Back up text messages

I have some ‘issues’ with my phone (FP2) loosing contact to the sim-card!
One step in the process of establishing what is wrong is to reset the phone. I believe I have most data backed up or I can handle loosing them, it is only my text messages, which I’d quite like to keep, but am not sure whether they’re included in the general backup. I use the app ‘Messages’.
Does any one know what to do?

Thanks
Jeanette

There are several so called “SMS Backup” apps in Google Play store. There is also one “SMS Backup+” app in F-Droid app store. Unfortunately, I haven’t tested them, so I cannot recommend any.

Anti features: The Google apps I have found by a quick search don’t look so trustworthy to me. The F-Droid app needs an IMAP server to function, and it has issues with MMS (multimedia messages).

Maybe someone else can give a recommendation on a proper and easy-to-use app.

1 Like

MyPhoneExplorer can easily backup messages (and all the other personal stuff) from the phone to a computer, but is Windows only.

2 Likes

Thank you for the respones.
After a few battles with USB debugging & ADB-drivers (mainly due to lack of skills!) I have managed to let MyPhoneExplorer transfer the vital stuff to my PC - and have, with a slightly trembling finger, pushed ‘reset to factory conditions’ :slight_smile:

:slight_smile: Jeanette

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Hello,

I wanted to know if anyone knows a SMS backup software (or backup in general) for the FP2 which works under Linux.

Thanks in advance,
Mathieu

P.S.: I have seen a similar thread (Back up text messages) but it was closed yesterday !

Thanks for re-opening the thread. Any advice for Linux users ?

Hello,

Thanks for the answer (and sorry for the delay). I have struggled a bit ti install MyPhoneExplorer 1.8.9. Here is a quick recipe:

• install wine and winetricks (depends on your distro); I have wine 3.0 on Ubuntu 18.04.1
  • download the installer from the website
  • BEFORE installation, run winetricks vb6run (otherwise you will have an error message at startup and if you install it after, you will get another error message (error 372))
  • install the program (double-click on the installer or through the terminal)

I can launch MPE and will assess it in the newt few days.

HTH,
Mathieu

Hello,

I tried to connect with Wifi and cable but it doesn’t work. Do you have to install the adb in wine or the linux host ?

Mathieu

Sorry, I forgot to install the companion app on the phone. It works now but I had to restart MPE several times to be able to download the messages on my computer.

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.