5200mAh battery FP5?

Why? Do you have any evidence for that?

1 Like

It’s obvious. You don’t even need a math degree too see that.

I understand that people make the point of reducing phone usage etc. but Fairphone’s aim should really be to make a device that is equivalent to other devices, if it is ever to have a wider market appeal.

I know people will argue about the sustainability values and I completely agree but if the device doesn’t have wide reach then it’s sustainability still doesn’t have a large impact. Having a larger capacity battery shouldn’t have had a huge impact on the resources used.

If a lot of people do a little we achieve a little.

If a few people do a lot we still only achieve a little.

In the future, I would like to see a fairphone 5 battery with higher capacity (obviously at a higher cost). Please remember that this device is billed as being usable for 10 years and what is “passable” today will be poor is 2-3 years and dreadful in 5-10 years in my opinion.

Probably not on the resources, but rather on the dimensions of the device. And you know:

2 Likes

With a math degree you would be familiar with how scientists are working, It‘s not just guessing without any evidence.

6 Likes

Same. Make it 10.200 instead.

I tried to solve it by proposing a FPX series so FP could keep the lower performance general purpose phone, but people keep telling me it is unrealistic.

1. I do own several FPs including a 5. One charge doesn’t hold a day with a crisp new battery!
  2. I also do own a “dumbphone” which I charge once a WEEK and it is tough as a brick. I love it!
  3. There are phones with 20K+ batteries out there lasting for 5 days with average use.
    = It is a widespread market sickness suggesting user expectation instead of listening to real needs, just like the whole non-removable battery business.

Small battery does hurt the planet:

• You either double the use of your charging port with no wireless charging
  • Or half your battery connectors life with constant swapping
  • Not mentioning the price, annoyance and weight of a powerbank.
  • Battery is the hottest topic for a good reason

It is about power consumption, not about the fake “technical limitations of the battery” argument like in the car industry:
If you have a small battery in your electric chariot, you need an infrastructure of charging stations. If it is not available, people will go with the combustion engine.
If you keep increasing the size of your SUV, the oil tank needs to increase too.

Similar with phones. Do users prefer huge screens with small batteries?

Because it is. If there would be a possible significant market share, don‘t you think one of the big players wouldn’t offer something like that?

2 Likes

It is still inevident if I enter that market.
Maybe I switch for a good quality wildlife phone at the price of mother earth, which is self contradicting like a crocodile in a vegan restaurant, and keep FP as a fancy business device chained to the charger in my office which is like an antilope in the lions cage…

Why should a Fairphone be chained to a charger?
BTW for wildlife photography,I would use a decent system camera with a wide open lens, not a smartphone.

1 Like

No more fish from me.

4 Likes

Bad comparison. A dumb phone can indeed sleep for most of the time. If you let your smartphone do this it’ll go for such a long time, too, if not even longer. I just recently installed /e/OS on my old FP2, charged it and then let this fresh install idle around. And guess what: That same phone that in normal smartphone operation barely made it through the day could go for 5 days.

It will with a crisp new setup. I might be repeating myself, but there’s two sides to this “the battery isn’t big enough” story: One thing is the battery, but the other one is a mixture of inefficient apps, users not noticing it or not caring, probably FOMA connected with endless scrolling in some cases which all together leads to resources not being used as efficiently as they could be used. And this is not Fairphone specific. Of course if you need any functionality all the time (e.g. walking through the forest for 20 hours with GPS and screen on), a general purpose device may not be up to this, but then it doesn’t make sense to optimize this device to this use case. Others might have other use cases, so what to do then?

You aren’t talking about needs, you are talking about desires. All in all this discussion reminds me a bit of what Mahatma Ghandi said: “The world has enough for everyone’s need, but not enough for everyone’s greed.”

I’m sorry you left the discussion exactly where it was getting interesting.

I could accept this discussion easily if you guys said “the battery isn’t big enough for my use case”. And then let’s see what are the options. But by repeating that it isn’t big enough for everyone which you think is common sense but which isn’t, there’s a picture in my head of a child that stamps on the ground and screams “more, more, more!” which may be just as difficult to satisfy as the the ever-growing wishlist that we can read about in this forum and that “everyone” wishes to have.

6 Likes

When a majority of reviewers, who possess the knowledge and experience to evaluate such matters objectively, unanimously raise concerns about the battery life, it becomes rather difficult to ignore.

I’m currently testing a FP5. I wouldn’t say the battery is bad. It’s actually quite good, I can get more than seven screen on hours in ten hours after a full charge, with a good coverage. That’s a big step backwards compared to the FP4, but i “expected” worse.

2 Likes

@melroy89 give us an update as well? Are you satisfied?

I believe those reviewers and I take it seriously, still I think that many (most?) people (I wouldn’t exclude myself to a certain degree, I spend energy on posting here…) use their devices in an inefficient way. Therefore reviewers have to say that the FP5’s battery is too small.
So we may agree on that other devices with a comparable battery size may go longer which is an indicator that “something” in the FP5 is less efficient which bothers me of course because I’m an efficiency fan. Still that doesn’t mean that it is an issue per se for everyone.
But we are mainly talking about bigger batteries. Then you brought up the chipset as source of inefficiency and being asked to provide evidence there’s nothing than hot air. Math will probably not be the best profession to estimate that. I’d expect the hardware developers to have tested that out. As an end customer however I wouldn’t dare saying it’s clear where the rather high energy consumption comes from. We might get an indication when another phone with that chipset (Shift?) will come out, but until then I ask you to either provide sources for your statements or mark them as opinion.

5 Likes

Not worth my time man …

Quite the other way around based on the evidence of quality of argument.

8 Likes

Constructive…

I would like your opinion about the battery test made by GSMarena since we see Pixel phones do worse than FP5 with a bigger battery.

2 Likes