Can't connect to computer

• Connect your phone (as you’ve done before) via the USb cable (an “empty” explorer window without any files may pop up on your PC)
  • Unlock it (if it’s still locked)
  • Pull with one finger from top down. The lines with app notes should appear (where e.g. you find normally info about new messages a.s.o.)
  • The probably most bottom information should be something like “Charging this device via USB”. Tap on this information and you should get the option to select “data transfer”. Choose it. Your files should then appear in the explorer window on the PC.

EDIT: you may also have a look at “option 2 -> windows computer” here for more details.

5 Likes

THANK YOU!!!
Now it worked! And my photos are back! :* :hugs:

2 Likes

Hi Christoph,
In the meantime, I received a new (factory-refurbished) FP2 as I had problems with the camera that didn’t work.
But the connection problem is still the same. I tried the hint above (clear media storage data), but that didn’t help.
As I described before, the phone isn’t recognized by the computer and I don’t get any message on the phone to confirm connection.
Is that a known issue? Will there be a new Android update or anything else to help?
It is really annoying as I would like to download my photos. When changing the phone, I had to download everything on google drive which I actually don’t want to do.
Kind regards

hi! i couldn’t solve this issue satisfactory either. as a workaround i installed the app AirMove, which is largely self-xplaining (and threw the app off after finishing the transfer). i hope to get the former very easy procedure back with the next android version…

It is somewhat unlikely then that this would be a fault of the phone.

Have you tried a different cable already?

And just to be clear: There will be no message in the sense of the word. When the phone is connected via USB normally there would be a notification …

It’s a security feature.

The computer side could be at fault, too.
Which OS do you use … Windows/ Linux/ macOS?

1 Like

No, I didn’t try a different cable. But the one I have works when charging in a plug.
I understood that there would be a notification and what it would look like, but there is nothing.
I tried with two different computers (Windows).

There are USB cables which are only intended for charging and don’t allow data transfer. Did you transfer data with this cable before?

Yes, I used it before and it worked before the penultimate Android update. But I will see if I find (or can borrow) another one and try again.

:netherlands: Ik heb ook nog steeds hetzelfde probleem. Al meerdere maanden. Ik kan geen foto’s van mijn telefoon halen en heb er geen oplossing voor. Ik durf de ‘media opslag gegevens verwijderen’ niet doen omdat ik dan bang ben mijn foto’s of ander materiaal kwijt te geraken. Met mijn Fairphone kan ik niet meer bellen zonder oortjes in of zonder bluetooth. De telefoon moet opgestuurd worden ter reparatie, maar dat wil ik uiteraard pas als mijn gegevens ervan zijn gehaald. Ik kan ook geen update doen wellicht omdat mijn geheugen te vol is… Enfin… Moet ik dan toch een nieuwe telefoon aankopen en mijn duurzame gedachtengoed laten varen? Zo jammer dat alles zo moeilijk verloopt om oplossingen te vinden en te krijgen.

Als je een account bij google hebt, zou je met de app Foto’s van google een backup van je foto’s kunnen maken.

1 Like

Dat deed ik inderdaad al, maar dan heb ik ze nog niet in volledige resolutie. Ik aarzel wat om ze enkel in geringere resolutie te hebben bij google foto’s.

That doesn’t work. My phone says ‘android.process.media is gestopt’.

Als je naar de app Foto’s gaat en dan links op de drie liggende streepjes klikt,
kun je voor instellingen kiezen.
Kies dan voor Back-up en synchronisatie,
vervolgens voor Uploadgrootte.
Hier kun je kiezen tussen Hoge kwaliteit en Origineel.
De truc is nu om niet teveel apparaatmappen tegelijk te back-uppen. Een beetje omslachtig, maar werkbaar.
Maak een back-up en via de computer kun je dan naar Foto’s gaan
en de foto’s die daar staan downloaden naar je computer.
Zodoende komt er weer ruimte beschikbaar om een andere apparaatmap te back-uppen.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.