 100% rightaway without losing contact mid-transaction.

You might pull it off with a full-size card in someone’s pocket. But with an implant, believe me, that’s just not a thing. They’re much too finicky to effect a sale without a very deliberate action.

(Sorry mods this is very off-topic. I’ll just drop it now :slight_smile:)

You could just use reply as linked topic when you go off-topic in a topic

3 Likes

Oh right, I wasn’t aware sorry. I’ll use it next time I go on a tangent.

Funny because I patronize other forums that use Discourse (and I love Discourse) but I never noticed that button. You learn something new every day :slight_smile:

2 Likes

to be honest: if it was like that, FP would have long told us that it’s not their direct fault and that they depend on others to solve tge issue and that they are a small company which clearly isn’t able to apply sufficient pressure to their suppliers yada yada. most customers would understand and probably would accept or even support FP’s “David vs. Goliath” position.

but what FP is communicating (edited)? nothing of the above. therefore currently arguments like “it’s not FPs fault” don’t have any value for me but are pure speculations (which admittedly sound logical though!)

You don’t know what they’re doing. That’s what you’re mad about.

2 Likes