Better camera module needed now?

You know there is something between free of charge and a price increase right? If you need a new module and it’s not being replaced under warranty it’s not free now either. :confused:

AFAIK pixels are not everything, but rather the light sensor. I’ve not read this lengthy article, but it tells the same thing.

2 Likes

@Stefan

Yes - correct. Just as MHz does not necessarily mean higher performance and speed, same with HP.

But again this has turned out as a good sales argument. If a salesman wants to offer an 8MP camera phone to anyone he has to be very convincing. But bringing up numbers like 12, 16, xx megapixels most often doesn´t need much efforts to convince any customer.

Having a better sensor would also do the trick for FP2 of course. But who knows up to now what FP is doing behind the scenes. Our omnivision sensor had its peak time, but there are better ones available meanwhile.

@paulakreuzer

Correct. I am curious how FP will keep this in the future if a new module should be available.

1 Like

A new camera module would be nice, but it certainly is not a must-have.
In my opinion, it is most important at the moment to provide good service and good supply of replacement parts for the existing Fairphones. I have had mine for about five months now and it has performed flawlessly all the time. But obviously some people have problems with hardware or software. And this can be very annoying. So quick help and quick repair for those users who have problems with their phones is vital for customer happiness. And happy customers will make the best PR for the phone…
So in my opinion designers and developers at Fairphone should care for good service and availability of spare parts (and new Fairphones, btw!) in the first place.
But then, of course, time does not stand still. New phones are developed everywhere, and Fairphone has to take care to keep in touch. Modularity is one of the outstanding features of FP2, and so upgrading the camera module in due course of time (whatever that could mean…) would be a great idea. And an update to Android 6 would be great, too.
But possibly the easiest way to push FP2 would be by supplying more new back covers. The new cover is already developed, so it could easily (well, in my opinion, at least) be produced in many more colours. Many users would love that, and it would help to make Fairphone more attracive and more popular.
So these are just my two cents of opinion. Of course, giving good advice and bringing things into reality are two very different things…
Let me add just this - I really love my Fairphone already just as it is, and, as I’ve already mentioned, it works absolutely fine. It’s just great. You guys and girls at Fairphone are making a fantastic job. Keep it up!

4 Likes

I wouldn’t buy a new camera module if the old one isn’t broken, but I think that it could be a good argument for new Fairphone buyers.
The quality of the camera is quite good, as one can see on the dedicated thread, and I take some really nice pictures sometimes. So I agree with @freibadschwimmer and @Framb00s.
But for me (and I understand that everyone has different needs), a good camera for a smartphone should be easy to use, fast and should take good pictures most of the time with the automatic mode. Right now, I can take some good pictures sometimes, but sometimes pictures are bad. I am no photographer, so when pictures are bad, it’s mostly my fault I guess, but comparing with other phones, I sometimes have the feeling that the average pictures aren’t as good. I haven’t made real comparisons, it’s just a feeling when I compare pictures from the same party taken with different phones. But once again, could be me, could be the software, etc. (I use FPopenOS with Opencamera and I almost always use the automatic mode).

Yeah, that’s the only reason I could come up with… And that’s also probably what I am going to do :slight_smile:

Starting a new run of old design, and then a new camera alter is double production start costs.
As the exterior design physical formats and connector is fixed i guess a new camera can reuse the mechanical design, maybe even the casing mold.

If not too far in the future i think it would be beneficial to just produce an improved camera, and users upgrading can sell their old for others to use as spare part.

For me the camera is good enough, except better performance in dark could be a reason for me to buy a better.

1 Like

Yes they are. They’re very very poor, and Rh r camera is very very slow.

I avoid using the camera almost completely now.

1 Like

for me its good enough. sure in comparison to apple, samsung or huawei flagships its far behind but who really NEEDS that much pixels on a smartphone?

The other day I did a photo shooting with the Fairphone 2 and my old Samsung Galaxy S2. Both have 8 MP cameras. I found the quality of the pictures were very similar in bright light, macro, low light + flash. The color perception was a little different at low light, e.g. the colors from FP2 were a little bit more gray-ish compared to the S2. For me it is difficult to say, which color comes closer to reality.

FP2 has the 8 MP at a picture ratio of 4:3, whereas the S2 uses 16:9. As I am using 16:9 pictures were possible I reduced the number of pixels to 6 MP now.

Summarizing, for me the current camera module is sufficient for snapshots. For better quality pictures I am using a digital camera with optical zoom. The number of pixels is in my opinion overrated anyway, more important is the quality of the chip, characteristics like blurring for instance. I am just missing the panorama mode, but Hugin does better stitching anyway, it is just more work to do at the PC afterwards.

News from the MWC 2017: There will not only be a back-camera update but also a front-camera update!

article in german: http://derstandard.at/2000053272581/Fairphone-hat-Updates-angekuendigt

12 Likes

I hope that Fairphone clarifies soon whether the upgraded modules will be included in the long-awaited upcoming End of May FP2 batch. It would appear tough to me how to explain it to potential buyers otherwise.

5 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: :de: Wann kommen Android 6 und Kamera Upgrade heraus?

For me, the camera module is the most important part of the phone! Therefore, I have not ordered a Fairphone 2 (yet), because I could not find any official information about an update of the camera module. 8 MP and the overall quality of the chip are not good enough for me! I could live with it if I’d know that a new module is in development and the specs are 1… 2… 3… and will be available date yyyy_mm… So, please update your information policy…

1 Like

FYI:

But I agree, it would be nice to hear/read some news about a new camera.

1 Like

The latest info the community has is from 11th May:

1 Like

If the FP2 had a better camera I would not need to have a parallell “Unfair phone” as i take a lot of pictures in my work and even as i need and have a real camera for the best pictures. Adecent ohone camera is a big help as a complement it´s fast, you normally have it easy accesible, it does the geo-tagging. So a better camera in the FP2 would reduce the need a an extra device.

4 Likes

Yeah, I also would really like to know anything about the new camera module. Any rumors? Updates?

6 Likes

I have been waiting for 1+1/2 year for a proper Fairphone-2-camera. But now I realy have given up! I don’t think, that Fairphone is able to produce a real good camera, comparable with an I-phone or something similar.

1 Like

I just asked them via Twitter, and that was the reply:

Sounds good, right? :grin:

14 Likes