Another random discussion about FP

I see a huge difference between being a blind fan and let people say wrong things. And since some keep repeating the same accusations without proof, of course there will be the same useless conversations again and again.

By the way, if you don’t answer my comment about Fairphone employees using the smartphone built by the company they work for, we would not be here again.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t mind joining the beta test with focus on Phonak hearing aid users.
But only if I can use a degoogled OS.

Is there a beta test without the FP OS?

I doubt that FP will do any beta testing on degoogled OSes. To my knowledge their only officially supported product is the FP OS that is shipped. While other OSes can profit from the downstream releases, I doubt that they can beta-test the same fixes at the same (development) time as the FP developers.

1 Like

Not sure which question I didn’t answer. But maybe PM me, since it becomes a one on one discussion anyway.

It’s not an accusation, at least, not from me. It’s a suspicion that they don’t use these devices themselves that much. Things might work fine in a controlled test environment, but to me it seems they don’t really explore the phone by hand after a new update is finalized. Or use the phone on a day to day basis. Otherwise I would’ve expected different responses from FP support.

Also I suspect many are iPhone users based on how the phone is designed in terms of notifications. Out of the box the notification bar has the carrier name, like an iPhone, without any space for notifications. Also no always on display or LED for notifications. Just light up the screen for a few seconds and that’s it, like an iPhone. Anyway, these are theories I have as a user to make sense of the product. I wasn’t the one who brought it up in the update thread though, but I’ll try to tone it down. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

It‘s like most Pixel phones too, no notification LED and no always on screen. On the other hand, there are iPhones with AOD.
That‘s what Aliain_Guillet expressed: A lot of accusations and assumptions from your side. There‘s not much positive feedback, only nagging, flooding the forum with posts and new threads for every small inconvenience you can find on a Fairphone product.
That‘s at least the impression you are giving. We all know, that Fairphones have issues, even the Fairphone employees know, and most people here are aware, that the communication was bad and is only now getting better. But hearing all that from you on a daily basis, like a thread mill is very exhausting.

2 Likes

This is not true. All Pixels have had an (AMO)LED screen, also the ‘a’ series.

Those are iPhones that are released after the FP4. So these arguments are not really valid.

There is a lot of positive feedback, but definitely not on a daily basis. I’m testing the Fairbuds XL and before I have to return it I reported some issues. Bluetooth issues and wind noise even in the smallest proportions are really not small issues for a 250 euro device.

Then there are some old FP4 topics that are still alive because those issues are not fixed. But I’m not updating those topics on a daily basis. Then there are the Fairphone OS update threads, which is just once a month (if we’re lucky). And yes, sometimes a discussion pops up. I’m trying to explain my reasoning, because the replies give me the idea that my point is not understood. People don’t have to agree, but if the point I’m trying to make is not understood then I’ll try to explain it in another way.

But yes. This thread is definitely going on for too long. Note that I didn’t start it, so please don’t single me out here. But definitely it’s time to leave this thread. Please DM me if anything pops up.

4 Likes

Actually you started it by this

And thats what @Alain_Guillet meant “if you would not have answerd…” when he said above

1 Like

The top comment is not mine. But yes, I did got involved, but no I didn’t bring it up. Alain was already in the discussion. Apparently I didn’t read that comment from Alain correctly, I thought he meant something else. If your point is that I’m too present in this thread then I agree. Life is indeed too short for this :slight_smile:

You are right, I really didn’t know that my Pixel 4a has an AOD. As I didn’t had that with any previous phone I didn’t realized, that I can activate that in the settings. Now, as it is at the end of its lifetime, it got its last update a view weeks ago, I found a new function :slight_smile: .

Maybe, I didn’t check that, will do later.

Your reports completely filled the first page of the forum. For every little bit you didn’t like, you started a thread, that was really annoying.

2 Likes

I was socialized in a work environment where our customers complain about issues. and if we don’t react, they will increase pressure until we solve the issue. i often was heading such troubleshooting projects in the past. that was not too funny in many cases. now in my current position I am something like a product manager for the stuff we improved in the past solely due to customer pressure. and today often enough I am very happy that our customers pushed us so hard because that’s the reason why now our products are better than the ones of competitors.

why i am telling you this? because i am convinced that without annoying customers like myself, many companies will not have enough “motivation” for continuous improvement which is mandatory for success. And success is what I want FP to have.

5 Likes

While I do agree that it was sort of annoying and looks like a lot of complaining at first, I can absolutely see the point of doing it anyway as it provides the best open bug tracker we have for those issues at this time. The posts have since vanished from the front page and don’t annoy anyone any more. But instead of mixing all the various problems in one thread, we can now track their progress much more neatly.

7 Likes

But you also know, that this is a user forum, no bug tracker for Fairphone developers. So why bothering all the users instead of the support team?

1 Like

Naming issues yes, however with the intention to put pressure and repeating ad nauseum is just annoying and give false impression of having control (whats its actually all about when you try to put pressure on someone).

Also FP always listened to their customers even at times where the customers were a lot more patient and did not willful put pressure on them, else the products would not have changed that much from Version to Version.

3 Likes

Exactly, this here is for the users to keep track of what the current issues are. This way everybody can be up to date.
I think it’s important that people who buy the products can know what they get. As much as I want FP to succeed: By creating unrealistic expectations you’ll ultimately only frustrate and lose those people.

4 Likes

It depends on the type of pressure, I’d say. Spamming support repeatedly is likely only going to make things worse as they have to work through those useless messages.
But I think it’s absolutely valid to have as many people as possible report their (real/serious) issues to support so they can get their priorities right and see what the most urgent problems even are.

1 Like

Well, if it’s a real issue probably, but not if it’s maybe a single, small inconvenience, I can discuss with other users. And not raising the finger, ‘Dear Mr. Teacher, I know something’ again, and again and again.

3 Likes

I def disagree here, as for me its about the intention I do something (either here or by opening a ticket) and there is no 2 way to put pressure, thats always manipulative trying to control things (even if the intention might be a good one).

I have an issue that bothers me? I report to support, maybe mention it in the dedicated topic in the forum however I dont make it a general task “I have to put pressure on them and tell them how bad they work”.

I don’t see anybody pinging him here. And 4 days is enough time for a company to breathe before giving a statement.

I really wonder how such things are in the work surroundings of people defending the extreme slow movement of FP. Maybe my conception comes from I am working in a commercial company while others are not used to that?

everytime he is quoted he is notified

Edit:

just because I’m not in the “putting pressure team” it does not mean I’m defending something.I just dont consider it to be my job to improve FPs processes and try to be a bit more patient, thats all. The current screen sensitive issue so far does not seem to be very serious to me, so why not just waiting a bit and let them do their job and come back once they have a bit more details?

3 Likes

I will repeat the usual statement about the forum : it is not here we should report bugs to Fairphone and Fairphone employees read the different threads from time to time so no, you don’t pressure on Fairphone when you complain here.

3 Likes