Capabilities of the 'USB-C to USB-C Cable 2.0'

Hi Community,

I am looking into purchasing Fairphone’s USB-C to USB-C Cable 2.0 but I am not sure what the cable actually can and cannot do; compare, for example, Wikipedia’s entry for USB-C Cables.

A rather general question to get started: does the 2.0 in the name of the cable indicate that this is the 2nd USB-C cable of Fairphone or does it mean that it’ll only support USB 2.0 specs? (The latter would make the following questions obsolete, so I am hoping for the first :wink: )

So now the more technical questions:

• which USB standard does this cable comply with? (USB 3.1 Gen 1, USB 3.1 Gen 2, USB 3.2 Gen 1×1, USB 3.2 Gen 2×1, USB 3.2 Gen 2×2 ?)
  • which data transfer speeds does the cable support? (up to 5 Gbit/s, 10 Gbit/s, 20 Gbit/s ?)
  • which power delivery options does the cable support? (Fairphone sells a compatible 30 W charger… so 3A at 9V? [compare USB power delivery in Wikipedia*])
  • which alternate modes does the cable support? In particular, does it support DP (which the Fairphone 4’s USB-C port does support?)

As an alternate, I guess I could sum up my questions to this one:

Can I use the USB-C to USB-C Cable 2.0 to:

• charge a Fairphone 4 at 30 W?
  • transfer data to a computer at 10 Gbit/s?
  • mirror the screen of a Fairphone 4 via DP to an USB-C attached monitor?

Thanks for your feedback and insights :slight_smile:

*: sorry, new user - I can only post 2 links… :confused:

1 Like

Pretty sure the 2.0 refers to the USB standard, as there is also the USB-C 3.2 Long Life Cable available and that is explicitly marketed with:

Blazing fast sync speeds: Transfer your data with up to 10 Gbps.

Thats only possible with USB 3.1+

Fast Charge should be possible (not sure about 30W, I so far only managed to achieve 17W), according to Wikipedia:

All USB-C cables must be able to carry a minimum of 3 A current (at 20 V, 60 W) but can also carry high-power 5 A current (at 20 V, 100 W).

Not sure about Display Port, it’s in the spec, I can’t test it, sorry :man_shrugging: Others have got it working (with different cables though)

3 Likes

Following advice in forumtrustlevels you’ll easily reach next trust level for being able to post more links :slight_smile:

1 Like

The USB 3.2 cable is not DP alt ready, so I guess the cheaper one is not too…

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.