Any indication on a Fairphone 5?

Just about to purchase the FP4 and I wondered if there is any announcements of the FP5 and if its worth waiting…

1 Like

Welcome to the community :wave:

No announcement and no rumours so far.
If you have a working phone at the moment, I’d wait. The FP4 is getting 2 years old soon and there’s a limit to how long it can be supported. You will get a much longer support timeframe if you are able to wait for the FP5.

3 Likes

Still 5 years warranty, and.

I’m on my FP3 and waiting for the FP6 :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Warranty isn’t everything, if the platform doesn’t get further security updates it’s usefulness diminishes greatly as well.

At a certain point QC won’t release new security patches and while FP has said they’ll push it further, there’s no guarantee they can.

3 Likes

Thank you!

I’ve actually got a FP3 which would be fine but i’ve broken it by mistakenly using the wrong charger. I have a lenovo charger that looks exactly the same. I dont know how long i’d been using it but it doesnt charge properly now, the charge port on the phone - the cable falls out, if you get the balance right it remains in but only charges the phone at an extremely slow rate. If I put the phone on battery saver, turn everything down/off, it fully charges in about 48hours.

I could do with a new phone buuut I am really tempted to just put up with it…for a FP5 :-/

1 Like

well, if Fairphones are made for one thing, then for repairing them veeery easily :slight_smile:
Just get a new bottom module and your phone should be charging properly again:

9 Likes

Will that fix the charging issue - i looked on there but that sounded as though it was for speaking etc. Ok thank you!

The bottom module contains the USB C charging port, the vibration ‘motor’ and the primary mic, but not the speaker :slight_smile:

The speaker module is separate

1 Like

In the article below they mention the following.

‘Duurzaamheid speelt een steeds grotere rol. De innovatie in smartphoneland is de laatste jaren aan het afvlakken, bij Fairphone wordt de prijs-kwaliteitsverhouding juist steeds beter. Met deze investering is er geld voor campagnes voor het grote publiek, en de Fairphone 5 zit ook in de pijpleiding.’

Translation; they are working on the next Fairphone. But indeed, no specifics about a target release date. It could be in October, or maybe next year, who knows…

3 Likes

I assume you’re sure the problem was caused by the Lenovo charger and not dust having entered the USB port and so causing the cable to fall out?

1 Like

I’ve been charging my FP3 for years with my Lenovo USB-C charger, it’s working great (best charger I have at home).
But I second the plug for a new bottom module, I’m on my 3rd (2nd still charged but didn’t ‘grip’ right, though it was better after I cleaned it thoroughly). Maybe I’m not a very careful cellphone owner, but with any other brand I’d have one phone last about a year and a half, and I’ve had my FP3 for over 3 years by now.

1 Like

I dont think so? It doesnt look as though it has lots of dust and I have tried blowing out any dust that might be in there.

1 Like

It’s not dust but a crust that I managed to get out of my port (after 10 minutes of work with a pared down wooden toothpick).
In any case, with a new bottom module, my phone became good as new. Ymmv.

1 Like

So fairphone 5 is listed as one of the devices on which the 10 year video was shot.

I guess that means there is a real, live FP5 in the wild.

For further discussion

1 Like