Battery problems (wrong charging status / battery might be dying)

hello,

battery (of a FP1) has been totally fine, until recently when i’ve noticed it run out of fuel rather more quickly than the percentage decline would indicate (!),

e.g. last night, 30pc remaining, turned on the GPS, went up a hill for about 30mins, at the top, discovered the battery conked out somewhere en route!

might have to buy a new one if this problem persists… unless anybody knows of a way to make the phone better aware of the battery-life decline?

h .

Thank you very much!

from the battery working fine until a month or so ago… this is now happening:

• the battery life drops off a cliff after 29%-ish:
  • alike the OP, after 13pc -> 4 -> 3 -> 2 -> switch-off!

so as my colleague pointed out to me, my phone is lying to me!!

any ideas as to how to re-calibrate?!

Same battery problem here. :confused:

I tried to charge the switched off phone and it works! Now battery works normal AMD dnt go down from 15% to 0% at 2 min, but of course it would be better to have a posibility to charge it when it switched on also. Thank you a lot!!!

Apparently the calibration is correct (as stated by @keesj elsewhere). It just seems that the batteries’ quality is quite low… Some people reported bloated batteries, and some other posters in this thread suggest, that it started with a wrong charging status.

I think that maybe 25% of the battery’s energy capacity are defunct and cannot provide energy anymore. IMO it’s not a big deal. The worst is a bloated battery, in this case stop using it immediately (it can explode)!!! :warning:

I just got some strange thing happening today: on the way to my job I was listening to music with my Fairphone, the battery was at 47% then a couple minutes later it just stoppedworking. Once at my desk I started recharging it and after a bit I could boot it up again. Is that a defective battery or a wrong percentage (because the phone worked for quite some time without having to recharge it).

I am starting to think that these issues are defective batteries, but having read a bit about warranty claims here, it seems hard to prove it.

I’m having the same problem, probably since i update to Cherry 1.6

My battery is going from 100% to 0% before my cigarette is all burned up.
When i place it back to my charger, its completely full within 2 minutes.

Last night when my phone went dead again, i placed my phone on my charger without turning it on.
But when i woke up, it only charged to 64%.
Turned it on with the charger still connected, and now its back to 100%

1 Like

Kann mir jemand sagen, ob es die fairphone batterie in Wien zu kaufen gibt.
Cas.

:uk: No, you can’t buy the FP battery in Vienna. You can only order it in the shop.

:de: Man kann die FP-Batterie nur im Shop bestellen.

I noticed that the battery only drains from 15% to 0%, when the screen is on. When it’s off the battery doesn’t seem to drain (the phone is still on when checking after some minutes).

Can someone confirm this behavior?

Edit: It could be that it’s the display, which causes the battery drain.

No. My battery is one step further: drains regularly to 60% drops to 30% in some minutes and then dies.

I ordered a new one (1 year for a battery. None of my previous phones did it that fast. At that rate I expect that I’ll have to order 2 more batteries during the life-time of the phone. This messes up the ecological footprint of the FP)

2 Likes

My FP also starts at higher percentages with draining, but the question was if it makes a difference if you keep the screen off?

Hello,
My battery seems to bloat.
I stopped using my phone, i only turn it on once a day to check messeges.
I think its the reason why my battery was draining so fast.
I submitted a ticket last friday, but no response so far.
I tried to call the support desk, but no one is picking up the phone.

I strongly suggest the people who’s battery is draining fast to check if their battery isn’t bloating or not.

1 Like

Hope, they reply soon! Also check Battery bloated for further reference. According to a quote from FP’s warranty policy you need to prove that the bloated battery is a manufacturing defect (e.g. through a photo).

So if you have not attached a photo to your support request, you should do so, to ensure that your request is processed as fast as possible.

Thanks Stefan, i already spoke with a FP employee and there sending a new battery right now.

1 Like

Just adding my voice and screenshots to the crowd. It feels like this started happening to me once I’d updated to 1.8. Once the better gets below about 50% a restart can cause the batter to show ~10% which then drains extremely quickly. Once it powers off, plugging a charger in till immediately bring it back with a chunk of charge!

You can see where I retarted the phone and had the % drop from about 50% to 10%. That then drained down to 1% and stayed there for a while. Once it finally failed, a 1 min charge restarted the phone with +10% again!

This one was me turning off the phone, putting it to charge for a bit then turning it back on. The battery level spiked from around 15% to 80% very very quickly.

My phone’s charge indication not only sometimes drops very fast into single digits until switching off itself at 3%, I also often experience it stuck when charging. For example last night I put it on the charger, it went from 3 to 18% and remained there for the rest of the night. Then, other times, it charges like others have described, with the indication jumping suddenly from ~14 to 50-70%. This behavior has started only recently, long after the 1.6 update…

Hi everybody…

I can’t stand it anymore.

I charge my phone 3 times a day and still can’t use it for a whole day. This morning battery droped from fully charged to 0% in two hours (!!!) and I didn’t even use it… just unlocked it once or twice.

This is intorelable… I don’t trust the indication, I don’t know when my phone’s charged and of course I can’t rely on it during the day as I have a lot of (bad) surprises.

I really need some help with it. Is it the battery or the phone problem? is there anyway to make it better?

PS my phone is first edition.