Charging from PC

I would disconnect all other USB devices that might be connected to the same internal USB hub and try again. And disable “Modern Standby”, of course…

1 Like

Iam not sure, if that is an immediate conclusion. I think I would compare the other phones, which are charged properly, to a verified 0.5A=2.5W power source (like a regular USB2.0 port), in order to back this assumption. And once verified both ports charge similiarily, I would return to try making the FP3 charge on the powered off PC.

We have no clue whether the OP connected another USB device to the PC system or not before the FP3 was (not) charged…

True, but by disconnecting other devices, we still don’t learn if the current is on 500mA or not. Which I consider required information in order to start blaming cable or bottom module. If it works though, then it would be solution, true.
Honestly, I would start using a power meter and verifiy it makes sense to use a computer in standby to charge my phone. Cause in case it consumes more power than a regular charger, it would be way better to use that one and cut the power to the computer completely.

Power should not be cut to the computer, regardless whether a USB device is charged from it or not…

Iam not talking about “power cutting” a running computer. There is nothing wrong with cutting the power of a powered off computer.

Considering this, I deduce OP uses front facing USB2 ports, which are wired and plugged into mainboard as it doesn’t offer native USB2.0 ports at its back. The rear facing USB3 ports should offer way faster charging speed for a powered on system and might offer real 500mA=2.5W on a powered off system needed to properly charge FP3.

Really? The longer a computer is cut from power, the stronger the internal Lithium battery cell that buffers UEFI BIOS settings is stressed. This should be avoided…

The Lithium battery cell inside a computer is in place to make power cutting to a computer possible. It is an investment of less than 2€ (in times less than 50ct) and mostly good enough for 5-10y. It is designed to be possible.
The battery cell is not recharged. So yes, of course its remaining capacity decreases over time. But a disconnected computer consumes a fraction of energy compared to a connected one. We could argue the time and energy needed to rebuy and produce the Lithium cell and inconveniences as the need to reapply the BIOS settings in case it discharges completely. And we could compare that to the inconvenience of failed power supply after lightning impact or so. But it will not become an argument on whether or not to do power cutting a computer in general. It will lead to a question of personal preference. In my opinion stress on this easily replaceable ct product does not count, especially as it doesn’t require me to act on a monthly basis.
In the case of OP, Iam balancing solely power consumption and required charging time. In case OP doesn’t want to cut power to computer, it makes sense to use the already provided USB ports. Otherwise, it might be possible to save power by disconnecting computer AND charge the other phones quicker AND charge the FP3. It would need confirmation though but considering the high charging time pretty much any leftover charger should do the job. Anyways, overall power consumption will not differ significantly.

4 Likes

Sure, this makes all sense from a techie point of view, but not for the average user when it is time to change the battery cell. A housewife would use a computer quite differently than a computer science professor, which is why I do not want to give tips like “if this happens, do that, and afterwards you must do that to get back to this”. I just want to keep things simple for everybody and avoid giving lectures…

True, but know your audience. Correct me if Iam wrong, but @OneZ definetely is not a stereotype housewife. And Iam not targeting general end users but the OP. Sometimes simplistic but unprecise can truely be wrong and lead to strange deductions. Honestly I know way more women just cutting power to anything than owning a desktop computer.
Sometimes it is better to just swallow down instead of giving lectures. My appologies, I couldn’t help it this time.

1 Like

This I know, no need to point this out…

But this is an open forum, people with the same issue might stumble over this thread and read things like “cutting power to your computer is good”. Not very helpful either when the OP wants to charge a device at the USB ports of the computer. Where shall the power come from instead?

I have made different experiences, but that does not matter. The housewife has been an example that there are users who just want to use their computers the usual way, as convenient and as long as possible.

Please put that sarcasm aside, will you? Thanks in advance…

You misread me. That was no sarcasm at all. That is self-reflection and Iam targetting myself. As far as I can tell you didn’t write a lecture but kept short answers.

2 Likes

Then I sincerely apologize…

1 Like

Thank you all again for your input. Really much appreciated it. Sorry for late reply.

Indeed I’m charging using the front ports which are USB 3.1 Gen1. Today I’m going to try using the back port which is USB 3.1 Gen2.

For my old phone I used to use the front port.

4 Likes

Can’t remember if you have already tried, but do you have your computer plugged in when charging your phone on it? It can be a requirement for some computers. They won’t provide power unless plugged in themself. Was thinking about a laptop, but thanks @DeepSea and @AnotherElk for correcting.

2 Likes

The computer cannot supply power when no power is supplied to the computer…

Sure, that’s what I’m saying. But one might think the battery is enough to supply the power to charge the phone.

No, the battery cell on the mainboard is there to buffer UEFI BIOS settings…

I think @Alex.A is thinking about a notebook computer. But …

4 Likes

Hi !
My PC has 4 USB connectors but only one of them is a USB 3 with fast charge direct from the batterie of the disconnected PC. Perhaps its the same on your PC…