Camera problems (streaks & flickers)

Who said there is no hope for improvement? A software update could still improve the camera results and a little birdie told me that FP2 is planning to release a upgrade to the camera module.

3 Likes

A NEW HOPEā€¦

thx 4 the twitter :smile:

Just for confirmation. You heard about a replacement of the module,
not a software update for the module, right?

Same problem here. It appears pretty randomly about half of thd times, although it seems to me that bad light makes it worse. The lines are always parallel to the long side of the picture. For me, none of the alternative camera apps seemed to work so far. It is really frustrating to have to zoom into every picture after taking it in order to know if I have to redo it.

Camera MX is the best one Iā€™ve tried so far, pretty neat camera app and it eliminates most of these ā€œcoloured linesā€. Try it if you havenā€™t already.

M

Camera MX solved this problem for me too.

Thanks for the suggestion! For me, using ā€œCamera MXā€ made the lines & flickering even worseā€¦ :frowning:
I will continue my testing and keep you posted!

1 Like

I have the same problem. none of the above suggestions work for me either. and the streaks are in all pictures. some more visible than others, but existing in all. bad lighting conditions show them more. To rule out software problems, one would probably need to give fake input to the softwareā€¦ this is where an open system would definitely help the community. :slight_smile:
cheers,
Zee

1 Like

Sadly I must withdraw my latest post, I still have a lot of ā€œcoloured linesā€ with camera mx. Seems to be more frequent at extremely bright or poor lighting conditions. It also seems to be random. Two consecutive photos of ā€œthe sameā€ view one with and one without the linesā€¦ Same as above photos of snow.

M

Yeah, Iā€™ve tried many cameras - all at some point get the streaks -
attached is a particularly noticeable example.

Same problem here. ā€œCamera Mxā€ and A" Better Camera" didnā€™t help. Also I get quite dark pictures when the light conditions are not a 100% perfect.
A software update would be great!

1 Like

I just received my Fairphone 2. It has the exact same problem i.e: vertical coloured lines. Those lines appear as soon as I start the back camera, even during the ā€œlive viewā€ before I start taking pictures. The pictures also have those lines. Strangely the front camera works properly.
The lines remind me of ā€œnoiseā€ when going high in ISO on a standard camera. However they are a lot more visible and appear even when there is enough light. Sadly I wonā€™t be able to use it to take pictures of documents as I used to with my old phone.

Same problem here with the streaks. Not on every picture, but lighting doesnā€™t seem to affect it: happens with daylight and low, interior light. Is it a software or hardware problem? What can fairphone offer us to fix it? Iā€™m going on holiday next week and would like to be able to take some decent, usable photos.
Will try Camera MX in the meantime.

Hi @paulakreuzer, do you know of any investigation in this? (except the rumor of a new module)
Seems that some people have this issue, (30 in this thread, which I know is not much compared to all sold phones). And I also noted the streaks in the first image taken by the fairphone2 in the blogpost from december: https://www.fairphone.com/2015/12/21/fairphone-2-starts-shipping-across-europe/.

It would be nice to know if this is something that the devs are working with or if it is forgotten. =)
I present two photos taken 10 seconds apart of the same view:

Taken with Camera MX, but Iā€™ve seen similar results with other cameras, that two pictures taken directly afterwards can be very different in the sense of the streaks. It seems to be random.

2 Likes

Very interesting observation. The first photo also seems a bit red-tinged in comparison. Iā€™m notifying @keesj as your findings may be helpful information to the software team.

Unfortunately I canā€™t tell you any news about the issue.

Add me to the list of people experiencing these issues too (randomly though). :wink: Tried different apps - nothing helped so far. Sometimes, the pictures are perfect, sometimes they have the same streaks/flickers as described above.

I can confirm as well that it happens randomly. Sometimes, when I see the streaks in the preview, it helps to shut down the camera app and start it again. I also observed that the longer I wait before taking a picture, the more likely they appear.

I downloaded Camera MX and it seemed to solve the problem.

Iā€™m also experiencing random problems with streaksā€¦

Indeed, Camera MX seems to solve the problem!

In my case Camera MX solved these problems too, but only temporarily. Not a single streak in my pictures since the beginning of March. Perfect, but ā€¦

ā€¦ some days ago - I updated it from 3.4.202 to 3.5.001. And the streaks returned. Downgraded Camera MX, tried other camera apps, played with all their settings. No success. The streaks persisted. I changed my camera app back to Open Camera.
Thought Iā€™d have to live with it until the next Fairphone Android update.

My FP2 is rooted. I mainly did it to mute the camera shutter sound. But it opened a world of new possibilities to play with. Via F-Droid I downloaded the app ā€œKernel Adiutorā€. A wonderfull app with loads of complex options. Since the FP2 is a fast machine, my initial goal was to lower the energy consumption to make the processor run cooler and the battery last longer. I changed some parameters in the CPU and Temp section and monitored what would happen.
By accident I started Open Camera - and the streaks where - gone!

To make it short.
It seemed, the streaks and lines appear if you operate the phone at a minimum CPU freq. lower than 1267 MHz. At a minimum of 1267MHz or higher they disappear.
Since this was not satisfying, initially I wanted to save energy :wink:, I changed the value back to 300 MHz and played with the governors - ā€œperformanceā€ did the trick for me.
At least there is hope for a software fix.

Iā€™m happy again!!!

5 Likes