Auto-correct / suggestion issue with Google Keyboard

Maybe I misconceived that the popup comes up, when tapping the outer words. My fault!

• hmā€¦I think the other way round it is correct: you cannot tap on the outer words, when the grey popup has appeared (what in my case I cannot provoke intentianallyā€¦because I donā€™t know why and when it pops up)ā€¦am I right, @UncleBAZINGA?

• And yes: I use the standard Google Keyboard

• And no: I can not choose another keyboard neither in settings nor by long pressing space (just speech and my other two languages available) ā€¦ but no problem, in general I am fine with the google keyboardā€¦

Oh now I know what you mean with the ā€œPress here again to save the wordā€ thingy.
For me usually the popup appears and not that thingy but now I played around a bit a normal tap really randomly results in the one or the other. A long tap however always starts the popup.

So here are the ā€œrulesā€ for the AOSP keyboard:

• You get 3 suggerstions, the one in the middle is most likely, you accept it by tapping space
  • You can tap one of the other two suggestions to accept them
  • If you want more suggestions long-tap the word in the middle (the button for the popup is symbolized by the ā€œā€¦ā€ underneath the primary suggestion)
  • Once the pupup is there you can tap the button again to save the word you actually put in.
  • To close the popup erase/retype the last letter.

Does the Google keyboard show different behavior in one of these points?

3 Likes

First of all thanks to all for your feedback!

@therob: yes, youā€™re right, I can fully confirm what you are describing.

So it seems that this is somehow by design and how this Google keyboard should work. Even though I find it very annoying and contra productiveā€¦ Iā€™m fine with the keyboard in general, but this one thing can be a showstopper. Sometimes the popup appears for every second word I type.

There is a new official Google keyboard in the Play Store. It seems to be the one from Android 4.4, but is backwards compatible. Maybe I try this or Swype/SwiftKey, but Iā€™m vey concerned about privacy. Not that the standard Google keyboard would be a better choice.

Are there any good working keyboards with swype-like functionality out there for Android which arenā€™t collecting and sending data etc.?

So it actually pops up on its own, without tapping the middle suggestion? I donā€™t think that can be intended behavior.
Or does it only automatically popup if you pause writing for a moment?

I donā€™t think so. Read here.

Btw, did you read my post right above yours? We posted at about the same time.

1 Like

You are the savior of (my) day, sir! :smile:
The Google keyboard works exactly the same as you have described. When I press longer on the word with the three dots below it, the popup of my screenshot appears!

I think my issue is that the touchscreen of my FP1U often requires are stronger and/or longer press to recognize the touch. It doesnā€™t feel broken to me, just different to touchscreens which I was used to before. Thatā€™s why I often got the popup with word suggestions.

Once again thank you very much!

Do you think, my touchscreen behaves normal. Is it the same with other FP1Us?

2 Likes

Glad we worked it out. :smiley:

Some people reported different problems with FP touchscreens. You could do the touchscreen test to find out if something is really wrong and if it is you should contact support.

1 Like

Thanks again, I will do the touchscreen test and if there are some issues, Iā€™ll contact the Fairphone support team.
What a great community the Fairphone has. Awesome :smiley:

2 Likes

Itā€™s not random: If you write a word that is not in your dictionary yet, short-press and you will be asked to save it. Long press and the popup will appear.

Maybe adjusting the reaction time in Settings > Accessibility > Reaction Time Touch/Hold results in a better experience for you?

Thanks @Stefan, but the reaction time already is set to ā€œshort/fastā€.

I use MessagEase keyboard which I found very useful and fast, moreover by installing XPosed Framework and XPrivacy module you can choose the permissions to grant to any app, keyboards included :wink: you can find more information on security here

2 Likes

As reported above sometimes I am also confused about the keyboard behaviour of the FP1/Android ā€¦ but I get used to it.
Just if anybody can me explain, why the auto suggestions give me different guesses when I use the phone in the horizontal or in the vetical orientationā€¦Strange behaviour, isnā€™t it?

See yourself:

vs.

2 Likes

Hi everyone, I am new here, and have to say I am finding the FP1U keyboard a nightmare! Can anyone help it is making it so slow for me to text! It just writes utter nonsense and clearly my fingers are too large for the keyboard or something!! Help!

Did you try the SWIPE feature, where you not have to press the buttons instead you which from one to another, only release your finger to end a word. Space is inserted automatically but you can only swipe words which are in the dictionary, as the keyboard has to guess, what you mean.
But it is astonishing good in guessing :wink:

I have found a solution that works most of the times =)

Wenn the many suggestions pop up swipe on them from top to button. In most cases they disappear and you can select the words from the bottom list with the three words. In some cases the list with the many words reappears. Then try to swipe it down again. In other cases it selects one word of the top list. In that case you will have to erase the word, and type anew.

TL;DR: If the long list appears, swipe it from top to bottom to make it disappear. Works in most cases.

Sometimes when Iā€™m typing on my FP1 and I touch something on the screen I get this extra popup with other autocorrect suggestions:

When that popup appears my only options seem to be to choose one of the words it offers, or to delete the entire word Iā€™m typing (using the backspace key) and start again. This is a pain in the ****. I never want that popup, it appears by accident, and I donā€™t know what causes it or how to get rid of it.

1. What triggers this popup?
  2. Is there any way to disable it? The suggestions are never useful.
  3. Once it appears, can I close it again and choose one of the normal autocorrect suggestions? e.g. in this image I want to choose ā€œcommaā€ from the three suggestions above the keyboard. I donā€™t want ā€œcommaā€™sā€ or ā€œconā€™sā€ or any of those options.

Iā€™ve moved your post here because this topic already deals with your questions. Please read the discussions above and, if you still have questions, post them here.

1 Like

Thanks, I tried searching but didnā€™t find this topic.

The answers above say when itā€™s supposed to happen, but as others have said, the popup appears without doing a long-press on the recommended suggestion. Maybe thatā€™s a bug.

ace28ā€™s suggestion for getting rid of the popup seems to work, but doesnā€™t let you choose from the original three suggestions again (there seems to be no way to avoid erasing and retyping a character once that damn popup appears).

But if this is just the stock Google keyboard I guess thereā€™s no much that can be done to change it for the FP1.

Thanks for the info everyone, this has been annoying me for years.

1 Like

Yeah, I also find it annoying. Maybe youā€™d like another keyboard better (like AnySoftKeyboard)ā€¦