Android 12 has come to the FP4

Same here, on Orange France. Let’s face it, we’re using those “some Operators” which “will be delayed” (see first post). We’ll simply have to wait till our Operators have finished updating their bloatware apps so they can correctly pollute that new A12 version… Or whatever.

According to @Yasen_Tomov, “with some luck, it will be out before the end of March”. Patience, it’s just 2 months (or more)… :pensive:

What happened to the Material U feature? I cannot change any colour… The option doenst exist, I can only change the wallpaper. Any Ideas why FP leave this feature out?

4 Likes

I’m in Switzerland on the digitec connect nework (using the Sunrise network), and I’ve just received the update. Installing now!

1 Like

You could use the Repainter app. That works just fine on my rooted FP4

Yes I read about that, but I’m not a geek and I dont dare to root my phone :).

2 Likes

Android 12 without the TOP The Android 12 features :frowning: , plus bugs in the Laucher :frowning: see under the other Thread:
Customisation features not in FP4 version of Android 12?

1 Like

Thank you, Google, for the Android 12 upgrade… NOT.

While it is great that Fairphone offers the latest version (and hopefully will do that for the next few years), it is a disappointment having to adapt to a fundamentally different UI without being able to make adjustments (e. g. customising “material you”, changing/disabling the lock screen clock &c.)

Thankfully I’m not affected by the BT issue reported elsewhere, but I do miss the ability to make screenshots via three-finger tap or via the rightmost of the three navigation buttons. I’ve always had problems with the clumsy volume down+shutoff method.

Don’t know if Android12 contains a lot of important security fixes, but if not it would be great if Fairphone could offer the opportunity to download and revert to Android11.

1 Like

Although I cannot release specific information about the carriers’ approval processes and status, I can tell you that the tests performed both on Fairphone’s and partners’ side are thorough and cover a multitude of different areas (from customization to telephony features).

Sometimes, especially during OS letter upgrades, issues can be found during these testing sessions and it is not always so easy to solve them. Generally speaking, when Fairphone makes the decision not to release a specific software to a portion of customers, it is because the software can negatively impact the usability of the device, one way or another.
And that would make receiving the software update pointless, as the users affected would encounter a degraded experience.

We are working hard to align the user experience on Android 12 for all our users as soon as possible.

20 Likes

Thank you for your explanation. But if the respective providers were named, there would be clear conditions. So we do not know if it is the phone or the provider.
Kind regards

Yeah I feel the same. A bit surprised they removed this. I used to screenshot by scrolling up and then pressing the screenshot button. That button is now gone. Very peculiar.

2 Likes

jeah the BT bug is just one setting that has to be changed (turn off Qualcom AptX).
Except one guy with a more serious problem about power consumption, but it seems to be just one person.

And are those features in other “nearly stock” Android 12 versions? Or is it a general 11->12 problem?

Great, thanks for letting us know!

I downloaded and installed it and it works fine. Good job!

1 Like

So does that mean, that One Handed mode, material You and the Camera&Microphone quick setting tile will come in a later update?

1 Like

If you’re using aptX/HD Audio, might need to turn that off. Was experiencing the same, someone on reddit mentioned to disable aptX. That’s “resolved” the issue for now, hoping for a fix in a future update.

Yes, this was very convenient. Removed the notification bar and the navbar (if enabled), without having to crop. This would be a welcome feature to have back.

I have installed the update, but it feels I am on a beta version. Some things are missing or broken.

• Screenshots are missing
  • The searchbar in the homescreen disappears after a while
  • The mentioned privacy toggles for microphone and camera are missing
  • Some graphics feel sluggish

One good thing though! Selfies are not mirrored anymore.

1 Like

It’s not gone. It was just moved! Click on the app icon on top. You’ll find “Screenshot” in the menu there.

8 Likes

Cool, thanks!. A bit non-intuitive and I could not find it in any Google search for “screenshot android 12”.

I’m a little bit lost! What do you mean by “app icon”? Maybe you could post a corresponding screenshot :smirk:

2 Likes

It is not possible to screenshot that screen. Click the rectangle (app-switcher) and than the icon above the running app. There you find the screenshot function.

3 Likes