Communicating with the users

You don’t know what they’re doing. That’s what you’re mad about.

2 Likes

The communication of this company leaves a lot to be desired, indeed.

Personally this dimming issue is something I genuinely despise with this phone, but it’s not even close to being as annoying as the sudden involuntary shutdowns or the camera driver freezing requiring a reboot.

The latter is something my friends laugh at me over, and the former can seriously screw me over in a multitude of ways depending on when it happens.

1 Like

I’m sure I should research this more before asking but I’ll ask anyway: are you sure it’s a bug that affects all Fairphone 4s and not a hardware problem in your particular phone? A quick search in this here forum turned up nothing and I sure haven’t had the beginning of a hint of a problem with my cameras, even though I take a lot of pictures all the time.

Here are the threads with the issues I’m experiencing. The camera issues started happening out of nowhere 2 months ago and have been happening since. I don’t think it’s a hardware issue.

yes, you’re right, indeed I wanted to write about their bad communication and not say that they’re not working on the issues. however: as long as they don’t explain, the fault for the missing solution of the dim issue is fully on their side.

3 Likes

That certainly looks like the consequence of an OS upgrade. A new version has just come out so that might help, though neither of your bugs is mentioned. More details:

For the reboots, as you know, may be linked to base station equipment or configuration.

To get back to the subject of communicating with users (oops sorry for the digression, though the above contains an example of good communication), I notice a prominently pinned topic in the forum providing an update on FP3 fingerprint sensors. Already mentioned by AnotherElk, but a long way above. The sort of communication we’re looking for.

2 Likes

I’m a beta tester so I’ve had this update for weeks now. It didn’t fix the camera issue at all unfortunately.

Really…love the brand but this is getting on my nerves more and more.

I got in contact with someone at Fairphone who was going to look in to this…so far no news.

I mean great…you are spending cash on tv commercials…but how about just fixing the product 1st.

6 Likes

I had very frequent GhostTouches as well and sent the device in for repair.
The screen has been replaced but no further information was given to me.

On the return shipping UPS had difficulties finding my adress and I was not able to update it online. UPS did also not react on a Mail. So they sent it back to the French repair center.

And that is where the story becomes really disappointing. I wrote during two weeks several E-Mails to the Fairphone support but became no Feedback at all. one week ago I decided to contact them by Phone except that the friendly lady ensured that they will take care now. Nothing happend. :grimacing:

So I am now 4 weeks without the quite expensive Phone and am still not able to test their fix.
The good thing: I use a 6 years old Samsung Galaxy S7 as a replacement and except the small storage It’s not too bad

• No Ghost inputs
  • Acceptable Battery life
  • Good and quick camera
  • no trouble connecting via bluetooth
  • Good sound quality during phone calls

If the FP4 finds its way back to me I assume I’ll sell it even if the Idea of an sustainable product was very appealing to me :weary:

5 Likes

@O.o, I experience random shutdowns and the brightness issue too. I also have had once or twice the camera freeze, if I recall correctly.

I’m sad too. When I bought this phone I found it pretty great. Then it slowly starts creeping into my mind that Fairphone just doesn’t care about their device. They care a lot about the factory workers and the environment, sure, but the devices themselves strike me as overpriced beta products.

I’ve never used a FP3, but I have an FP4 and if my fingerprint reader in practice stopped working I’d be pretty upset. Then again, this phone constantly annoys me with day 1 bugs that almost 2 years later hasn’t been fixed or even acknowledged officially in some cases.

Back to the FP3, I think they at the very least could have included a message about the fingerprint reader in the update notification :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

They did although it was bit of an afterthought.

Maybe a) you’d like to note them here and b) Have you contacted Fairphone personally.

As this topic is about the Fingerprint sensor so it is off topic to go into details of your other disappointments, so maybe contact them and check for topics that relate to your issues and pump them up a bit.

It has already been posted ad infinitum already.

Why? Several others have already done it, and Fairphone employees have even responded in some of the threads with the issues, specifically the bootloader bug where 2 employees have responded. Yet the CM seems completely oblivious about the issue.

Yeah it’s off topic alright, but I was pointing out a systematic issue with Fairphone. There is zero communication before they do something. I get the feeling that updates come out of the blue every single time, sometimes breaking things in the process.

Yes luckily not something I am likely to come across, but isn’t that an FP4 issue not an FP3 ?

Got that, which is why such comments have been moved here :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yeah it’s off topic alright, but I was pointing out a systematic issue with Fairphone. There is zero communication before they do something. I get the feeling that updates come out of the blue every single time, sometimes breaking things in the process.

2 Likes

In fact, the beta testers are lucky since they communicate bugs and get a fast answer :speak_no_evil:

1 Like

We can communicate bugs on their bug tracker, yes. But IMO the communication over there is pretty lacking as well.

2 Likes

Software needs a bug tracker for A13 on FP3+.
A forum is not a bug tracker.
Am I missing something?

3 Likes

This has been discussed many times, so I moved your post to the latest. Please read above.

Edit and in short: there is no public bug tracker.

3 Likes

There is no public bug tracker and I don’t think that Fairphone will ever provide one again.

2 Likes