My bluetooth headphones that support SBC, aptX, aac and LDAC bluetooth audio codecs, on the Fairphone 3 they are always using SBC. When I change it to another codec in the developer options it doesn’t have an effect and switches automatically back to SBC when I leave the settings. On other Android phones it usually works to change the codec.
Many thanks for this first piece of information.
Would you like to ask a specific question here or mention a problem you would like to get solved?
I would like the problem to get solved from the community if that’s possible. Maybe there is another way to change the bluetooth codec that I don’t know of.
If not, of course it would be nice if it could be fixed by Fairphone in the next OS update.
Does Android use PulseAudio? If yes, this repository allowed me to get these codecs to work on Linux desktop
My earbuds dont support LDAC, but aptX and aptX HD don’t seem to work for me either. AAC seems to work fine though, there is an option “HD Audio: AAC” in the settings for the bluetooth device which can be enabled and stays active even after reconnection.
Extract from an ‘adb logcat’:
E a2dp_vendor_aptx_encoder: A2DP_VendorLoadEncoderAptx: cannot open aptX encoder library libaptX_encoder.so: dlopen failed: library "libaptX_encoder.so" not found E a2dp_vendor_aptx: init: cannot load the encoder E a2dp_vendor_aptx_hd_encoder: A2DP_VendorLoadEncoderAptxHd: cannot open aptX-HD encoder library libaptXHD_encoder.so: dlopen failed: library "libaptXHD_encoder.so" not found E a2dp_vendor_aptx_hd: init: cannot load the encoder
It seems that the aptx libraries are not included for some reason. (Please note that I dont have any updates installed so far)
PS: No there is no pulseaudio on Android.
Yeah, I suppose it costs a vendor money to have those proprietary libraries shipped.
With an unlocker bootloader you could install that aptX package from XDA developers.
I’m having the same issue.
My Fairphone 2 which is running LineageOS 15 (Android 8.1) does not have this issue - can do AAC and LDAC.
I’m unclear as to what to do next.
I’m not happy with this outcome though. I’ve sent a support request.
Edit: Wikipedia says LDAC is open source and included in AOSP. So what you said about aptX doesn’t apply to LDAC.