Call quality and noise cancellation (regular calls, handsfree, Signal voice messages, Microsoft Teams video calls)

Hi all,

Since i have my FP4, when i put speaker on call and try to speak, people always tells me they have a lot of background noise and that it is not clear at all.

So basically, either I put headphones either I use it close to my hear.

Have you experimented it?

Thanks,

I moved your post to this existing, its a bit lengthy and so we still have all feedback together

1 Like

Hello,

I already submitted a support request for this but I figured I could add my experience to the list here too.

I’ve been trying to find a voip app over the past couple of days to stay in contact with family as I’ll be traveling for a while soon.

Since people often tell me that it’s difficult to understand me (quiet and/or robotic) over normal phone calls (3/4G), I figured I should test out the audio and make sure voip is working well enough before I leave.

I’ve now tried video calls on Signal, Telegram and Skype. All of which have various different issues on my FP4.

Signal has awful echo and extremely poor video frame rate on the other end. They can hear themselves loud and clear and my video only gives them a frame every couple of seconds.

Telegram is also unusable. The other side can barely hear me at all. “I have to move my ear next to the speaker like on a normal phone call.”

Finally Skype is quite the joke. I aborted testing because the other end sounds like a chipmunk to me…

I’m on FPOS A.170. I also tried iode 3.2, which has the exact same issues.
The internet connection is very good on both ends.

2 Likes

Thanks for also reporting this. Anyone who has similar issues, please #contactsupport. They prioritize based on open tickets.

My mother got a Fairphone 4 for her birthday but is experiencing strong issues with the loudspeaker mode when calling others. It seems to pick up noise around her and produces an unbearable experience to her, she’s discussed getting a refund. Since I’d be rather unhappy with that since she’d get a bad experience and would buy from less ethical manufacturers, I’d like to know if anybody has a workaround or something similar for that issue. She has already texted support, but its solution (turning off microphone permission for Google) doesn’t work and she hasn’t heard much else from support. Let me know if you have a solution.

TL;DR:
Microphone during call picks up bad audio, any way to fix?

2 Likes

A few side issues

• You have posted in a Dicuss Products category taggedd F2 so i will ‘move’ it
  • Please search for similar issues for example as a few others have posted

I have asked your post be moved to the following topic, there are others too . . .

So could you specify probably a bit?

Does she have issues with the microphone on hands free calls, so the other party has issues hearing her or cant she hear well via the loudspeaker?

Reg the first she is not alone and there was some improvement but not for all, extensive discussion here. for phone calls it seems to be connected to the mobile provider

Once you confirmed I can move the post accordingly.

It’s the first point, she’s got issues with the handsfree microphone.

1 Like

OK so I moved this over to the other topic, I assume Hardware was checked by calling

*#*#2886#*#*

I don’t think there is a fix, so far many people have the same issue. There were some improvements, but FP hasn’t fixed it.

As a workaround you can use a headset/earbuds, that’s all.

1 Like

same issue here - I’ve also bought a FP4 for my mother and I have a really hard time calling her because she always uses the hands-free mode, which produces really annoying and sometimes even painful (depending on the volume and if I have my earbuds/headset connected) noise when she’s speaking. We’ve also already deactivated the Google app, but it didn’t help at all.

1 Like

Best is to #contactsupport

Hello,
I have a problem with the sound quality during phone calls with the FP4: Other people complain about the sound quality (underwater-like and sometimes “choppy” sound).

Disabling microphone permissions for Google as suggested in this topic did not help.
Also The microphone test (##2886##) showed that all three microphones worked.
The Software is updated (FP4.FP4G.A.170.20220920)

I have now done the following call tests with fp4 on an iPhone:

1. phone call from fp4 from within a quiet room with no ambient noise:
    ->sound quality is fine
  2. phone call with fp4 from the same room making irregular noises while speaking (knocking, scratching against cabinet door):
    ->sound quality is choppy, the speaker is barely understandable
  3. phone call with fp4 next to running dishwasher (continuous moderate ambient noise):
    ->sound impaired, muffled, the speaker is barely understandable

(I paid attention to not cover any of the 3 microphones with my hand/fingers.)

The same test with inversed phones worked way better: the speaker was well understandable in all three cases

My guess: ambient noise filtering does not work properly on fp4 (software issue?).
Can anyone confirm/reproduce something similar on his fp4? Can we turn off the noise canceling during calls (as a workaround), or is there even a (real) solution?

Thanks so much and kind regards

2 Likes

Welcome to the community :wave: I’ve moved your post to this existing topic.

As you can tell, you aren’t alone with your problem. If you haven’t already, please #contactsupport so the issue gets assigned a higher priority.

1 Like

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone is experiencing some bad sounds issues with the F4? I can’t use the speaker or headphones and even without, people complain about the bad quality of my sound… I can hear perfectly the other person on the phone but apparently they don’t

Just to clarify, it’s not related to any poor connection network:)

Hope you can help !

Thanks

Yasna

Welcome to the community :wave:

As you can tell from the number of posts in this topic, you’re hardly alone with that issue :see_no_evil:
Please #contactsupport so hopefully this gets resolved at some point :crossed_fingers:

I too have these voice quality issues with my FP4 and I talked about them with my colleagues, two of them also using a FP4. Interesting result: One colleague has the same problem, the other doesn’t. The colleague with the problem and I own the 8GB/256GB variant whereas the colleague with the working phone has the 6GB/128GB version.

Has already been checked if the problem is related to the variant and perhaps it only occurs on the 8GB/256GB model?

Stefan

2 Likes

I have the 8GB version as well. Do you use the same carrier?

My colleague with the working phone and I with the non-working both use congstar, so this seems to lead nowhere…

I use the 8/256 version with Telefónica in DE and so far no one complaint about bad calling quality…

Does Congstar always use Telekom or do they have contracts with D2 or Telefónica as well?