Bright spot on the display

Has anyone got a screen replacement of the new batch and can confirm that there are no bright spots? My replacement screen started showing three spots after some weeks. It’s no big deal but it can be really annoying in some situations.

I am also interested in knowing if the new display will not get any more bright spots. I owned the Fairphone for almost 2 years. I replaced the display 2 times and once the phone was in repair. The Bright Spots keep coming back and getting bigger. The problem is not on the display. I wrote to support several times a few months ago, but never got an answer. One month ago I was contacted by the support if my problem was solved and how satisfied I am with the support …
Now again a mail back that my problem is still not resolved. But I have almost given up believing that the support will take care of it.

My ticket no. is: # 212239

pls. this is my last hope …

1 Like

I think you should just phone Fairphone to let them know something went wrong on your ticket. That often works to get a quicker response.

1 Like

Finally I got an answer from support after 8 Months…! The display can only be fixed by sending in the whole phone for an unspecified time. I can’t send in my phone, I only have one and I need it everyday. Fairphone assumes that everyone has or can organize a backup phone, interesting idea. So when choosing to join fairphone, be sure to buy another one in case your Fairphone is failing.

I know that this can happen to you with other phones too. But not several times in a row. I have now 4 cases, the second display and the second microphone, this is way too much hardware failure for this short period of time.

And because I can’t and won’t send in my phone, I wrote back to support and received this:

“Please note when your warranty expires it won’t be for free anymore.”

This sentence really makes me angry, because it wasn’t me who lengthened the whole process over 8 months! That is not the right way to deal with customers…

4 Likes

In your case, it seems they try to gain time and want to ride out the warranty period. :wink:

They most definitely don’t.

@nephilim: As long as you write a request stating that a part is broken within the warranty period it will be replaced under warranty, no matter how long it takes for the support team to reply.
But just fiy: You don’t have to accept such a long waiting time for a reply. Just give them a call and your request will be handled quickly.

4 Likes

It helps if you have your ticketnumber ready when you call them.

1 Like

I contacted the support on a regular base within my case online. I often received a message that is takes some more time to solve my problem. It doesn’t matter from which side or with which technology you contact support, it’s impossible that any problem takes 8 months to fix. and the best: it isn’t fixed.

2 Likes

The spots on my replacement screen are getting bigger and bigger. Wrote the support about three weeks ago, asking about a confirmation of a new batch of screens without this problem. Wrote again some days ago after not receiving an answer. I got a reply with the default procedure for ghost touches other display problems. Unfortunately, my explanation and the image I sent were ignored. As was my question concerning the alleged new batch.

I know the support has a lot to do right now. Still, this is a problem that exists for quite some time. I want to be sure that the next replacement screen won’t have that problem again. Maybe @Douwe can check in with the hardware department and get us some updates? I know that this is a community forum and we have to ask support. But that’s just what I did without success and I’m sure that there are more people here that want that information, too.

@nephilim I can second that. Sending away the phone for weeks is really inconvenient to say the least. Especially if it’s not the first time to be without a phone. I guess the Fairphone team has its reasons but if it’s a 2nd, 3rd or nth replacement, couldn’t you spare your customers this procedure?

1 Like

Could a new display indeed solve the issue? I might consider it.

It is not clear to me where the problem originates from. I thought it might have been a component behind the screen that causes the bright spots because everyone has them at the same locations. But maybe not, I don’t know.

I’ve gotten used to the bright spots by now, so it isn’t really bothering me that much. But maybe it would if they get bigger, as some people claim.

But indeed the durability of the phone is not perfect. In fact I bought some cheap china-phone as a backup in case my Fairphone breaks again. This sort-of defeats the whole point of the Fairphone.

Still a fan of the project and the phone though! The new back covers make such a difference.

There are definitely new screens: a software update was necessary to support the new screen model (New Display is not working). The old ones were sold out a while ago so a replacement will be a new one. I do not recall any report of bright spots with the new screen; only time will tell whether the problem is really gone but so far, it’s looking good.

3 Likes

Thanks, this is good news! Now I just have to find a way to get a new display without sending my phone away for weeks :smiley:

OK very good news :slight_smile:
I called the German support hotline and it was very good. I am waiting now for answer if I get a new display or the phone must send to the repair center. I will inform you …

Hi @Krawi. I have the same issue and I’m also wondering if it’s worth sending it in or if they can just send me the new screen. How did your contact with the german support turn out?

hello tobmuell
i was 2 weeks in holydays.
Yesterday i have send my fairphone to the office in netherlands. I think they will change just the display, but i dont know what they exactly do. I will inform you when i have my fairphone back.

Hello @Krawi did you get the FP back? it was repaired under warranty? I had the same issue, some bright spots on the screen and they asked me to send the phone. But do anyone know how long it will take to come back?

I have the same issue, roughtly in the same places. I’ve had my phone for a while now and already had the display returned for another reason. I thought I’d just wait it out to see if this issue was solved before asking for a new display (or I might get another with the same issue).

Any insight into the problem?

Rg.

The problem was solved for me in January. Sent my phone back for screen + battery change + tests on a Wadnesday and got it back the following Thursday.
No bright spots since…

3 Likes

Thanks for the info @tomgey

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.