Bootloop after LineageOS 17.1 OTA Update on FP3

I have updated my Fairphone 3 running LineageOS 17.1 twice now using the OTA updater. Both times, after the reboot, i get stuck in recovery with the message that something went wrong and that i should perform a Factory Reset. Both times i got it to boot again by changing the active boot slot via fastboot by

fastboot --set-active=b

which, after another reboot, boots into Lineage just fine, but the update is not applied. Does anybody have any hints for this? My guess is that the updating partition (a in this case) somehow does not want to boot and changing back to b just resets everything. But i do want updates at some point?
Any leads appreciated!

there is somebody with a similar problem:

As i said, I am not sure if this will fix it but you can try.

And sorry for the bad formatting. I suggest you to go to the original post so the steps are formatted correctly.

Thanks for the reply! I don’t have the Magisk app though (I don’t really need root access).

Oh, I thought it was root/Magisk related. Sorry :smiley:

1 Like

Hi,

I have the same issue, and all I can offer is a workaround. When a new update arrives, I go through the following procedure:

1. download the update to the computer (Win 10 in my case)
  2. reboot fp into bootloader
  3. connect fp to computer
  4. change a/b to the opposite (from a to b or vice versa) using fastboot --set-active=
  5. reboot into recovery
  6. apply update using sideload (without factory reset!)
  7. reboot

Works quite ok, hower, from 4 to 5 it sometimes takes some tries to really get into recovery. But so far I always got where I wanted :slight_smile:

Hope this helps, all the best, Jens

4 Likes

That works, many thanks!

Hello again,

has anyone followed the new instructions on the FP3 help page from LOS?
→ Install LineageOS on FP3 | LineageOS Wiki

They now explain a way to copy partitions as an important step:
" In some cases slot b can be unpopulated or contain much older firmware than slot a , leading to various issues including a potential hard-brick. We can ensure none of that will happen by copying the contents of slot a to slot b . This step is NOT optional."

Any experience reports appreciated!

All the best, Jens

EDIT: The instructions described there can easily applied later; relevant to those who installed LOS on the FP3 before the copy-partition part was included. See description here

Hi there

I’m a proud new owner of a FP3 and installed LOS according to those new instructions.
Beeing used to another LOS-device (Wileyfox) with TWRP recovery, I struggled at first with the incompatibility FP3<>TWRP.
But now, I’m up and running with LOS (and LOS recovery) and just applied my first update OTA, which went smooth. I got a bit nervous at first, because the FP3 never went into recovery mode, like I’m familiar with from my former device.
No issues with the first restart, soon the LOS logo appeared :sweat_smile:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.