Android 11 has arrived! When will we see it on our 3's and 3+'s!

Yes that would be Great if FP3 getting also A12 update.
The A50 from Samsung even got 2 Major Operating System Updates. It came with A9 then it had A10 and now A11 update.
I’ m just saying because The A52 is already out for buy.

But its depending on Qualcomm i think

As a community member it’s quite hard to guess what Fairphone will do in the future, but looking at the past: the Fairphone 2 got 3 major OS upgrades. Released with A5 it got A6, A7 and recently A9 (slightly more than 5 years after the FP2 was introduced).
So I trust that the will be able to do “better than average” with the FP3, too.

5 Likes

No. To put it in a nutshell, project Treble was developed to allow a faster update procedure once a new android version is out, i.e the chipset maker and the phone manufacturer can both work separately on adapting the code and then put it together, whereas before the phone manufacturer had to wait for the chipset maker for its own adaptation. But if the chipset maker decides not to do its part of the work, then there’s still a part missing which FP must adapt themselves.
It may make it slightly easier, but that is, I think, mainly details. Although I’m not a developer to be able to assert it.

You seem to have different quarters in your year than everybody else.

Oh.
I made a Typo :joy:

I mean Q3 starts from July to September. Lol

:joy: Haha Lol it was just a Typo

Guess what, Android 12 is out.
I’m no expert regarding development of Android, but I do know there’s a lot of investment needed to build it. Now that 12 is out and my FP3 still has Android 10, do you really think it’s smart to put all this effort in an OS that’s technically speaking not new anymore? I would just take a breath and work on Android 12 for Fairphone instead.

Hi @Jay_P your comment refers to a post almost year ago so Android 12 wasn’t available then, so @abittner wasn’t behind the times

However that post by @abittner was rather demanding and I wonder if they actually contacted Fairphone with their complaints.

So we wonder 11 or 12. It’s largely down to what Qualcomm can get their Snapdragon 632 chip to do Android 12 may be a step too far.

The following link shows some of the criteria for Android 11 then you get to the 500,000 compatibility tests :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi,
I’ve seen that Android 11 for FP3 is under beta test.

Do we know the estimated general availability date for that update ?

Samuel

As always: When it’s done.

3 Likes

There are 2 ways to work in informatics :

• When it is ready which means when we think it is good enough ;
  • At a given date but then the software can be released with a lot of bugs.

Even if the first possibility will always have some bugs, I would prefer to wait a bit and get something usable rather than having a unusable Android 11.

4 Likes

I’m a software developer so I really understand what you mean.
I agree with you that “When It’s done” is the best answer but as far as I’ve experienced it is always combined with some time range estimate.

Anyway, I will indeed wait for the release to be stable enough to be deployed on our great FP3. :grinning: .

Thanks everyone for their passionate answers to my, I thought, innocent question.

1 Like

Here the official statement, have not seen any update since then

1 Like

It is going through beta testing now :slight_smile:

@anon9989719 Is the beta test still ongoing or can we expect Android 11 to be available on FP3(+) soon?

Yes it is still ongoing with no indication of how happy Fairphone developers are, but I don’t see it happening in the next few weeks or months :frowning:

Soon ?? What’s that :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thx for the feedback.

Well at least the current version is stable (and patched) on the FP3(+) :wink:

By “soon” I would expect early 2022 as announced by @formerFP.Com.Manager :wink:

Since I missed the deadline for the Android 11 beta I’m curious about the progress for this first major version.
Are there users on this forum who have the beta version and how does it compare to android 10?
And for Fairphone; when will this version roll out to regular users?

I moved your topic to an existing one, to avoid duplication. This is a user forum, so Faiphone might not be answering your question here.

2 Likes