Call quality and noise cancellation (regular calls, handsfree, Signal voice messages, Microsoft Teams video calls)

I know who hears what and I dont have issues with my FP4, or should I say the other end has no issues talking to me over my FP4 to make it clear I understand.

Iā€™m not saying it doesnā€™t work, I say it works poorly. Switch phones and try have a pleasant conversation. Itā€™s not great at all.

I kindly ask you to stop telling me I (or my counterpart) must have a bad experience when I (or my counterpart) dont have. I understand you (or your counterpart) have it and still I can have another one. Thats all this is about, a different experience, no more no less.

From what I read is that you assume there is no problem if you donā€™t experience it. But the problem is on the other end for all issues listed. The same goes for Teams for example. Iā€™m the only one in group calls that causes issues. Once I unmuted the rest experiences the troublesome quality. By rule of elimination, itā€™s safe to conclude the problem is caused by FP and not the other devices.

If you already did the things I explain and didnā€™t encounter the same things then thatā€™s very interesting. But first itā€™s important to determine if the same steps are taken to arrive at the same conclusions. Please donā€™t take that personally. You seem to read things more often as a personal attack, this is just a technical conversation.

Different personalities with different experiences, so yes, whilst your experiences are not doubt true, there are not universal experiences. Iā€™ve heard no such claims from my daughter. Different use, different local, different everything. Not even FP4s are the same.

So the arguments are personal and I agree Yvmuell does take issue with generalisations as do I, after all I am a person and donā€™t want to be include in other generalisation.

When people tag me with general experiences it could well get my back up. I could not respond but in a public forum itā€™s difficult to form an acceptable comment that everyone is happy about. And if someone is already not happy about a use of the phone it is night on impossible unless you joke about. Tried that and it still doesnā€™t come across acceptable.

Really a solution maybe for you and Yvmuell to meet up, even virtually and have a phone chat to see what the other is experiencing, wouldnā€™t that be fun?

Thanks for the entertainment, but Iā€™m switching channels before I get a totally unacceptable response. :hear_no_evil:

I really donā€™t think so much about the phone use, but the forum use. I write to get my thoughts out and Iā€™m thinking more of you and Yvmuell than I am the FP4

I would say that a thread with 300 replies, where people confirm the issues and FP hasnā€™t released a fix for it is reason enough to conclude something is definitely wrong. You cannot test this though, since you donā€™t own a FP4.

But if anyone else can chip in their experiences, that would be very useful. Because this is indeed not about my experience alone. So, did anything improve for other people?

1 Like

@yvmuell I really appreciate your engagement in the forum and your service to the Fairphone community with very helpful replies, e.g. to new users. On the other hand, it sometimes seems you need a lot of convincing to accept that there may be an FP4 issue that you may not experience personally, but others do. But maybe I am mistaken there. As a forum user, in these cases, I personally would wish for seeing more moderation. I dont see the point in telling others one is not having the issue the others are experiencing.

On the topic: Unfortunately, call quality for me is the single most annoying issue with my Fairphone 4 after more than one year of use. I expereince issues with it across apps, in various situations and settings. Everything in this regard has been already written in this thread, but if I should sum up the issue I experience: people do not understand me very well when I use my Fairphone 4 for calls. Sometimes they hear themselves in an echo, sometimes they hear my voice in a robotic sounding way (often, when I use loudspeaker), sometimes they dont hear me after I pick up a call (it then takes seconds until they hear me), sometimes they hear background noises so loudly that the call is uncomfortable for them and sometimes my voice is broken so that they only hear fractions of what I am saying (mostly when I am outside and not in a silent room). I dont see any patterns regarding ROM, which app I use or whether it is a normal phone call, apps like Signal or what not. I am always looking to not cover any mics.

For important calls, I have developed the habit to only use headphones (my Fairphone Earbuds, I like them very much) since this is the only way I do not need to fear problems during my call.

Its ironic, but my phone is really bad at doing calls. I will still keep it though, but I lost a bit of the confidence that there will ever be a fixā€¦

3 Likes

So this means you have the issues as well when not using FPOS? Do you use 5G or does your contract includes 5G?

Because

And for me its the same as described here

1 Like

For me itā€™s on all connections (mobile and WiFi). But 5G voice doesnā€™t use the same technology as using 5G data, which is what apps use to make calls.

Just my 5 centsā€¦

Using Signal for calls does not work at all with my FP4. Only choppy sound on both ends. I canā€™t hear the other person and my own voice is also just choppy.

However phone calls are ok so far.

Edit: with Jitsi meet the same - completely unusable :frowning:

Edit 2: no, I was mistaken, Jitsi meet works. Seems the network connection was a bit flaky. But Signal does not work, even with a good network connection. Iā€™m not sure if there is just a compatibility issue here.

But I have to admit, even though phone calls work in general, the audio quality is worse than with a cheap Xiaomi A1 phone which is already a couple of years old.

Provider: Telekom Germany with 5G or WiFi
OS: LineageOS 20 - but Signal did not work with the stock ROM either.

1 Like

Two members of my family use Signal video calls several times a week. FP4 (stock FPOS) to a OnePlus Nord, both usually connected to wifi.
No issues whatsoever :man_shrugging:

If I join them on my Calyx FP4 I donā€™t have issues either.

I remember however a time with previous devices when we had to use BT headphones because Signal created a painful echo otherwise, thankfully that hasnā€™t happened on the FP4 yet.

Funny enough phone calls are the one thing I had the most problems with ā€¦ (I donā€™t use my phone as phone enough to count this as a useful datapoint though)

Edit: Not sure if it plays a role here (it might for video calls), both FP4s have the sound set to mono and the balance all the way to the bottom speaker because the top one is just awful.
First thing I changed.

2 Likes

Have you also asked the participants how the quality is? Some people are being nice and others think itā€™s normal to hear themselves and clicking sounds and then donā€™t speak up.

I have been able to listen in on both ends of their conversation, so I donā€™t just know the FP4 side, yes.

And believe me, Iā€™m their tech support, theyā€™re not being nice, if there are problems they will bother me immediately :smile:

Still thinking about that mono/bottom speaker output though, @yvmuell didnā€™t you also change the output? :thinking:

1 Like

You mean this setting,or? So no, does not seem so

1 Like

Well, I was too eager (as usual) to declare that the problem was solved: Choppy sound has come back, despite solid 5G. Apparently the respite was just a coincidence, after all it does have longer hold-off times, IIRC it took over a month after I bought it to start having those problems.

Anyway, I hereby officially declare there is no discernible pattern, it does happen totally randomly and for no apparent reason (might even change during a single call).

Weā€™re not about to see the end of itā€¦ :cry:

1 Like

Yes. I am a happy CalyxOS user. Before its release for FP4, I used e/os. In between, I switched to iodeOS to test it for a few days. The change of ROM did not make a difference regarding the issue.

My contract does not include 5G so far except for EU roaming. I use fraenk (Deutsche Telekom).

Its the same for me, but I experience issues when doing phone calls far more often than when I am on calls through apps like Signal.

2 Likes

Greetings!

Here are my thoughts about the call quality situation with my FP4 5G updated to Android 12.

Today, I had two phone calls using handsfree. Compared to the calls made the days before, also using handsfree, they were fine. What I did was to lower the volume to 0. Yes, it is very low then, but since I hear good enough, it is fine for me. So that may be an issue with the Volume set ā€œtoo highā€.

Also, I truly donā€™t understand why noise cancelling is used not for handsfree mode instead of ā€œnormalā€ mode. Perhaps that also is an issue Fairphone should change.

It may also be a carrierā€™s issue if it hasnā€™t configured its network in a proper manner. I have seen that I sometimes can make phone calls using HD+ and sometimes not depending on the region where I stay, even if I had equal good 4G or 5G coverage or WiFi calling.

So my conclusion is to lower the handsfree volume as low as possible and to hammer FP support to enable noise cancellation for handsfree mode instead of normal calling mode.

The tests I had done where all either with Wifi Calling or solid 5G or 4G connections.

1 Like

Iā€™ll have to check my duaghterā€™s phone as I have an FP3. It this case the top mic is used for noise cancelling when used as an ear to mouth phone, but when in hands free and video modes the top mike becomes the main mic.

What is used how and when is documented here already

Well, here are a few more cents regarding the call quality.

Robotic sounds:
I noticed them when my FP4 was in the telekom.de 2G network. While the phone and the carrier were handling out how to best communicate with each other, I heard those robotic sounds. This is probably while network speed, EDGE or GPRS etc. are set and switched.

I came across this issue while playing around with my three SIMs. telekom.de is an eSIM, while vodafone.de and o2-de are physical ones. Now, if I use vodafone.de together with telekom.de and I start my FP4 5G, VoLTE is not activated for telekom.de. Therefore, calls fall back to the 2G network. VoLTE is activated for vodafone.de. If I use o2-de together with telekom.de, VoLTE is active for both SIMs. VoLTE is set to on for all my three SIMs by standard.

So, at least for now, itā€™s probably best to only use one SIM card to avoid calling quality issues. But since I came from iOS and then from a OnePlus 9, I can tell that this at least in part has to do with SIM card configurations, because I had experienced such stuff there, too.

Greetings, and have a good time!