Choose provider manually

hi,

I think the menu @tin means can be found like this: Enter “System Settings”, under “Wireless & networks” click on “More…”, there, click on “Mobile Networks” and there click on “Network operators” there you can then choose in between manually and automatically (at least on my Stock Android here).

And to my honest opinion, I think @tin is right: If you chose manual here the phone should never roam.

@stojmas That is nonsens, sorry. Phone should never switch to a foreign provider when setup is “manually”!

@sn0b - Thanks for your message. “Manually” should be not “automatically”.

Please move this thread back to “Bug Report”. Thank you.

I live near the border. Choosing my network provider manually works perfectly for me. After selecting my provider through this menu option, no other provider gets chosen.

I think we need to see whether anyone else in the community is experiencing this issue and whether there are any other suggestions that can be found to try and resolve this issue for you first before saying this is a bug.

Ultimately if you contacted support they would probably ask you to perform a hard reset to see if this resolves your problem.

Are you on the latest version of Fairphone OS (v1.6)?

@haffenloher - Of course: If you select a privider no other is chosen - hopefully this will work. But that was not my report.

@Chris_R - But “help” is wrong as well. And “hard reset” is not a solution - I really don’t want to loose all my date. And of course I have the recent OS version - what a question.

It seems I have also a problem like these mentioned above.
When my phone is not finding the net of the original provider, it is switching to data roaming to a partner provider and I’m paying a lot of money for a few kBytes. I cannot stop this. My OS is v1.6 and the box for data roaming is unchecked for both sim cards. The only way to work around this problem is to block the data completely and to switch it on only when the phone is registered in the right network where it is using the flatrate.

I forget to say : it is switching to a roaming partner in the same country, I’m not near the boarder …

Did you check your APN settings?

@Stefan : On first sight I cannot see something wrong with the APN. Everything also works fine with the dataconnection. The only problem is, that I cannot block the data roaming. When the phone cannot connect to the home network (in this case TRE.IT) then it connects to a partner network (TIM.IT) even when data roaming is deselected.
Anyway : For to have more security with the APN settings I will visit the providers office for to check with them.
If you have another idea - pls let me know about.
Thanks

That’s the best idea, I think! Also confront them about the Roaming problem. Maybe they know the issue and can provide a specific solution.

@ Stefan : This morning I passed the office of my provider. The APN seems to be ok but they could remember another customer - also with a 2 sim smartphone - which had the same problem. They think that is is a problem of the phone and they cannot help me. Is it possible to contact the Fairphone ‘Bugs-department’ for to ask them whether there are other customers with this problem or not ?

Dear @tin and @wzinkl,

I see you have issues with APN. I think it’s easiest if you contact our support team by email ( www.fairphone.com/asksupport ) or calling them (number at bottom of page: www.fairphone.com/support.

They can best help you there and feel free to write in English, Dutch, or German.

This is not the case in every situation, but we have heard from some customers who use small “MVNO” - companies that buy towers from other, bigger companies that the following happens:

Usually this roaming alert is caused by Mobile Virtual Network Operators (MVNO). These smaller phone networks (daughter network) make use of the networks of larger phone companies (mother network). This makes the phone think it is roaming on a different network although this is not the case. I hope this information helps and to make sure we do recommend asking your network provider, just in case.

2 Likes

Thanks for all the replys. Today I put the simcard into another phone (LG Android 4.0) for to test the blocking of the roaming with this one. And there it works as expected ! It doesn`t roaming when not allowed. I compared the APN there with the APN found in the Fairphone : the setting is equal in both phones. Also the problem with the above mentioned 'MVNO’s cannot be, for my provider ‘3’ as ‘Telecom Italia Mobile’ are indipendet and are big companies.
So I think this is really a problem of the phone itself. If nobody has an idea how I can do something by myself, I will then contact the support center.

1 Like

Hello everyone, I’d like to revive this thread. I recently was travelling near several borders (France, Switzerland, Germany, Austria). I had a similar problem as described above.

First of all, @tin & @wzinkl, did you find a solution that did not involve a hard reset?

In my case, I tried to set the priorities for network providers in the Preferred networks list. But even if I choose “Save” from the menu, the new settings are discarded. This led to high mobile charges, since Swisscom for some reason always turned up with priority 0 - even when German networks were available. It’s quite a nuisance, since I really relied on the phone and had to make and answer a lot of calls and needed to access up-to-date info via various internet services.

Anyone who can confirm this behaviour?
(Running 1.8.5 on FP1, XPosed, GravityBox, XPrivacy.)

[Edit, 22.07.2015 - still not working, plus my phone reboots when someone calls me and I try to turn the volume down during the call. Also revived another thread.]

Hello everyone,

I have the same problem ! I am leaving at the border with Switzerland both of my sims are set on manual so they are supposed to always keep their own network. However, my French sim always switches to the Swiss network if I am in an area without French network for a while. It’s started to be really tiring and expensive when I don’t notice that the network has switched and I answer a call …

Did anyone succeed to solve this problem ?

Not sure if this is the behaviour you want, and whether you have the option (could be provider dependent), but have you tried the following setting?:
Phone app > menu key > Settings > Voice Call > Call barring > [your SIM] > Incoming calls while roaming.

Hey !

Thanks for the answer.
What you suggest won’t have the same effect, it will only block the incoming call if my mobile switches network but what I would like is not to switch network.

What I want is this :

• French sim staying on French network or nor taking any network if the French one is not available,
  • Same behavior for the Swiss sim but with Swiss network.

Normally this behavior is set by choosing manually the network in “Mobile network settings > Network operators”. It was at least the case with all my previous phones and my friends here are setting the same on others smartphones brands and it’s working. I guess there is a breach in the Fairphone settings.