Battery problems after overheating

Hi!

Recently I left my phone under a pillow while charging. When I unplugged it it was extremely hot. I let it cool down and the turned it on. There first didn’t seem to be any problems. But since then, the phone often won’t charge when I plug the charger in. It always started to charge randomly at some point until now. Do you think that this is related to the overheating? And do you have any idea what I can do about it?

Thanks in advance,
Ella

Try a kickstart:
Let the battery run all dry (ignore all battery warnings until your FP2 switches off by itself).
Take out the battery of the phone;
Wait for half an hour and put the battery back in the phone;
Connect the Fairphone to a charger; If the charging light is blinking, it means that the battery was totally empty, wait for some minutes until the red light becomes fixed;
A loading battery icon should appear for a few seconds (a short press on the power button will display it);
Please keep on charging for more than an hour because the battery was likely totally drained. You might need to do it twice - or at least let it shut down by itself twice - before the report is better.

I’m having a similar problem, but the suggested steps didn’t help me. After the overheating over night my phone hardly reacts at all. To be precise:
The display has not showed anything but black since then.

I took the battery out and left it outside for several hours, recharged it for a while in an external charger and put it back in.

When I connected the phone to a charger without the battery the red led was on for a while and then turned off. When I connected it to the charger after putting the battery back in, the led blinked red for a while and then turned off. I have left it connected to the charger for over an hour.

I read and the troubleshooting guide suggested that it had something to do with a faulty usb connection. The phone does however get warm while charging, which is why I assume that the power is going through and there is another problem. If that assumption is wrong, please correct me.

Since my phone does not react at all besides a sometimes blinking led (in particular there is no loading battery icon), I wasn’t able to follow some of the advice I found online.

I would be extremely grateful for any further advice on how to proceed.

edit: Not sure if this is relevant, but I’ve had my phone for a little under two weeks and installed the lineageos.

If your display stays black, you might try to take it off, clean the contacts and put it on again.
And then, there is this helpful #blackscreenguide, offering some explanations. Maybe that helps.
Finally, there is always the option to #contactsupport if nothing else helps.
Keeping my fingers crossed for you!

1 Like

Thank you for the lightning fast reply!

I have tried the blackscreenguide but unfortunately that did not help either. I also don’t think it’s just the screen since the phone is also not vibrating when I press the power button for a long time. I have sent a support request and will wait and hope my phone can be saved (though I am of course open to further suggestions during that time :)).

I will share whatever happens when I know more.

My tip would be, to not wait too long for a reply from support, as that really can take some time.
As described in the contactsupport-thread calling can speed things up.

Thanks again. It’s a bit difficult for me to call during work hours, but I’ll try it. Anyway from this thread Current Support Status (Last update 27.03.18) it seems that their response time is improving.

1 Like

So just in case anyone in the future is searching for the same problem: I was just asked by the support to return my phone.

As to my experience with the support: They are all extremely nice, but I have to admit that waiting two weeks just to hear there is nothing I can do wasn’t great. The first response took about a week and was pretty much only a copy of the troubleshooting guide, only adding the request for some photos. So maybe to speed it up, clearly state all the steps from the guide and the results you got and take pictures of all parts when you take your phone apart. That might save you a week of waiting time.

1 Like

I have the same problem but my phone is older.
Do you have explanation about this problem? battery, bottom module, core module, … ?

Thanks

I have no idea where exactly the problem lies

There are some troubleshooting steps in this thread: FP2 Won't turn on or charge - See first post for troubleshooting

I recieved the following troubleshooting guide from the support, maybe you will get a reaction when following those steps. If not, you probably have to contact the support too. Maybe call to tell them that you already followed a troubleshooting guide for a quick response and include the results of all the steps in the request.

We are sorry to hear you experience problems charging/starting your Fairphone 2. This can have a few different causes and we would like your help diagnosing the correct one.

No matter what the issue is, please make sure your phone is up to date to ensure you are running the latest software, including all the relevant patches and security fixes.

Step 1: try out different chargers

The first thing we’d like you to try is to test a different charger and USB cable. We have noticed that very often charging problems come from a defective cable or defective charger, or chargers that are not strong enough. For more information on the specs of a good charger, please consult our support article How can I charge my Fairphone 2?.

If the charging doesn’t work with a different charger and USB cable please try to connect your phone with a USB cable to the computer. When it is set to charging it should automatically start to charge. If this is the case the chargers and/or cables you tested are not good and need to be replaced.
You do not have to reply to this mail and go any further with other steps. You can get a charger at a local store.

If the device is still not charging, please proceed to step 2.

Step 2: diagnose the issue

Remove the battery and connect the device to the charger. It can now happen that your phone enters a boot loop.

Scenario # 1 - The device enters a boot-loop

Each cycle of the loop will follow this pattern:

the Fairphone logo appears on the screen;
the display turns off and the LED on the top left corner shortly blinks red;
the phone vibrates;

If your device enters a boot-loop, your battery needs to be replaced:

• If your battery was purchased more than a year ago, the warranty on it has expired and the cause of the issue is probably normal wear and tear of the battery. In our online store you can order a brand new FP2 battery.

• If your battery was purchased less than a year ago reply to this e-mail to let us know. Please make sure that we have either your original order number, or a copy of your proof of purchase.

Scenario # 2 - The device does not react at all

If the phone does not react to the charger being plugged in (the display stays black, the LED doesn’t light up and the phone does not vibrate), please proceed to step 3.

Step 3: remove and reinstall the bottom module

Remove the module and reinstall it. Check out this iFixit guide on how to do so. All you need is a Philips # 0 screwdriver.

Once you remove the module, we’d like you to take some pictures. We might ask you to send them to us at a later stage:

The back of the module
The front of the module

You can then reinstall the module inside the phone. Before installing the display, please take some extra pictures:

The inside of the phone
The side of the phone with the IMEI1 and IMEI2

Now complete the assembly, turn on the phone and test it out performing steps 1 and 2.

If the issue has been resolved, you don’t need to write us back.

If the issue persists, please write us back and let us know which of the scenarios applies to you. We will help you further.

1 Like

Thanks a lot,

I contacted FP support!

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.