Android Auto not connecting anymore

Below are the steps suggested by the Fairphone support and some follow-up mails. None of this helped. Please see also my exchange with OldRoutard

Step 1: Check compatibility

Make sure the car is supported by Android Auto.
Some cars only support Android Auto via cable connection. If you haven’t yet, try connecting with a data cable. Check the car’s manual do see which USB port(s) should be used.

Step 2: Update

Update your phone

Make sure to Update to the latest software your to the latest software: Fairphone OS v.065 (Build number FP4.SP28.B.065)

Depending on your country and phone carrier, you might already be able to download this update, or it might be available to you in a few weeks.

Update Android Auto

1. Go to Play Store and search for Android Auto.
  2. Tap on Android Auto to open app page.
  3. Tap on Update if available.
  4. Try to connect again.

Step 3: Reinstall Android Auto

1. Go to Play Store and search for Android Auto.
  2. Tap on Android Auto to open app page.
  3. Tap on Uninstall.
  4. Once it uninstalls, tap on Update. This is equivalent reinstalling the app, as it’s integrated into Android since Android 11.
  5. Try to connect again.

Step 4: Bluetooth troubleshooting (if connecting via Bluetooth)

Reset Bluetooth connection

Remove the paired car that is not working from your Fairphone.
Enable Bluetooth, and then go to SettingsConnected devicesPreviously connected devices → tap on the cogwheel icon next to the device → tap on the button Forget. Try to connect again.

Clear Bluetooth app storage and cache

1. Go to SettingsApps & NotificationsApp info.
  2. Tap on the three dots menu in the upper-right corner → Show system.
  3. Tap on the search icon next to the three dots and type in Bluetooth.
  4. Select the app and then select Storage & cache.
  5. Tap on Clear storage. This also clears the cache.
  6. Restart the device and try again.

Other

• Try other Bluetooth devices (speakers, headsets, etc.) and let us know if they connect.
  • If it’s only a specific device that is not connecting, let us know what the device is and its model.

Step 5: Cable troubleshooting (if connecting via cable)

• Try with another cable. Make sure it’s a data cable. You might be able to use the same cable that you use to connect the phone with your computer.
  • Try a different USB port in the car. Check the car’s manual if there is/are dedicated port(s) for Android Auto connection.
  • Check if you can connect your phone with your computer and let me know.

Step 6: Safe mode

Reboot your phone in Safe mode and try to connect to the car again.

Thank you for your message and for providing all the information.

Would it be possible to try the following:

Connect the device via cable to the car
Swipe down from the top of the screen to bring up the quick settings menu.
You should see a notification from Android system saying 'charging this device Via USB. it will give you the option to Tap for more options. (If it does not, pelase take a screenshot)

If the option is available, you should be taken to the page for USB Preferences. Can you take a screenshot of this page, please?

Thank you for your message and for providing the screenshots.

It may be an issue with the data transmission through USB. Would it be possible to check to see if you have the same issue when connecting to a computer?

If the same issue occurs, it would confirm that there is a data transmission error through the USB. If you are able to connect to a computer then the issue would be specific to Android Auto and we will have to further investigate.

Thank you for your message and for all the information. It does look like there are some issues with the transmission of data with the USB port.

I suggest we diagnose and repair your phone at our repair center based in France. To send it to us, please follow the instructions below:

There seems to be a general problem with AA connections: Here is a news link (German): Golem.de: IT-News für Profis
It refers besides other to Android Auto disconnects for some following updates

Maybe this is also part of the problem described here…

1 Like

Thanks Lars !
see my new mail in the thread
Jörg

Today I received a new USB port for the phone. I replaced the old one and … no change. Still no connection.
Bummer…
As a last possibility I reluctantly reset my phone after a complete backup. No change the issue persists. I’m out of options other than sending in the phone for replacement

Did you try to revert to an older version of Android Auto?

Hi Lars,
I just tried that. Does not change anything. The phone does not recognize a USB connection to the car. Only charging

1 Like

So it seems, that your case is not the one mentioned in the news, then. I guess, we will have to wait until you get the USB port replacement and have it installed.

@JoKa91400 have you tested the FP4 in another car and with another USB A cable (if even the cable you use works with another phone).

Have already received this weeks update and installed it?

1 Like

Hi Lars,
Yes, have tried several different cables, a very short one included.
Yes, latest update is installed
No, have not tried on another car.
I believe there is something wrong with the USB subsystem because connecting the phone to a computer (any computer whether running under Windows or Linux) is also arbitrary.
I’m now waiting for a reply from Fairphone to get a temporary replacement phone before I send in my current one. I cannot afford to be without a phone.
Anyway, thanks for following up
Best regards
Jörg

Do you really need to send in your phone? I guess you could order the USB-C module and try to replace it on your own. Or ask the support to send you the spare part.

Hi Lars,
You probably missed out on a previous mail. I had ordered a new USB port and replaced the old one. It did not change a thing. A issue remained

1 Like

Sorry, really must have missed that one.

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.