đŸ‡©đŸ‡Ș 2nd Sudden death Fairphone 3

Im Herbst 2021 ein Fairphone 3 gekauft. Nach 13 Monaten SUDDEN DEATH, ĂŒber Garantie repariert bekommen (anscheinend Mainboard-Ausfall). Nach weiteren 12 bis 13 Monaten erneuter SUDDEN DEATH, der Fehler sieht identisch aus und ich vermute erneut Mainboard-Ausfall. Über meinen HĂ€ndler Cyberport reklamiert, als Antwort kam nun “außerhalb der GewĂ€hrleistung”, da der zweite Ausfall etwa 25 bis 26 Monate nach Kaufdatum liegt. Ich konnte das GerĂ€t allerdings wegen Erstreparatur nur weniger als 24 Monate nutzen.
Der Kostenvoranschlag liegt bei 226.- EUR. Und das nur, damit ich möglicherweise nach weiteren 13 Monaten den nĂ€chsten SUDDEN DEATH erlebe. Da wĂŒrde ich mich lieber von Fairphone abwenden, denn die Versprechungen (Ressourcen-schonend, Benutzer-freundlich, neuer Weg in der Smartphone-Welt 
) erweisen sich fĂŒr mich als 
 vorsichtig gesagt sehr mutig und großspurig.
Was kann ich tun ? Warum kann ich kein Mainboard zu akzeptablem Preis zum Selbsteinbau auf eigenes Risiko beziehen. Warum ist der Tausch so teuer ? Warum erleiden so viele Fairphones den SUDDEN DEATH - hier scheint es mir möglicherweise um eine herstellerspezifische Schwachstelle zu handeln.
Ratlos in SĂŒddeutschland
Lubi57

Warum? Keine Ahnung. Viele? WĂŒrde ich im VerhĂ€ltnis zur Anzahl der verkauften Menge nicht vermuten. Passiert auch anderen Herstellern

All das hilft dir jetzt wenig.

Hast du dich mal an Fairphone direkt gewendet (Geduld haben freundlich bleiben und um Kulanz bitten), am Besten ĂŒber das generelle Formular, weil woanders gekauft

Zu Preisen: da Mainboard ist halt im Prinzip das Smartphoneund somit der Grossteil des Preises

Edit und willkommen im Community Forum

2 Likes

So außergewöhnlich, dass es immer den gleichen passiert.
FP2 nach 14 Monaten Coremodul defekt (kein Netzempfang). Nach 14 Tagen E-Mailverkehr, durfte ich das FP2 einschicken. Das AustauschgerĂ€t hat nach 12 Monaten die Segel gestreckt-Coremodul defekt (kein Netzempfang). FP3 gekauft und nach 25 Monaten Coremodul defekt (Sudden Death, lĂ€sst sich nicht mehr einschalten). Da das FP4 fĂŒnf Jahre Garantie hat, hoffe ich, dass ich dieses Mal mehr GlĂŒck habe und ein Telefon lĂ€nger als 26 Monate habe. Falls es regelmĂ€ĂŸig ein defektes Cormodul haben sollte, war es mein letztes Fairphone. Andere Hersteller haben mittlerweile auch fairere Telefone.

unterdessen nach etwas langwieriger Prozedur mit sehr gut unterstĂŒtzendem Service bei FAIRPHONE ein Angebot erhalten und mit leicht knirschenden ZĂ€hnen angenommen 
 das defekte Fairphone3 geht zurĂŒck an FAIRPHONE und ich erhalte zum Vorzugspreis ein neues FAIRPHONE4 
 jetzt hoffen wir mal, dass die stabiler laufen; denn selbst bei 5 Jahren Garantie ist wenig geholfen, wenn alle 13 Monate das Ding fĂŒr eine Reparaturzeit von ca. 6 Wochen aus dem Verkehr zieht; der Trend zum “ZweitgerĂ€t” könnte sonst fĂŒr FAIRPHONE kritisch werden 
 aber die Hoffnung stirbt zuletzt

3 Likes

Der Grund könnte bei einem defekten Power Managment IC liegen.

In diesem Post wird die Reparatur erklÀrt: Fairphone 3+ is dead, will not turn on - #7 by sarofel

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Hi everyone,

I bought second hand my first FP3+ in april 2022. Worked great for 5 months, then I had to change the bottom module, it wasn’t charging anymore. Changed it, everything went fine, then I invested in USB-C covers to avoid dust from my pocket to come inside.
Worked great. Until March 2023 where I experienced a sudden death with my FP3+. The phone never fell into water, but I work in a farm, and probably the combination of dust in my pockets and cold outside temperatures with high humidity in winter was no good for my phone. The 2 patches had turned red. Tried everything I could with an ultrasonic bath and isopropyl, I once got some sign of life but that was its last breath.

I then decided to buy another FP3 in april 23, second hand, so I could have all the replacement modules. Worked great for some months, then I had some strange colors on my screen sometimes, turned out the contact between the motherboard and the screen waa somehow oxydated, I got that fixed with isopropyl, worked great.
Then, a week ago, while I had decided to make an isopropyl bath for the phone’s general health, I had another sudden death experience

The phone still needs to dry up a bit, so I’ll try to switch it on later on, but I also got my old FP3+ out and was wondering wether the problem could come from the frame, which also has some conductors in it (they are clearly oxidized!), and not from the motherboard?

Do you recommand cleaning the frame as well in an ultrasonic bath?
Also, do you recommand giving a try with contact spray? The thing is, it doesn’t dry as well as isopropyl or even water, can I try turning the phone on if there is some contact spray on the components?

Thanks a lot for your help!

Clément

1 Like

The FP4 and FP5 are IP54/IP55 certified. Maybe next time try one of them?

I didn’t read anything about if you tried baking the mainboad in the oven, How about that?

True, but since I had all spare parts for a Fp3, made more sens to me to buy a second hand one.

The solution to sudden death might not be very far from baking in the oven :

“I just replaced the PMI632 with a temp controllable hot air gun at 380 °C and preheating the motherboard to 160 °C on a heatplate for several minutes. Important is to use a good soldering paste (flux paste) during the process. Before doing this i watched a couple of youtube videos where they replaced the PMI632 or similar BGA chips. The ordered PMI632 have allready new solderballs attached so reballing was not needed.
The PMI632 sits under the upper shield next to the battery connector on the side of the PCB with the display connector. Be careful removing the cap of this shielding case and do not bend the thin metal sheet - because underneath are attached heatpad.”

Replacing a defective SMD device is very far from just ‚baking in the oven‘.

Jens replied with absurd humour and so did I
 :slight_smile:

It was not meant with so much humor.

The "Replacing a Qualcomm PMI632 power management integrated circuit " is far beyond I would recommend.

There are 2 different problems: 1. a broken chip, 2. a faulty soldered joint

Just baking in the oven can help with 2., not with 1.

“Bakerman is baking phone” :wink:

Wow, really thought of it as a joke, coulnd’t figure out that some people really maanage to fix their phones by baking them in the oven. I’ll try that today!

About the 2 different problems (broken chip and faulty soldered joint), are these 2 general problems responsible FP3 sudden deaths, or do you think that they are the reasons for my particular case?

Thanks!

Caution thats most likely only temporary and only put the core module in the oven, not the platik frame!

That is beyond my scope. Maybe anybody else knows which error occurs how often, at least the reported ones in this forum.

Thanks so much for the oven tip! I did a batch in the oven for my actual FP3, my FP3+ out since march '23 and a friend’s FP3+ dead in november '22.

My FP3 has been working great again for 2 days, my friend’s one has worked again for just one hour, and my old FP3+ didn’t even bother to launch again.

I’ll keep you updated for how long my FP3 will be running!

1 Like

I have had exactly the same experience: a dead fairphone 3+ that was replaced in warrantly after some 14 months. Replacement phone also dead after another 14 months, no warranty anymore. Reflowing in the oven did not work out for me. I bought a new phone, I will offer what is left of the phone to anyone interested.