Can't connect to computer

Hi,

I updated my phone to 18.09.2

Since I updated my phone, I can’t connect it to my computer. It loads, but the file transfer doesn’t work. The computer says it can’t connect to the phone and while I chose file transfer on my phone I always get the error android.process.media stopped. Computer OS is KDE neon,

2 Likes

Same here, since Update to 18.09.2 FP2 shows always this error:
android.process.media.stopped
Tried on different computers; diff. Windows; diff. cables; …
All it allows is to cancel, no other option.

Same for me, PC running Ubuntu Studio 18.10, FP2 message “Le processus android.process.media a cess…” since Fairephone OS 18.09.2 update. :rage:

When pluggin a headset, I also have a “Gestion des appels / Headset / Headset is plugged in.” notification that I cannot delete ! :slightly_frowning_face:

DO NOT UPDATE FAIRPHONE 2 to 18.09.2 !!!

How can I roolback ?

This looks like a bug tracker issue #43, which it appears Fairphone is having trouble figuring out as it seems difficult to reproduce. If anyone has information that might be useful for Fairphone to figure out when this issue occurs, please add it there (or here, and I’ll link it).

1 Like

Hey I just tried a solution proposed in another post. Clear data of the system app “Media Storage”. It worked for me.

Settings > Apps,

then click on the dots top right to Show system apps

Then Media Storage > Storage > clear Data

3 Likes

that last one worked for me too, FP forums FTW!

1 Like

Hi,
I don’t even get an error message. The phone just isn’t recognized by the computer (tried with two computers, it shows “unknown device”) and I don’t get any message on the phone to confirm connection. It is also not possible to install a new driver.
It always worked before the Android update.
Please help!

@Annaelle your hint was perfect & works fine for me, thanks so much. so good to have this forum!
@MHMH sorry it doesn’t work for you! i suggest you try it once more after “purging” that media storage app as @Annaelle suggested. and be sure you use a cable that worked before. for me, it took a while to re-install FP2 on my windows10 laptop…

update: i do get the connection, also repeatedly, but it isn’t stable, that is, it shuts down after a few minutes (= switches to charging mode). also, i have to always purge the media storage app before trying the file transfer. most annoying: FP2 shows up in my file manager but ‘internal storage’ and ‘SD card’ are both empty (which they’re not of course). like the others here i observed this issue after the september update (file transfer worked fine with the former android version).

summary: @Annaelle 's solution works for getting the connection but file transfer doesn’t work because the connection remains unstable. help?

Sorry it’s not stable… Did you find a solution ?

I had the same issue and when trying on another computer it worked well… I don’t know what changes between the two computers :s

Now, it’s working well with both computers. When i plu the FP2, I have to unclearble notifications: one saying “USB debugging connected”, which leads you to the developper options when tapped, and one saying “USB for file transfer” (or “USB charging this device”, or whatever option I chose).

It worked fine for me too, but I had to do it a couple of times and I also Clear the data of the External Storage App, in the same way as the Media Storage. I don´t know if it is necessary or not, but I have restarted the phone as well.
Thanks!

Silly me did this and all my photos dissappeared… My photos used to get uploaded automatically on flickr and google, but not since the latest update and I can’t connect my phone to the computer (it doesn’t exist, my comp thinks) and now all my photos are gone!

Also, now the computer can find my phone, but none of the files… :frowning:
And on my phone, even tho all the photos have dissappeared there’s just as much space used as before. As I don’t have hardly any memory left (I’ve had to remove just about all apps) I can’t update those that I really need.

How long did you wait after applying Anaelle’s solution? It can take a while until media storage has re-built itself.

Immediately… So do I need to restart my phone? Are my photos lost forever?

I think most likely your photos are not lost at all, but just not shown currently. “Media storage” does not include your actual photos, but is basically just a “table of [media] contents” of your phone.

Depending on how much space your photos (and other media files) take up on your phone, the time it takes to rebuild the “table of contents” can vary. I have never encountered this issue myself, but I would think that a reboot cannot hurt and then give it a while before you reconnect the phone to the computer again.

thanks! My photos take an awful lot of space as I love to take photos! And as I haven’t been able to connect my phone to the computer I haven’t been able to empty the cameras (I had several camera apps as the inbuilt is noisy and can’t zoom well) and as I mentioned, since the last update the photos haven’t been automatically uploaded in the clouds. I’ve tried to do that manually, but it takes an awful lot of time and I still want to keep a copy in a harddrive.

It sounds to me a different case for you than for the others in that thread…
What did change so that at first your pc did not see your phone and later “just” not the files?
Do you see no files at all or “only” not the photos?
Did you select “transfer data” instead of “charge” in the pulldown menu? Is your cable really a USB >data< cable?

I don’t know why my pc couldn’t find the phone in the first place, but now it finds the phone, but there’s nothing in it. I’m using the same cable as for my camera.

(sorry for repeating that question - as you haven’t answered it yet:) Did you select “transfer data” instead of “charge” in the pulldown menu (which appears when your phone is connected to your PC and unlocked)?

1 Like

Where should it say “transfer data”? Or “charge” for that matter? I haven’t seen messages like that.