Backing Up data from FP3 with a Dead Screen

Hi, y’all!

after a cold (yet not freezing) night out, Phone’s touchscreen began to work rather badly…
Went back home, charged it overnight and let it the night to be in a warmer condition and mood.
Nothing changed.
I felt like investigating the contact pad… but after disassembly, no more screen at all…
Not knowing whether problem was due to a faulty screen or a faulty motherboard, FP’s After sales services told me to send it back to FR-FP Repair center in Dinan after backing up but…
How do you come to do this without a screen?
Do i have to turn the phone on and start it fully (with pin code/unlock code) or would it work without?
Luckily i set up the auto-mount in Android short before the failure…

Hence they were more prone to changing the whole phone, i really need to secure data first since i’ve got weeks of work in it and really need to back it up…

For some reason, i can’t see it/mount in Explorer (Win10), yet i can see it in Device Manager (was named FP3 and after playing a bit with drivers USB MTP something…)

Ordered a new screen, that i got a few tenth of minutes ago…
Not working either. So the phone’s future is quite compromised…

Yet when turning on with new screen (vibrates, charging led lighting on…) i now can barely notice the Fairphone startup logo, black and white style, in an overly subdued pattern, then…nothing really noticeable/discernable.

I’ve still got hope to access to disk one way or the other…

Any help would be grealty appreciated!

Yours,

Solo

1 Like

So the screen is no longer turning on? If it does and you can connect a mouse through an OTG adapter, you can enable USB debugging and then back stuff up through ADB.

Have you tried cleaning the brass contacts that connect the screen to the core module with isopropyl alcohol? Sounds like you may have a bad connection.

Well, i would have answered yes (screen is not turning on) to your first question before trying the 2nd screen… but it’s really really far from being somewhat barely useful (only the startup logo is noticeable…then… mystery… i can’t even know if touchscreen is working…)

So the Mouse thingy is not really a viable option in this specific case.
I tried to no avail to connect an USB-C touchscreen i have for computer, but it did not seem to work/be compatible…

Is it possible to emulate the screen on Win10, one way or the other? (like to make screen movie for tutorial or something…?)

Is any alcohol ok to clean contacts? I have some pharmaceutical alcohol (something like 70 or 90%…) that i could try…

70% is not ideal, but it’ll do. Just make sure there’s no water remaining before you put the phone back together.

I’m going to look up some information on backing up data without a working screen or USB debugging… I’ll get back to you.

Have you made sure the plastic holders (that hold together screen and the rest of the phone in addition to the screws inside) are all “clicked” in? (No gaps between screen and core?) My own experience is that these are at least as important for the connection as the screws.

1 Like

Good remark here Sir.
I already noticed it was quite challenging to have them clicked in sometimes.

Plus i had a problem with the new screen, the connector board (screen side) was not 100% well mounted, so it was on overlay preventing from clicking…
Fit it back in place with my nail and now, everything seems 100% closed, clicked and screwed back together.
But still the result is…not helping.

@robbert.f : Thanks a lot for you research ! It’s somewhat tiring that there is so much security in technologies that are just locking you away from any solutions.
It’s like having a lock in your house, and risking to lose everything in it because you broke the key…

I get why we do that very well… but Utter non sense to have security anoying probalby more the owner than any actual thief.

2 Likes

@robbert.f, @urs_lesse, and others…

Still searching for viable options at least to back up FP3 on Win10.
It’s not visible for some reasons in explorer. Yet it is in Device Manage (USB MTP device or something like that…)

Being phoneless now is the worst period ever, i guess…

Thanks for your help!

Sometimes driver trouble gets in the way of MTP functioning properly … this here should help (if driver trouble would really be the issue) …

And then there’s still Windows N …