After leaving wifi there is no mobile data - reboot is necessary

Hi all,
For some time now I have experienced that everytime I leave home and my wifi connection, my Fairphone 4 does not connect to mobile data - or that is: I cannot use the internet, using for instance my radio app and I will not receive any messages or notifications. Returning to wifi is not enough, I have to reboot the phone for it to connect.
Any suggestions for how to fix this? I have tried going through the app settings, making sure that I have not accidentially turned something off. I am not very tech savvy, but I am really not aware that I have done anything that could result in this annoying situation.
Best regards,
Julie

Try instead of rebooting switching Aeroplane mode on and off.

Sometimes it helps to remove the APN settings of the SIM card and enter them as new.

Thanks a lot for the answer and suggestion! Really appreciate it.

Yes, switching Aeroplane mode on and off would indeed be easier - but I would of course prefer not needing to do it at all. I have located the APN settings (did not know about this until now) and will try this out.

Did you get a resolution to this? I’ve had what I believe to be the same problem. Usually rebooting the FP4 resolved it, but that’s not working either now. I’ve just tried testing airplane mode on/off, doesn’t seem to help either

I have a feeling that this problem is related to the carrier (company providing the mobile network service) and possibly the OS version. If you don’t find a solution I would advise you to contact both Fairphone support and your carrier.

Have a look at some related cases.

In addition to switching Aeroplane mode on and off, another thing you can try, is to

• switch Wi-Fi OFF when not needed
  • switch mobile data OFF when not needed

so that only the one or the other is ON at any one time. This again is only a work-around but still quicker than rebooting.

Hi,
Unfortunately the problem is getting worse. I have to turn off the phone (airplane mode is not enough). And some time I have to do it several times a day.
I can’t tell any difference whether or not I leave the wifi on all the time, but usually I turn it off when I leave my known wifis.
I really have no idea what the issue is related to, so yes, I think I need to contact Fairphone.
But thanks for suggesting the other cases, I will have a look.
Bw.
Julie

Hi,
Having look at the related cases suggested by @OldRoutard I have tried deleting my VPN (after a morning with 4-5 reboots). It is too early to tell the long term effects (I did it an hour ago), but before deleting the VPN I did not have a connection and immediately after I got. So fingers crossed this was a solution in my case!
Bw.
Julie

1 Like

Hi,
Yesterday I resolved this issue of not being able to connect to the network. I removed the battery and sim card for a few seconds and put them back in again. So I recommend trying that incase it resolves the same issue for you too.

I had tried clearing settings, rebooting the phone on the fairphone guide, and non of those worked in my case.

Richard

1 Like

Thanks for sharing @Richard_Atkins. I tried the same a couple of days ago, but it only worked for a short time. However, after deleting my VPN app yesterday, I have not experienced any problems, so I think that was the solution for me.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.