Anyone used an iZettle card reader with Fairphone?

Hi all, I hope this is in the right category! I’m an artist hoping to sell my wares at stalls and I want to purchase an iZettle card reader so that I can accept credit card payments while out and about. The card reader hooks up with your phone and then communicates with banks etc. Trouble is iZettle don’t seem to know whether I can use their reader with a Fairphone and I wondered if anyone here had experience of using the two together? Here is a list of phones that can use the card reader, if that’s any help…

Haven’t tried it, but I would be surprised if it didn’t work, considering the following info from iZettles website:

“Please note that the Chip & PIN reader should work with most Android smartphones and tablets which have Bluetooth and an Internet connection, and where the iZettle app can be downloaded.”

The FP fulfils these conditions.

However, the site also says that “It is not allowed to use iZettle on a device which has been jailbroken or rooted” - and the FP is rooted by default.

“Not allowed” is of course not the same thing as “Doesn’t work”. But maybe this could put you in some kind of legal trouble.

1 Like

Important question to ask as well is which version of Android they require? For instance, Bluetooth LE is only supported from Android 4.3 upwards. While I don’t expect a device like this to use Bluetooth LE, it’s certainly possible.

edit:
oh I see there’s Android 4.0 phones listed on their supported phones page, so the Android version shouldn’t be a problem here and it’s immediately obvious the device doesn’t use Bluetooth LE.

Don’t think this should be a problem. iZettle’s own list of supported phones includes devices running Android 4.2 (as the FP), 4.1, and even 2.3

thanks all - I hadn’t realised that the Fairphone is rooted by default! iZettle have been a bit useless TBH and I might try another provider.

The fact that the Fairphone is rooted might be a problem. In Belgium we have this app “Yelo” which allows you to watch TV on your phone. However, this doesn’t work when your phone is rooted. The same goes for the “Bancontact/Mister Cash” app which allows you to easily pay back small amounts of money through your phone: doesn’t work by default on the Fairphone.

Luckily, there are some methodes to ‘bypass’ this and give the apps the ‘illusion’ that your phone isn’t rooted. Search around on Google and Youtube and you’ll find numerous solutions. This does not guarantee, however, that it’ll work with i.c. the iZettle Card Reader.

The fact that the Fairphone is rooted might be a problem. In Belgium we have this app “Yelo” which allows you to watch TV on your phone. However, this doesn’t work when your phone is rooted. The same goes for the “Bancontact/Mister Cash” app which allows you to easily pay back small amounts of money through your phone: doesn’t work by default on the Fairphone.

Luckily, there are some methodes to ‘bypass’ this and give the apps the ‘illusion’ that your phone isn’t rooted. Search around on Google and Youtube and you’ll find numerous solutions. This does not guarantee, however, that it’ll work with i.c. the iZettle Card Reader.

Your question is from a while ago but I will still reply as other business owners might wonder about this too.

I tried it for my photography business today. It didn’t work.

Robin’s suggestion would have been great if it worked. I tried RootCloack and another app. Both of them didn’t do the trick unfortunately.

Maybe someone has a suggestion for a payment card reader that does work on Fairphone?

I can report the blue audio jack version of it working on a rooted FP2.