šŸ’™ Blue heart as like symbol on the forum?

Wait till poll is over in 6 days.

1 Like

Letā€™s implement a ā€œheart colorā€ option in the personal user settings.

2 Likes

This would of course be optimal.

@anon83519835 if you can do that then I guess we donā€™t even have to wait for the poll results. Default should probably be standard red.

Is a personal setting really necessary? Gosh, itā€™s just a silly colour, so much drama for that. IMO it doesnā€™t worth the ā€œmake a Discourse pluginā€, ā€œmaintain it between Discourse updatesā€ and ā€œkeep a new register in the database for each user preferenceā€ efforts. But thatā€™s @anon83519835ā€™s decission, I guess.

I just see that as an arrogant solution* (ā€œI donā€™t want anyone to take a decission so letā€™s involve other peopleā€™s work to non-fix this with absurd technology I wonā€™t take part inā€). While Fairphone invest in going deep in how the production chain for fair gold in Uganda works, it really sounds like a totally Fairphone-antagonic solution to me.

Do whatever you want, I really donā€™t care about the stupid colour. But I care about this community. If a ā€œlikeā€ colour has the power to break us in two parts, we are no longer a community but just a network of individuals. Think about that.

*= I shouldnā€™t need to clarify this, but anyway. An arrogant solution doesnā€™t imply the people that come up with that solution is arrogant at all.

3 Likes

Please donā€™t judge things that you donā€™t know anything about.

I like the idea of a ā€œrelevance hurdleā€ that is binding for changes to the forum. Iā€™m wondering, would it make Rearranging Categories (again) obsolete? ā€œOnlyā€ 13 people have posted there.

In general Iā€™d just like to mention that itā€™s always easier to complain afterwards than to come up with good ideas before an action fails.

PS: Iā€™m very happy with the browser extension @Roboe made and if Iā€™d known that itā€™s ā€œso easyā€ Iā€™d maybe never started this topic in the first placeā€¦

2 Likes

I thought about it.
In my opinion itā€™s not the question wether a blue or a red heart are to be preferred, that is ā€œdividingā€ the community in this thread, but rather the way of communicating/acting with regard to that ā€œcolorā€-topic.
As I perceive it, it was the feeling ā€œWhy do you ask my opinion, if you just do as you like before a decision has been reached?ā€
And please ā€¦ the ā€œyouā€ is an impersonal one and not directed at any individual community member.

And doesnā€™t the way we communicate make it a community?
If someone is complaining about something I did or said, I often have to grant, that I used the wrong expression or said something that could be misunderstood or did not take someone elses interests into consideration.

As you can see from the following example:

I had no intention to judge anything. I just meant to reference a remark by Paula to explain, why I made the statement that followed.
And I am sorry, that you got another impression.

The poll has closed, can we switch back to the default setting (red heart)?

3 Likes

@anon83519835 the people has spoken. :heart: it is.
(or is it already switched back? I still have the plugin active, so I wonā€™t see the difference)

6 Likes

I have just liked your message to check, and no, itā€™s still blue.

1 Like

this is fixed nowā€¦

8 Likes

Just a note: my plugin is still available. Just PM me if something breaks.

6 Likes

i think blueā€™d be quite nice, indeed ā€¦ a bit weird discussion, though.

ā€¦and the discussion is over.