Cannot Charge - Endless Reboots to Charging Indicator Screen

Folks,

unfortunately my Fairphone (first batch) is sort-of bricked since last night: When I connect the USB charger or attach the USB cable to my computer, the phone displays the charging sign, but the display turns black after a couple of seconds. The phone then displays the charging screen a couple of seconds again later, and again the screen turns black. This cycle happens to continue forever, and the phone is not charged at all; this makes it impossible to turn on the device, as the battery is fully discharged.

Interestingly, I ran into this problem after applying the Unified Storage Upgrade (Cherry 1.6), and the phone got discharged afterwards.

Any suggestions?

1 Like

@Elias_Weingaertner

I donā€™t think this is probably a bug so have moved this to the help category

Unfortunately I donā€™t think there is going to be much we can offer by the way of advice if you canā€™t get any charge into your phone. Itā€™s perfectly possible to ā€œunbrickā€ but obviously you need some charge to get it connected.

I guess when you connect to your computer youā€™re not able to see the connection?

Iā€™d suggest contacting support directly as itā€™s probably going to need to go back for repair/replacement

Hello Chris, I seem to be experiencing sort of the same problem: my FP (1st edition) doesnā€™t charge anymore. I am using different cables that did do the trick until two days ago, so the cables cannot be the problem. The battery gets charged up to 3% only. I cannot open it , not even with FP connected to the power plug. It seems something is wrong with the battery charging port (is that how you call it, but it doesnā€™t show any deformities (I didnā€™t drop it on that spot, or something).
In the FP shop I do not find the ā€˜portā€™ among the spare partsā€¦
What to do?

Thanks,
Pauline

Have you checked your battery? it could be bloatedā€¦ explained a lot of problems with my phoneā€¦

Yeah, you may want to check you battery first, thereā€™s a lot on the forum and Fairphoneā€™s support pages about battery bloating and if thatā€™s the problem you need to get into contact with support directly.

If not, post back.

No, nothing wrong with the batteryā€¦

Hi, I am having the same problem. The phone (batch summer 2014) is not charging and endlessly connecting and disconnecting. With the charging sign coming up and then changing to a black screen.

There is not enough power to switch the phone on.

The battery looks fine and is not bloated at all.

Has someone here come up with a solution?

Have you tried with another cable / charger? If this doesnā€™t work, you might have to repair the USB socket as explained here.

Thanks for the suggestion! I will try another charger later today when I am back home.
Someone suggested a can of air to get rid of any dust in the USB plug. I think I will try this if an alterative charger doesnā€™t sort it out.

1 Like

I am just experiencing the same problem, beginning this morning.
I tried with 2 different chargers, 2 different USB cables, with no help.

Just ordered a new battery, just in case.