Calls are too quiet - Telefonatlautstärke ungenügend

I’m not sure wether this is a LineageOS specific problem or a Fairphone 2 specific one.
Call volume is just much too low. It goes so far that I got used to that “you can’t make calls in public” - it doesn’t even have to be a very loud environment. I never really thought about it and went to quiet places to make phone calls. And I haven’t made phone calls very often for the last months, but now that I have to make important phone calls for job interviews and live in a big house I have to walk some minutes to find a place quiet enough to use my phone hahaha. Just yesterday I questioned the Fairphone itself and borrowed my flat mates Xperia ZX1 Compact and it is “about three times as loud”. That’s just unacceptable, I can’t use my phone to… phone.
Are your FP2’s volumes (normal calls, not on speaker) quiet, ok or good?

Ich weiß nicht, ob mein Problem LineageOS- oder Fairphone-2-spezifisch ist.
Telefonatlautstärke ist einfach viel zu leise. Ich habe mich tatsächlich daran gewöhnt, dass “man in der Öffentlichkeit eben nicht telefonieren kann” - es muss nicht mal besonders laut außenrum sein. Ich hab lange nicht wirklich drüber nachgedacht und mir leise Orte zum telefonieren gesucht. Allerdings habe ich die letzten Monate auch einfach nicht viel telefoniert, aber jetzt wo ich wichtige Telefonate wegen Berufsbewerbungen führen muss und in einem großen Wohnhaus wohne, muss ich Minuten latschen, um einen Ort zu finden, der leise genug ist, damit ich nicht ständig “Wie bitte?” fragen muss hahaha. Erst gestern habe ich darüber nachgedacht und das Fairphone in Frage gestellt und das ZX1 Compact meines Mitbewohners ausgeliehen und das ist “gefühlt dreimal so laut”. Das ist völlig inakzeptabel, ich kann mit meinem Telefon nicht… telefonieren.
Ist die Lautstärke eurer FP2 (normales Telefonieren, nicht über Lautsprecher) leise, ok oder gut?

I do not recognise this problem when using the phone the old-fashioned way with regular Fairphone OS, however for making calls on speakerphone on FPOS 18.04.1 There is this open bug report.

1 Like

Thanks for the first half of the sentence though!

It’s OK on my FP2 running LineageOS.

1 Like

Can you make calls on public transport without asking for every fifth word and without pushing your phone inside your ear? I’d wish for that…

Actually, I’m doing that rather seldom, but can’t remember issues.
Of course there’s also a relation to the noise level in the public transport facility used. I’m not sure if the sound level would be sufficient for every situation - maybe not.
So my experience might not be representative for your case. Do you happen to know some FP2 owner in your area that you could meet with for direct comparison? Or maybe some #fairphoneangels are around?

1 Like

Where do you live? If you live near Bielefeld we could meet and put my upper part in your phone to rule out a technical defect.

Hi, I was the one that submitted the bug report.
I have noticed that a call with the 2nd SIM didn’t exhibit this issue.

The 2nd SIM is in ‘roaming’ as it’s from another country, could it be related? Like it operating on another mode (2G vs 4G?) ?

Same issue here.

Did you find a solution for the problem?

Kind regards

Mine is super quiet as well.

Nope, still too quiet for most surroundings.

I live in Dresden and Berlin.

It would be good if you could install Fairphone OS and compare the volume. I think I am using the volume settings from Fairphone so there shouldn’t be a difference.

Chris

1 Like

@ all: :uk: When you use the volume buttons at the side of your phone while in a phone call, you can adjust the volume. A good test number is your voicemail. Did you adjust the volume to the maximum?

Also test if the volume is too quiet with the “normal” Fairphone OS.

Dismount the top module, clean the connectors and put it back in.

If all does not help: I have an unused top module (reason: “worn out” headphone socket) I can provide for testing purposes. I am able to put in a letterbox in Dresden if the location is good (e. g. Mickten). Just tell the address via private message.

:de: Wenn ihr die Lautstärketasten an der Seite eures Telefons während eines Telefonats benutzt, könnt ihr die Lautstärke einstellen. Eine gute Testnummer ist eure Mailbox. Habt ihr die Lautstärke auf das Maximum gestellt?

Bitte auch testen, ob die Lautstärke mit dem „normalen“ Fairphone OS zu leise ist.

Baue das Top-Modul aus, reinige die Kontakte und baue es wieder ein.

Wenn das alles nichts hilft: Ich habe noch ein ungenutztes Top-Modul (Grund: „ausgeleierter“ Kopfhöreranschluss), das ich zum Testen zur Verfügung stellen könnte. Ich wäre in der Lage, dieses in einen Dresdner Briefkasten zu stecken, wenn dieser an einem günstigen Ort (z. B. Mickten) steht. Einfach die Adresse mittels privater Nachricht mitteilen.

2 Likes

You could also try to play with mixer values:
adb shell
su
tinymix 29 87

Change 87 to higher values (default is 84), but the speaker starts cracking if we go much higher than 87.

2 Likes

Ich kämpfe seit einiger Zeit mit dem gleichen Problem. Kann unterwegs praktisch keine Telefonate mehr annehmen, und selbst zuhause hör ich meine Anrufer*innen nur gaaanz leise.
Ja, hab während des Anrufs - nochmal mit Voicemail getestet - das Vol. mit seitl. Regler auf max. gestellt.
Bitte um Nachsicht wegen meiner doofen laienhaften Nachfrage:
Wie teste ich “ob die Lautstärke mit dem “normalen” Fairphone OS (das steht für operating system?) zu leise ist”?
[Gerade erst seh ich das dieser thread mit “Alternative OS” getaggt ist. Ich hab das Thema via Suchfunktion gefunden. Ich verwende das “normale/Anfänger” set-up. Also ist meine eher eine help FP2 Frage…]

1 Like

Bist du sicher, dass es mal lauter war?

Hab nie viel telefoniert. Aber so schlimm kann’s nicht gewesen sein.
Hab zur Zeit zuviel anderes um die Ohren, um mich darum kümmern zu können, aber demnächst muss ich das mal tatsächlich irgendwo reklamieren.

I’ve got the problem as well. This happens when the uptime of the phone is more than a few hours; and it works fine for me again directly after a reboot

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.