Calls stuck on speakerphone after Android 11 update

I’m having the exact same issue on my FP3+ after the Android 11 update. Persists in Safe Mode. Hoping there’s an easier solution than a factory reset! If anyone has found a fix, please do post it.

1 Like

Hej all, strangest issue.

A couple days ago my phone stopped selecting the earpiece for calls. It goes to speaker mode only, whether speaker is selected or not.
test features say I don’t have an earpiece installed, and mic 2 is super quiet. Is this a multiple module failure? Any other way to troubleshoot?

You say test features, you mean by dialling *#*#66#*#* Service tests > Test Single > etc.

Maybe the top module is loose or not working, so maybe remove, see if it’s clean and replace. Then do the tests again.

I think mic 2 is on the top module with the earpiece. Mind you mic 2 is always a quarter that of mic 1

All the best

1 Like

Other cases here:

so if you don’t mind we’ll probably move this thread and merge it.

Not sure yet but a factory reset may solve the problem, so make sure your backups are up to date.

P.S. Edward could you indicate your OS version. You’re probably on Android 11 but it’s as well to know.

Would those of you experiencing this problem (loudspeaker is used for calls instead of the earpiece) mind listing in this thread, all the apps you use to make calls (these could include stock Phone app, Signal, Whatsapp etc.)

Hej, good point… Yes, I am updated to Android 11. These issues coincide with the update a few days ago. I should add that wired headphones work fine. Bluetooth earpieces have not worked well before, I will guess a codec issue that keeps the mic registering very quiet. I have not tested Bluetooth with the new update, and I will.

So far the issue with speakerphone is in both regular calls and with WhatsApp. I haven’t tried in other apps yet.

1 Like

This is a common issue, many people have reported it, including me.

1 Like

There may be other users that had or have this issue but that hardly makes it common. I’d say it’s a rare issue. Out of the nearly 200,000 possible owners (sales figures) I have seen less than 20 which is 1 in 10,000

In fact I can only find 7 or 8 with this problem ??

1 Like

Technical note. In the service tests, what we have been calling “earpiece” (i.e. the low-volume speaker you usually hold to your ear) is denominated “Receiver”. To test it, choose “Receiver Test”.

The “Earphone” test refers to a headset, so you need to plug one in first, or get an error “Did not detect” which I have seen one or two people (@stern.ed for e.g.) report.

1 Like

The OnePlus 7 solution I saw is here Oxygen 11 - Stuck on Speakerphone - OnePlus Community

Settings → System → Accessibility and turned on “Hearing Aid Compatibility”.
This was off but I turned it on and had an incoming call… No bottom speaker!

I didn’t see a Hearing Aid Compatibility setting on FP3

I’ve only used Phone and Whatsapp for calls

2 Likes

Thanks Andrew for posting your info source.
This is useful because it seems that a factory reset is not likely to help, so at the moment I would advise against.

P.S. for those wondering what Oxygen OS is,

OxygenOS is an Android-based OS developed by Chinese smartphone manufacturer OnePlus exclusively for their smartphones.

Source: Wikipedia

QUESTION for those impacted: are you using any call recording software and if so which?

I may have fixed it.

I have an SD card, US SIM card (T-Mobile) and Canada SIM card (Public Mobile/Telus). Before doing any resets, I tried every configuration of SD Card, SIM 1, SIM 2, with no success

1. Did a factory reset.
  2. Restored my backup and inserted SD card.
  3. Tried the original configuration (SIM1: TMO, SIM2: Public). Still only speakerphone
  4. SIM1: Empty, SIM2: Public; Calls went back to normal! Inbound, outbound, whatsapp, all worked normally.
  5. SIM1: Empty, SIM2: TMO; Calls still normal
  6. SIM1: Public, SIM2: TMO; Calls still normal
  7. Just to replicate, went back to original configuration (SIM1: TMO, SIM2: Public), Speakerphone only again
  8. Went back to #6 configuration (SIM1: Public, SIM2: TMO); Calls went back to normal again.

So I’ll leave it in this configuration. I will update this thread if it anything changes.

7 Likes

Wow, this improved my phone too. I had TMO on sim1 and no sim2. I switched to TMO on sim2 and the calls go to the earpiece like normal. I’ll keep using sim2 for now.

4 Likes

Thank you very much for the tip! I had the same symptom and similar set up. Fairphone 3+ with Mint mobile (a T-mobile mvno) sim in slot one. Moving it to slot two stopped the whole speakerphone problem. Thanks again! ~Scott

4 Likes

Good news!

To sum up, from the experience of Andrew1, kanishka and Scott_Holden the problem was caused by the presence of a SIM from T-Mobile (or MVNO thereof) in slot 1, and is fixed by moving the SIM to slot 2.

@palday @strongthany (who posted in the general update thread) @Fairphonemjm and @stern.ed : does this help for you people too?

Note: this might not be limited to T-Mobile SIMs so I would advise anyone who is experiencing the problem to swap SIM slots.

2 Likes

Well that’s good to know. Not really an actionable solution for me right now because of how much I rely on my SD card and that doesn’t fit in slot 1. But I have a ticket open with Fairphone Support right now to try to get it addressed.

Well call me a goofball, because I thought the FP3 had only 2 slots, one for sim1 or SD, and one for sim2. I moved over the SIM card to slot 2 and now calls function correctly. I’ll update fairphone support to let them know.

3 Likes

@OldRoutard

I’ve had luck just now swapping the T-Mobile sim from slot 1 to slot 2, with my Swedish Vimla sim to slot 1. I tried that a week ago and no joy, and happy for this to work now. Tusen tack!

2 Likes

I feel so relieved since this workaround. Thanks again to the person who discovered this.

Swapping which SIM is in which slot does indeed fix it for me.

However, I’m a little bit disconcerted about what causes this problem on a low-level. :confused:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.