Charging from PC

Which battery do you mean?

Here is the result of charging the phone using the back USB 3.1 Gen2 port.
Duration: 9 hours.
Charge: 10% (from 20% to 30%).
So it’s almost 1% per hour.
The phone was on but WiFi, mobile data, and Bluetooth were all turned off.

And it’s a desktop not a laptop.

So that’s about 30mA/h, well at least it won’t overcharge whilst your sleeping.

If other phones charge quicker using the same parameters it must just be the control module in the phone that hasn’t been designed to deal with your scenario.

Although not to your extreme my setup can provide 2.4A but the phone will usually max out at 600mA.

What fun?

:smiley: Just what I was about to say!

Tip: I do all my Li-ion charging through a timeswitch. I just plug in and push a button and the device gets 40 minutes or whatever. It really helps save battery replacements!

I see there’s also supposed to be a USB-C port at the rear. I suppose you could try that if you can borrow a cable. There’s also an option in the BIOS setup (see under 3.6.7 Onboard Devices Configuration > USB Type C Power Switch) for how this port provides power, though I’ve no idea what happens when the PC is powered down.

One last idea: see how the power management behaves if you use sleep instead of powering down completely (not so environmentally responsible I know).

3 Likes

1 Like

Sorry I missed that one! :wink:

I would like to thank you all for your input. Such a wonderful group of people. Much appreciate.
I’m going to summarize everything here in case someone later had the same issue and mark it as solution.

Problem: Phone appeared to not charge when connected to a PC (desktop) and the PC is turned off even though phone was indicating it is charging “Charging slowly”.

Conclusions:

• Phone was actually being charged. However, it was extremely slow that consumption was greater than charging it appeared it wasn’t charging.
  • If WiFi, mobile data, and Bluetooth are turned off, the phone will charge at a rate of approx. 1%/hour.
  • In my tests, I used front USB ports 3.1 Gen1 and back USB port 3.1 Gen2 on Asus STRIX Z370-E mother board.
  • @anon9989719 mentioned that the reason for this slow charging is most likely the control module in the phone that hasn’t been designed to deal with this scenario.
  • Check in your Bios settings if there is anything related to USB charging.
  • @OldRoutard suggested as a test using sleep instead of complete power down of the PC.

Thanks again all.

4 Likes

Does this mean you actually solved your issue?

On the basis that other phones do charge, else the port only has enough to power a keyboard for example at maybe 100mA max which would take approx 32 hours to charge.

Hi @Alex.A
Sorry I missed your message.

No. The problem is not actually solved. But I reached the conclusion that is not solvable. And I have kinda lost hope for the phone as a whole. Lots of issues that makes the phone irritating to use. And support replies after 1-2 months with no useful info.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.