Clock keeps running late

Hi,

The clock of my Fairphone 3 (not plus) keeps running late every now and then. Usually it was only 1 or 2 minutes, so I didn’t bother posting myself after not finding a fix. But today the clock is 6 Minutes late, which is unacceptable. (See Screenshot here: https://i.imgur.com/QKmtNec.jpg. Compare the time shown by the website with the time shown by the phone in the top left corner of the screen). The issue resolves itself from time to time, but I have yet to figure out how to reliably trigger this.

I am currently running Android 11, security update April 5th. Build number is “8901.4.A.0010 release keys” in case that’s relevant for troubleshooting.

The System is set to (System > Date & Time):
use network provided time: yes
use network provided timezone: yes

My impression is that the system does not regularly check the time on the network. Instead it relies too much on the built in clock to keep time, which in my case runs unusually slow. Is there a way to set the system to check the network time more frequently?

Regards Julian

Welcome our community forum. :+1:

I remember that in the past such problems sometimes occured as a result of a wrong network time. So in those cases, it wasn’t that that the system clock was slow, it was just “corrected” to a wrong time. Have you done a brief online search if this problem is reported currently by other customers of your network?

But if you want to test your own impression that the system clock is running late, you might want to just set the system settings you mentioned to “no” on both settings and test it for a day or so.

4 Likes

Hi and welcome to the forum.

I’ve always had my computers and phones set manually and the only problem is if i remove the battery then I have to reset the time.

My reasoning is that I don’t want my phone/computer calling out to some server whenever it is programmed to.

I agree. I also second (no pun intended :wink: ) Urs’s suggestion to let your phone’s clock run without correction for a few days. Drift shouldn’t exceed a few seconds per week.

@JulianK Which is your network operator?

2 Likes

Good point, I’ll try it out.
I feel stupid for not think of it myself and checking beforehand. Some research makes it obvious why there is no preprogrammed server: if the network can point you to a server you always get the local timzone as well.
My ISP is rather local, so I doubt I’ll find reports online. But very much possible they fucked up their network provided time.