Android 10 upgrade - Random reboots

Same problem. unbelievable!

Good thinking, I’ll keep an eye on things

1 Like

Tightened the screws this morning (after having coffee, just to make sure :+1:).

Yet, I’ve had 3-4 reboots today, all of them with the phone just lying around in idle mode.
(The phone sometimes also doesn’t wake up when trying to unlock - from time to time this ends up with a reboot as well.)

Becoming a bit frustrated here :confused: (after having lived with an unstable FP2 for several years already…).

Hello,

A year ago, I oder 2 Fairpone 3.
One for using, one as spare part.
Since the Android 10 upgrade, the “using” FP3 restarts from self 1-6 times a day.
Set the FP3 as recommendet to factory defaults, afterwards “install” the APP’s from APP store.
The FP3 restarts from self 1-6 times a day.

OK.
Take this morning the “spare” FP3, upgrade it to Android 10.
“install” the APP’s from APP store. And the FP3 restarts from self until now 4 times.

I think there is a challenge by the new Android 10 on FP3 classic.

I think first, the “using” FP3 can have a hardware problem.
But the until now not used (stored in the originaly box) “spare” FP3 has the exact same trouble.

Well, I think I have to reactivate my “old” Sony until the trouble by FP are solved.

Greets Martin

PS
as on call it is important to have a working (not self rebooting) phone

Adding to the conversation that I also have a Fairphone 3 which has been rebooting at random since the Android 10 update. Very unlikely to be hardware issue as it will occur even if the phone was lying still on the desk for more than an hour. No reboot troubles prior to this. Ive had software problems with the sound on the Fairphone 3 also.

Any word from the Devs on this?

2 Likes

I’ve had 3 reboots already this morning (including one while typing this message) so it looks unrelated to the SD card

I’m very sorry to hear that! Anyway, thanks for the feedback!

1 Like

I have an FP3 with stock FPOS and a sizeable number of third party apps. No reboots with Android 9 and no reboots with Android 10.

1 Like

Happy to provide logs to help diagnose this, if anyone from the dev team is reading!

Dev team? Fairphone has outsourced the OS development to its contract manufacturer in China.

Ah I didn’t know that. Thanks.

4 Likes

I submitted a support request (with a link to this thread).
On the one hand to ask them for support. On the other hand to ensure that Fairphone is aware that some users experience stability issues.

2 Likes

Another FP3 user with random reboot issues, 4-10 times a day now. It seems to be more frequent when being more used, as it only happened once during the weekend when I was in the mountains with poor signal and barely took out the phone.

Particularly Firefox (main browser), RedReader for reddit use and Materialistic for hackernews, seems to make it reboot more often.

Edit: Oh, and prior to Android 10 this never happened (unlike on the FP2…)

I’m yet another FP3 user that is seeing several reboots/restarts during a day. This happened after the Android 10 upgrade, prior to that I had no issues at all.

Really hope this gets resolved. Up until the update the FP3 has been awesome!

@formerFP.Com.Manager could you ask the relevant persons to look into this, as it seems quite a few people have this issue?

3 Likes

Could it be because of a too warm CPU? I have the feeling my phone is warmer now than before at the CPU location.

Note that I experienced no unexpected reboot since the update.

Just installed “FP3 3.A.00045” (August 5, security patches).
Not getting my hopes up for the stability side of things, but it’s a new build after all - let’s see… :innocent:

2 Likes

I had random reboots as well after ubgrading to Android 10. This morning i clear the caches of the most used apps like browser mail etc… Ever since it worked without reboot. I will get back tomorrow with an update…

3 Likes

Just want to add I have the same behavior with FP3 - no reboots with Android 9, after upgrade get occasional reboots randomly.

No SD card in use.
Don’t suspect there is any specific app triggering it, had reboots when using Settings app, most of the time while browsing (99% of time I use the phone for browsing).